On the verge on a media nightmare.

wildcard

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did Tampa lose the series tonight?

That is one terrible loss.

If the rest of the games were in Boston, I'd be worried about the Rays' chances. However, they're going back to Tampa, and the Sox are going to need both Beckett and Lester to come up big. I think Francona is making a mistake not having Lester pitch game 6. I understand that you have to win both games, but you have to win game 6 to get to 7.

Amazing comeback.

It's also funny that Drew had this rep for not being clutch.

Drew picked up a bad rep in St. Louis when he got in La Russa's doghouse. For some reason, the Cardinals organization seems to feed the media a lot of mud on most players as they leave the organization. Tino Martinez was a "clubhouse cancer". Drew was a pansy who had no passion for the game and would go on the DL for a hangnail. Jason Marquis was a headcase that wasn't coachable. (Well, that last one might be true.)

Interesting thread at Birds on the Bat tonight. J D Drew

His expression never changed. I'd speculate he was some kind of machine, but machines don't break down that often. D.GOOCH

Just can't give credit to one of X's former doghouse inmates, can you.

Still one of my favorite players.
Mine too.
Same here. We never got rid of the DREW Jersey here. Would love to see his nemisis go away and find a way to get him back here! ;)
I always likened his swing to be like Griffey.... smooth and powerful
Efficient, like pretty much everything else he does on a baseball field. The only things that make him look human are offspeed pitches low in the zone.
Good Job JD!!! Won the game. Sure could use some more of that here. I am glad we have Wainright, but would love to see more DREWWWWWWWWWWWW....
Wes

How can you not believe JD is injury prone. I love the guys and his dedidcation to his beliefs but he is injury prone. He has averaged 119 games, less than 400 AB per season. Only once has he had 500 AB in a full season. I am not sure why he "was in Tony's doghouse". Because he sat out against some LHP? He has done that in the playoffs and as pointed out here he is the greatest LH hitter of all time. I think many here have some false memories of him. BTW, He is hitting .188 in the series.

Mac, you know that Gooch follows his pro-Cards-management party line to a T.

I'm pretty sure Mac doesn't "know" that. That you "think" that is...well, just funny. Projection, it's not just a kind of TV.

That was what my comment referred to more than the fact that Drew has had some injury problems. I'm pretty sure Mac doesn't "know" that. That you "think" that is...well, just funny. Projection, it's not just a kind of TV. :rolleyes:

Translation: "The fact that there is a legitimate reason not to like J.D. Drew as a player won't stop me from using an over-played ITF caricature of <insert your non-factionite> to make a pointless dig."

"ITF" stands for "In The Faction", a group of Cardinals fans who've wanted to get rid of Tony La Russa for over 10 years now.

Personally, I hated to see the Cardinals trade Drew, but they would never have been able to keep him in St. Louis with him on La Russa's **** list, especially with Scott Boras as his agent. At least we got a legitimate ace from Atlanta in the person of Adam Wainwright, although it's taken 3 years since the trade for Adam to develop.

Fox Sports or ESPN or TBS or whoever cares a lot. It colors their coverage throughout the season as well. It even colors their commentary during games. For instance, with the Rays ahead 7-0 last night, what were they discussing? "How will the Red Sox retool for 2009?"

I would bet good money that the sorrows of the Yankees created a lot more coverage than the triumph of the Rays this season. Shouldn't they have had at least equal time?

These "journalists" need to dump the pretense and come clean. They are parasitic publicity arms of major market teams, they are not news organizations. Frankly, ESPN has more in common with E! than with CNN. What else explains their womanish, gossipy fascination with things like Manny's knees and Clemens' ass?

Fox Sports or ESPN or TBS or whoever cares a lot. It colors their coverage throughout the season as well. It even colors their commentary during games. For instance, with the Rays ahead 7-0 last night, what were they discussing? "How will the Red Sox retool for 2009?"

I would bet good money that the sorrows of the Yankees created a lot more coverage than the triumph of the Rays this season. Shouldn't they have had at least equal time?

These "journalists" need to dump the pretense and come clean. They are parasitic publicity arms of major market teams, they are not news organizations. Frankly, ESPN has more in common with E! than with CNN. What else explains their womanish, gossipy fascination with things like Manny's knees and Clemens' ass?

Right. You could easily sense the glee in their voices last night every time the Red Sox scored.

You don't watch CNN much, do you?

I noticed that too.

Personally, I would rather watch a new set of teams go at it each year than to see the same teams year after year no matter who is on the teams. I'm a big proponent of changing up things to keep them fresh and seeing the Yanks and Red Sox on the top all of the time is getting more boring than anything else.

Archived