Update: Orioles sign 17 international players highlighted by Basallo and Hernandez

connja

9 minutes ago, weams said:

Interesting.   Those were never made public when they were occurring, where they?   I still read the Sun every day, as well as Roch/Steve on MASN, and I don't recall ever even seeing a blurb noting that Elias was down there at any time.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Interesting.   Those were never made public when they were occurring, where they?   I still read the Sun every day, as well as Roch/Steve on MASN, and I don't recall ever even seeing a blurb noting that Elias was down there at any time.

I doubt Elias wants that info known. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Orioles sign 17 International Free Agents

Per Melewski:

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/01/basallo-and-hernandez-head-up-os-international-class.html

"The Orioles today announced a signing class of 17 international amateurs, including the club’s first two players signed for seven figures. Per industry sources, the club has contract agreements with catcher Samuel Basallo from the Dominican Republic for $1.3 million and with Venezuelan shortstop Maikol Hernández for $1.2 million.

The Orioles announced that 11 more from this group are six-figure agreements. Of the 17 agreements, 13 are from the Dominican Republic and four are from Venezuela

Catcher Samuel Basallo, L/R, 16, Dominican Republic

Basallo, once linked to the New York Yankees, got the largest signing bonus ever given to an international amateur by the Orioles. Basallo, who turned 16 on Aug. 13, has plus arm strength and some solid raw power. Some scouts have put a 60 grade on his arm. At 6-foot-3 and 198 lbs., it’s possible he could outgrow the catcher position.

Maikol-Hernandez-Signed.jpgShortstop Maikol Hernández, R/R, 17, Venezuela

At 6-foot-4 and 175 lbs., Hernández has several impressive tools with a strong arm and power. He’s drawn some comparisons to bigger shortstops at young ages like Carlos Correa and Manny Machado. He was previously linked to St. Louis and Pittsburgh.

Six players, per industry sources, signed with the Orioles for bonuses between $300,000 and $400,000. Here is that group:

Outfielder Wilmer Feliciano, L/R, 16, Dominican Republic

He is a lefty batter with some solid raw power and it is believed got the third-highest bonus among this group.

Shortstop Victor Celedonio, S/R, 17, Dominican Republic

A switch-hitter, it is believed he got the fourth-highest signing bonus in this class.

Outfielder Teudis Cortorreal, L/L, 17, Dominican Republic

A lefty batter who is a center field prospect.

Shortstop Eruviel Castillo, R/R, 17 Dominican Republic

Shortstop Anderson De Los Santos, R/R, 17, Dominican Republic

Catcher Yasmil Bucce, L/R, 16, Venezuela

The following players signed six-figure bonuses, believed to range between $100,000 and $225,000.

Catcher Aneudis Mordán, R/R, 16, Dominican Republic

Shortstop Angel Tejada, R/R, 16, Dominican Republic

Center fielder Junior Lara, L/L, 16, Dominican Republic

Left-hander Deivy Cruz, L/L, 16, Dominican Republic

Center fielder Ángel Peña, L/R, 16, Dominican Republic

These four signings round out this class.

Outfielder Héctor Jiménez, R/R, 16, Dominican Republic

Left-hander Elvis Polanco, L/L, 17, Dominican Republic

Catcher Carlos Rodríguez, R/R, 17, Venezuela

Outfielder Grabiel Salazar, R/R, 19, Venezuela"

Thanks!

Some more precise numbers from Jon Meoli at The Sun on the mid-range Dominican players.

Outfielder William Feliciano of the Dominican Republic signed for $400,000, with shortstop Victor Celedonio signing for $360,000. Dominican outfielder Teudis Cortorreal and shortstops Euribiel Castillo and Anderson de los Santos signed for $350,000 apiece.

I believe it is still policy to avoid announcing the signing bonuses of Venezuelan players where you can, due to unrest in that country.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

I've seen photos of him down there.

Anyway, this is truly a really big day.  Orioles are serious about the South American market and have made some good looking signings.  I don't feel that this franchise is fighting with one hand tied behind their back anymore.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've seen photos of him down there.

Anyway, this is truly a really big day.  Orioles are serious about the South American market and have made some good looking signings.  I don't feel that this franchise is fighting with one hand tied behind their back anymore.

If it is true that the Orioles signed an above average international class, as at least one pundit suggested, I’d say they did that a year ahead of when I thought it would be possible.    So, much credit to Elias and Perez for their efforts.    Now I’m hoping to see these prospects actually make their mark on the field.    I’m looking forward to the day when I look at an Orioles top 30 list and 7-10 of them came from international signings.   

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

If it is true that the Orioles signed an above average international class, as at least one pundit suggested, I’d say they did that a year ahead of when I thought it would be possible.    So, much credit to Elias and Perez for their efforts.    Now I’m hoping to see these prospects actually make their mark on the field.    I’m looking forward to the day when I look at an Orioles top 30 list and 7-10 of them came from international signings.   

Elias is great, but I suspect after it's all said and done that Koby Perez is going to be the best part of this era when it comes to bringing in talent.  

That's my Friday hot take, I'm off to have a cigar.

• Upvote 2