Draft Pick Compensation Question

Greg, you know I'm looking at you here.:D

Just as a pure hypothetical, say the O's sign three Type A FA.

Burnett signs for 4/52 on 11/18

Sabathia signs for 6/125 on 11/19

Tex signs for 7/140 on 11/20

Who gets our 2nd, 3rd, & 4th picks? Do the Angels get the 2nd pick b/c Tex got the bigger contract? Do the Jays get the 2nd pick b/c we signed Burnett first? Do the Brewers get the 2nd pick b/c maybe Sabathia is rated higher? Or am I missing something, and they'll will all 3 get a 2nd rounder. Also, if Burnett is not a Type A just replace him with someone who is. I'm asking b/c I'm curious as to how the O's might be compensated next year if BRob or Huff are Type A's and signed to a team that also signs another Type A FA.

Greg, you know I'm looking at you here.:D

Just as a pure hypothetical, say the O's sign three Type A FA.

Burnett signs for 4/52 on 11/18

Sabathia signs for 6/125 on 11/19

Tex signs for 7/140 on 11/20

Who gets our 2nd, 3rd, & 4th picks? Do the Angels get the 2nd pick b/c Tex got the bigger contract? Do the Jays get the 2nd pick b/c we signed Burnett first? Do the Brewers get the 2nd pick b/c maybe Sabathia is rated higher? Or am I missing something, and they'll will all 3 get a 2nd rounder. Also, if Burnett is not a Type A just replace him with someone who is. I'm asking b/c I'm curious as to how the O's might be compensated next year if BRob or Huff are Type A's and signed to a team that also signs another Type A FA.

Sorry, have been away most of the day... hoosiers is right. Contracts have nada to do with it, it is based on who is the highest rated player.

Am I right in this thinking, we lose BRob and Huff as Type A's, in return we could end up with:

2 supplemental first rounders, and possibly a couple teams 2nd or 3rd round choices, if they are drafting in the top 15 for both players?

Doesn't quite sound as good as two #1's and 2 supplemental round 1's.

I think trading is a much better way to go about rebuilding than trying to get draft picks for proven talent.

Am I right in this thinking, we lose BRob and Huff as Type A's, in return we could end up with:

2 supplemental first rounders, and possibly a couple teams 2nd or 3rd round choices, if they are drafting in the top 15 for both players?

Doesn't quite sound as good as two #1's and 2 supplemental round 1's.

I think trading is a much better way to go about rebuilding than trying to get draft picks for proven talent.

Your train of thought is dead on. Trading would be preferable to taking the picks.

Archived