If Lightning Strikes: Whatta ya wanna do?

AnythingO's

10 hours ago, Philip said:

this line always makes me guffaw...

Drafting has been a miserable failure since Machado, yes, but there’s also the strange case of the Orioles and the international market. The Orioles approach the international market as if owner Peter Angelos was told by a fortune teller that he would be murdered by a prospect from a different country. 

The line is funny, but I would not say our drafting has been a miserable failure since Machado.   

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The line is funny, but I would not say our drafting has been a miserable failure since Machado.   

I know right?  They got Hader in the 19th round two years after they drafted Machado.  That was a fabulous value pick.

Seriously I think the O's have drafted fairly well the last decade or so.

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know right?  They got Hader in the 19th round two years after they drafted Machado.  That was a fabulous value pick.

Seriously I think the O's have drafted fairly well the last decade or so.

Yeah, they’ve done pretty decently. As the writer alluded to, the lack of international talent has been a huge handicap.   That seems to be changing rapidly but it will still be 4-5 years before we see dividends at the major league level.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well depends on what standard you’re going by, he wrote this in 2018, I think, and we sacrificed picks with bad free agent signings, we traded two compensation picks to dump salary(I remember Dan saying something dismissive about those compensation picks something on the lines of, “well those picks weren’t worth anything anyway”) so that right there is an indication of poor drafting judgment. I haven’t actually gone back and looked at the draft since Manny was drafted To gauge success or failure, but I’m pretty sure that depending on your parameter, it is an accurate comment.

16 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

It's the end of July, O's are in WC spot, 300 M have been vaccinated and crowds are coming back to OPACY to see Mancini, Felix and Harvey. Put on your Orange-colored glasses (approved by WC) and pretend you are ME,  "Watta ya gonna do"?? Sell hi and move Santander, Mancini and vet pitchers for prospects? Go out and get a piece or 2 for a run? Stand pat??

If we are in possession of a WC spot on, say, July 29th, I think selling is out of the question from a PR standpoint, especially if we have any kind of cushion, even just like 2 games. 

Whether or not we buy is another matter- if we can trade someone who is clearly not in the long-term plans and has a clear replacement on the horizon, such as Severino or Sisco, for something that helps us now, then I probably do that, but otherwise I more or less stand pat; mmmmaybe I also consider making a deal for a clear upgrade somewhere on the roster if it can be done with guys outside of our top 25 prospects, but I'd only do that if I actually had any reason to believe that the team's performance to that point was not a complete mirage like the 2005 Orioles. Playoff berths are a fairly scarce commodity outside of NY and LA, after all.

That said, I would be utterly stunned if we aren't in last place at the trade deadline so this is all meaningless (but amusing) pie in the sky.

16 hours ago, Philip said:

another edit: this line always makes me guffaw...

Drafting has been a miserable failure since Machado, yes, but there’s also the strange case of the Orioles and the international market. The Orioles approach the international market as if owner Peter Angelos was told by a fortune teller that he would be murdered by a prospect from a different country. 

What Peter Angelos sees in his dreams at night. 

la-1539631674-2fx5w43xcq-snap-image

• Haha 1