The Hebrew Hammer

Baltimoron

Anyway, besides wanting to type "The Hebrew Hammer" as a title, I was wondering about this since I seem to recall a fairly large deal being made about Shawn Green being a Jewish baseball player, and Braun should have a much more productive career. .

Part of the big deal with Green is he refused to play on Yom Kippur(despite being in a race for the playoffs) which sometimes is in September.

So you think Braun will be a hall of famer? Because that's what much more productive than Green is. 82.9 WARP3 and he's only 34.

I am not saying this to get anyone upset....but if his Mom is Christian he isn't a Jew.

Judaism goes through the mother. If his Mom wasn't Jewish, he isn't either.

So he may be a great player, but he's never going to be the best Jewish player out there unless he converts first.

Shawn Green is pretty far from the HOF discussion. Having more than three three seasons which were better than "good" would make Braun more productive than Green.

I'm not saying Green is a HOF player, but to be a much more productive career than Green basically means you're a HOF player.

Part of the big deal with Green is he refused to play on Yom Kippur(despite being in a race for the playoffs) which sometimes is in September.

So you think Braun will be a hall of famer? Because that's what much more productive than Green is. 82.9 WARP3 and he's only 34.

I think Braun should have a more productive career (offensively). Green's peak is very underrated, and Braun may never have a 49 HR season, but he should be more productive in the end (given health), although that is a huge assumption. A big reason why I think Braun may end up better is Green's first monster year didn't come until age 26. Braun is well on his way there at 23.

I am not saying this to get anyone upset....but if his Mom is Christian he isn't a Jew.

So he may be a great player, but he's never going to be the best Jewish player out there unless he converts first.

What am I missing?

His dad is Israeli (and Jewish), but his mom is Christian. He was raised Jewish.

Depends what denomination you are. If you are orthodox, then you won't recognize a child as Jewish if his mother was Christian. Some other denominations have relaxed this rule.

I am Jewish while my wife is Christian, so my kids "technically" are Christian although we are teaching them about both.

I will have to ask about this....In my business, i deal with many jewish people and my partner is orthodox. In fact, most of the jewish people seem to be orthodox in my business. Maybe that is just who I deal with, not sure.

I will have to ask about this....In my business, i deal with many jewish people and my partner is orthodox. In fact, most of the jewish people seem to be orthodox in my business. Maybe that is just who I deal with, not sure.

We believe that the children are the religion of the mother. There's no doubt about that. Whether people choose to raise their kids based on the traditional Jewish customs is a different story, but we do believe that the official religion is the one of the mother.

What am I missing?

If Braun's mother isn't Jewish and he doesn't have a halachically acceptable geirus (conversion), he's not Jewish according to either the Orthodox or the Conservative movement. And even if he does a Conservative conversion, he still won't be Jewish according to the Orthodox.

He's almost certainly considered a Jew by the Reform movement, but that's it. The Conservatives and the Orthodox are very firm on this point.

Archived