MASN now streaming.

eddie83

9 hours ago, Aglets said:

Curious what percentage of people on the hangout actually have access to the app at the moment. 

Let's say I watched yesterday's game streaming through the browser of my media PC in my living room, using a, umm... work-around.  I cancelled DirecTV four months ago, and I don't have a cable TV subscription. 

But I will say it's ridiculous that the official way to stream the Orioles without cable/satellite is to sign up for AT&T's streaming package at nearly $100 a month. If my work-around stops working around I'll go to the radio.

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Let's say I watched yesterday's game streaming through the browser of my media PC in my living room, using a, umm... work-around.  I cancelled DirecTV four months ago, and I don't have a cable TV subscription. 

But I will say it's ridiculous that the official way to stream the Orioles without cable/satellite is to sign up for AT&T's streaming package at nearly $100 a month. If my work-around stops working around I'll go to the radio.

There is always another work around.

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

This was from the) MASN )website yesterday ......

MASN, DIRECTV Announce Multi-Year Extension to Carry MASN through Entire 7-State Territory

(MASN News)

https://www.masnsports.com/masn-news-information/2021/04/masn-directv-announce-multi-year-extension-to-carry-masn-through-entire-seven-state-territory.html

o

With Dish dropping RSN’s like crazy Directv knows they have a market advantage in keeping and bringing in sports fans. 

I’m friends with a guy who lives nearby in a rehab center whose clientele are very poor.  I created a Comcast email from my master account and he can use it to access every channel I subscribe too, including HBO, etc.  The only exceptions were certain channels like MASN which require you to be connected to the cable modem.  I could get around that by hosting my own VPN, but now he can probably get away with using the app/email.  He’ll be psyched to follow baseball all season now.

On 4/1/2021 at 9:32 PM, orioles119 said:

Only works on home Wifi, which is at my parents' house, where I no longer live.  I have a log-in but it won't work where I'm at.

Get a raspberry Pi for $30 and you can install a VPN on that, stick it in your parents network, and connect.  Then you’re watching Tankelos baseball

30 minutes ago, SteveA said:

So I'm sitting in a hotel room in Queensbury NY, and I can't watch the game on my phone.   Even though I get MASN through my cable provider (Verizon FIOs).  This is the exact situation the MASN app is supposed to be for.

Because it doesnt work for Apple or android yet?  Or some other reason......?

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

They don't have it working with FIOs left.  Just DirecTV and a few other providers I've never even heard of. 

Armstrong 

Atlantic Broadband 

Bay Country 

Lumos 

But not Verizon FIOS.  Thanks for nothing MASN.

On 4/10/2021 at 9:25 PM, SteveA said:

Armstrong 

Atlantic Broadband 

Bay Country 

Lumos 

But not Verizon FIOS.  Thanks for nothing MASN.

Comcast/Xfinity is missing from the list too. So basically the largest cable providers are currently not compatible with the app.

On 4/4/2021 at 9:01 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

My workaround stopped working.  Just dropped in the middle of one of the games the other day, couldn't get it back up and running.  I've been doing this for 3+ years now so it's been tiresome.  It'll work great for a few weeks at a time and then give me fits for days.  I watched the opening Sox series perfectly, each game after has had some issues.

I think the thing I liked most about it is that I was, in a very small way, sticking it to the man.  "**** you and your stupid blackout rules," is what I'd say to myself when I was fumbling around with my VPN, restarting my Amazon Firestick for the 10th+ time, and typing my password into the MLB.tv app AGAIN.  "**** you and your blackout rules, I'm watching my team where I want, when I want."

Except I wasn't when my workaround decided to fail me.  So last week I bit the bullet, said screw it and decided to get the AT&T's streaming package.  I was already paying 65 bucks a month for YouTubeTV so I cancelled that, figuring 20 bucks a month extra to watch my team hassle free was worth it.  

And....it is.  It's very refreshing to be able to turn on the TV, load an app that works and turn the game on right away and not have to wonder if the VPN will work this time.  After 3+ years of a workaround that could be incredibly frustrating, it's nice to have something that's easy.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

My workaround stopped working.  Just dropped in the middle of one of the games the other day, couldn't get it back up and running.  I've been doing this for 3+ years now so it's been tiresome.  It'll work great for a few weeks at a time and then give me fits for days.  I watched the opening Sox series perfectly, each game after has had some issues.

I think the thing I liked most about it is that I was, in a very small way, sticking it to the man.  "**** you and your stupid blackout rules," is what I'd say to myself when I was fumbling around with my VPN, restarting my Amazon Firestick for the 10th+ time, and typing my password into the MLB.tv app AGAIN.  "**** you and your blackout rules, I'm watching my team where I want, when I want."

Except I wasn't when my workaround decided to fail me.  So last week I bit the bullet, said screw it and decided to get the AT&T's streaming package.  I was already paying 65 bucks a month for YouTubeTV so I cancelled that, figuring 20 bucks a month extra to watch my team hassle free was worth it.  

And....it is.  It's very refreshing to be able to turn on the TV, load an app that works and turn the game on right away and not have to wonder if the VPN will work this time.  After 3+ years of a workaround that could be incredibly frustrating, it's nice to have something that's easy.  

I definitely get that.  I have a different work-around.  So for now I'm not switching to AT&T.  We like Hulu, it's cheaper, and it comes with other stuff like Disney and ESPN+.

My minor annoyance is that I have to switch over to my media PC to stream MASN since (at least as of last week) they didn't have a Roku app.  But I'm used to switching to the PC for streaming obscure third division German soccer so it's not too bad.

• Upvote 1