Padres lock up Tatis for 14 years

SteveA

1 minute ago, TradeAngelos said:

Tell me about the Padres regional sports network that brings in tons of cash every year. Well they own 20% of a tiny market, I'm sure they are at least breaking even. Oh and I know the Angelos family definitely is poor and not billionaire status. I'm a one note charlie who has proven to be right about every single thing I have said about this ownership over the past 15 years. 

Complaining about the Angelos family is all you ever do.   You may or may not be right, but it gets tiresome.    

The Padres had several low payroll years.   They’ve been ramping it up the last three.    They had a fantastic farm system that is now mature and they’ve been using it to  both stock the team but also trade for established players.   I think you’ll see them spend a lot for the next five years as they try to make hay while Manny is still in his prime and Tatis just gets better and better.   

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Press conference coming up on MLB Network.

It was a slight surprise to learn recently he too apparently chose to do the Schoop thing.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fernando-tatis-jr-340-million-investment-fund-padres-11613732572?reflink=desktopwebshare_facebook&fbclid=IwAR0ClMDJwyJst3bInAnWUXkqpVvzUiLlfkT9xcOlSRQ6YJxtQybeqxEAFw4

Surprising that the son of a major leaguer who earned $17.8 mm in his career would cut a deal like that.   I’d expect it from some kid trying to support his family, but Tatís presumably wasn’t in that situation.  

• 7 months later...
16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2021-10-18/padres-fernando-tatis-surgery-shoulder-injury

I'm guessing this is going to play out like it did for Manny when he decided against getting surgery on his second knee.

You seem to be implying that Manny was advised to have surgery on the second knee prospectively, and elected not to do it.   But I don’t recall that being reported.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

You seem to be implying that Manny was advised to have surgery on the second knee prospectively, and elected not to do it.   But I don’t recall that being reported.  

I'm not suggesting that I am privy to any discussion between Manny and his doctors.  It is my understanding that he was made aware that the same congenital condition that caused his first two knee injuries was present in both knees.  I also recall it being framed as when and not if his other knee would fail.  I accept that my recollection could be faulty.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not suggesting that I am privy to any discussion between Manny and his doctors.  It is my understanding that he was made aware that the same congenital condition that caused his first two knee injuries was present in both knees.  I also recall it being framed as when and not if his other knee would fail.  I accept that my recollection could be faulty.

There was definitely reporting that the defect was congenital and, I believe, present in both knees.   I don’t remember if the “when, not if” discussion was a reported opinion of doctors, or board speculation.   And, I don’t know if a doctor would recommend preemptive surgery even if the doctor thought the other knee would blow eventually.  

The Tatis situation really does seem like wishful thinking on his part.   Five dislocations in one season?   I doubt exercises are going to fix that.   I remember Chris Webber had a problem with recurring shoulder dislocations and tried to avoid the knife but eventually had to do the surgery.   

There were some aspects of the Manny knee situation I’d forgotten.   In particular, when Manny shut down and had surgery on the second knee, that wasn’t what the team wanted him to do.  
"Our original approach was to have him rest and then to try to play and then see if he could play ball. We also knew there was a chance of a recurrence. Given this injury and the time of the season, we thought that we would rest it and try to recover and come back and play for the rest of the year. But Manny didn't feel that was the best option." (This quote from Duquette was in a post by weams without a link.).   It also seems that Manny had the option of “rest and rehab” with the first knee and opted for surgery.    Here’s a link to the weams post, which is in a very long thread on this topic.   https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17946-manny-machado-expected-to-have-surgery-on-knee-within-a-week/page/35/#comments

Anyway, I’d say Manny really did the opposite of what Tatis is doing, i.e., favoring surgery over rest and rehab.  

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There were some aspects of the Manny knee situation I’d forgotten.   In particular, when Manny shut down and had surgery on the second knee, that wasn’t what the team wanted him to do.  
"Our original approach was to have him rest and then to try to play and then see if he could play ball. We also knew there was a chance of a recurrence. Given this injury and the time of the season, we thought that we would rest it and try to recover and come back and play for the rest of the year. But Manny didn't feel that was the best option." (This quote from Duquette was in a post by weams without a link.).   It also seems that Manny had the option of “rest and rehab” with the first knee and opted for surgery.    Here’s a link to the weams post, which is in a very long thread on this topic.   https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17946-manny-machado-expected-to-have-surgery-on-knee-within-a-week/page/35/#comments

Anyway, I’d say Manny really did the opposite of what Tatis is doing, i.e., favoring surgery over rest and rehab.  

I think the Orioles wanted Manny for the playoffs.  In a noncompetitive season they may have had a different view.

50 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the Orioles wanted Manny for the playoffs.  In a noncompetitive season they may have had a different view.

Oh, absolutely.   The O’s were leading the division by six games when this news broke.   It stung pretty badly to lose Manny in that situation.   As it turns out, the team played well without him for the rest of the regular season.   But we’ll always wonder if he could have made a difference in that KC series, if he’d managed to rehab and return to the field.     Some posters faulted him for not acceding to the team’s wishes.   Not me though.  

I have no doubt Manny would have made a difference in that KC series.  We scored a total of 12 runs across 4 games and were outscored by a grand total of 6 runs.  We had no Davis (suspension), Wieters, or Manny.  The Royals had no injuries whatsoever.  Pretty sure if you took away Hosmer, Perez, and Moustakas to make things even, that series would have turned out much differently.  

• 4 months later...