Happy Birthday Adley

Just Regular

23 years old/young on Saturday, or 23-000d as B-Ref would put it.   Only Bart among these other, mostly awesome, catchers had 2020 in their climb, but here are some debut ages, and where Adley this weekend falls in the group.

19.205 Pudge

20.352 Mauer

21.092 Sal Perez

21.326 Yadi

22.062 Pedro Severino

22.079 Zunino

22.168 Posey

22.190 Chance Sisco

23.001 Adley

23.008 Wieters

23.079 Realmuto

23.207 Grandal   

23.249 Bart

24.036 Hoiles

Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

23 years old/young on Saturday, or 23.001 as B-Ref would put it.   Only Bart among these other, mostly awesome, catchers had 2020 in their climb, but here are some debut ages, and where Adley this weekend falls in the group.

19.205 Pudge

20.352 Mauer

21.092 Sal Perez

21.326 Yadi

22.062 Pedro Severino

22.079 Zunino

22.168 Posey

22.190 Chance Sisco

23.001 Adley

23.008 Wieters

23.079 Realmuto

23.207 Grandal   

23.249 Bart

24.036 Hoiles

When he finally debuts he will most likely be the oldest on this list. I really hope they don't just let him waste in the minors onc ehe is ready 

26 minutes ago, andrewochs615 said:

When he finally debuts he will most likely be the oldest on this list. I really hope they don't just let him waste in the minors onc ehe is ready 

If they do hold him back to June '22 that would seriously limit his future earning power. He would be a 31 year old catcher when entering Free Agency. Its up to Adley to show when he's ready. 

14 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

If they do hold him back to June '22 that would seriously limit his future earning power. He would be a 31 year old catcher when entering Free Agency. Its up to Adley to show when he's ready. 

Do you think Adley could put up such impressive numbers that Elias would deviate from whatever his plan is?

I don't.

Adley just needs to not crash and burn and stay healthy.

This situation is almost entirely out of his hands, and it's a shame.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think Adley could put up such impressive numbers that Elias would deviate from whatever his plan is?

I don't.

I will worry about it when he’s showing he’s ready.    Personally I would like to see him get substantial time in the majors this year, but I absolutely feel he needs to prove in the minors that he’s ready for that challenge.   

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't.

I believe his advanced age and readiness to possibly contribute this year work in his favor. We'll see. 

43 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

No need to start the service clock this season. 

Sure there is.

If he isn’t up this year, he will either be hurt or a disappointment.  

If he is as good as they say he is, there is zero reason to keep him down in the minors.  He is mature, age appropriate, really good, etc...

Just sign him to a long term immediately and you don’t have to worry about the service time.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Just sign him to a long term immediately and you don’t have to worry about the service time.

Easier said than done. What offer could (would) the Orioles make in the next 12-18 months that would be acceptable to both sides? I'm thinking Acuna's 8/100 contract extension from two years ago would be a good comp, but I can't see the Orioles making that offer unless Adley is an MVP candidate when he does eventually come up. Is that likely? 

2 hours ago, fansince1988 said:

No need to start the service clock this season. 

I don't agree with this, not having given up on 2022 yet.   He's the best of a few guys where I'll be encouraged about Elias's assessment of next year if they get some summer experience, even if its a few weeks not a few months.   I agree it'll be a bad sign for next year if Gerrit Cole doesn't strike him out until then.

He does need to backup his scouting reports first; Age-22 Wieters set the bar high at Bowie 365/460/625 in a little over 2 months of games.   If Rutschman can play near that level until 4th of July, it could make for interesting times around here.   

Severino auditioning for 29 other clubs in the meantime - I do give him a shot to be simply better than a few incumbents around the league.

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Easier said than done. What offer could (would) the Orioles make in the next 12-18 months that would be acceptable to both sides? I'm thinking Acuna's 8/100 contract extension from two years ago would be a good comp, but I can't see the Orioles making that offer unless Adley is an MVP candidate when he does eventually come up. Is that likely? 

If he’s as good as they say, yes he is and yes they should sign him to that deal.

4 hours ago, jabba72 said:

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't.

Job the system. I can't even fault ME for doing it. Because he CAN! Still kinda sux.