Three biggest disgraces of the pathetic Bud Selig administration

SteveA

1) 1994 postseason and World Series cancelled....the only commisioner ever who couldn't do the most basic component of his sport and actually complete the playing of a season.

2) All Star Game tie.

3) TV rights sold to a second rate cable network that is unable to air Game 6 of the ALCS and nation watches Steve Harvey show rerun instead.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) 1994 postseason and World Series cancelled....the only commisioner ever who couldn't do the most basic component of his sport and actually complete the playing of a season.

2) All Star Game tie.

3) TV rights sold to a second rate cable network that is unable to air Game 6 of the ALCS and nation watches Steve Harvey show rerun instead.

Oh no! we missed the first inning and a half!

Oh no! we missed the first inning and a half!

Wouldn't you be pissed if the Orioles were in it and you missed the first inning and a half. Also, Upton hit a first inning home run and Id be pretty pissed if I missed a Markakis home run watching the Steve Harvey show instead.

2) All Star Game tie.

Don't put all the 1994 blame on the owners when the MLBPA was the culprit.

Selig has been far from perfect but under his stewardship baseball has never been healthier with high attendance and a ridiculous amount of revenue growth.

Wouldn't you be pissed if the Orioles were in it and you missed the first inning and a half. Also, Upton hit a first inning home run and Id be pretty pissed if I missed a Markakis home run watching the Steve Harvey show instead.

I don't know, had the O's played like the Rays did last night I would have preferred the latter.

Especially when I've already seen that episode ;)

I realize that this thread is more about making fun of the technical glitch, but IMO Selig's biggest disgrace was allowing the culture of steroids to poison the game of baseball.

Don't put all the 1994 blame on the owners when the MLBPA was the culprit.

Selig has been far from perfect but under his stewardship baseball has never been healthier with high attendance and a ridiculous amount of revenue growth.

When you strike in 1994 because you know you're going to be locked out in 1995, I don't know that you're the "culprit", or even worthy of the majority of the blame.

2) All Star Game tie.

You missed the most obvious of them all:

1) Ignoring steroid abuse to the point where the most cherished records in baseball were taken down.

Reference #2, the issue to me isn't that they ended up with a tie (and came darn close this year), the issue is the idiotic idea of using the ASG to determine home field for the WS. Would make a lot more sense to use AL vs NL head to head record in interleague games.

I actually like the idea of the winner of the ASG determining home field for the WS. Makes the game more competetive.

I think the biggest disgraces under Selig were the steriods, the strike, and I am also going to say the whole Barry Bonds situation where he believes that every team got together and decided not to sign him. Got nothing to do with the distraction in the clubhouse that he would bring to any team. I think Selig could have probably done something to silence that.

Bud has done a lot of bad things, some good. But I think from the perspective of an American citizen the worst thing he's done is locked in the idea that it's the responsibility of every taxpayer to donate their own dollars to subsidize $half-billion to $billion stadiums for billionaire owners and their millionaire employees. Literally millions of people who'll never set foot in a MLB stadium helped pay for those stadiums, and Bud led the charge for nearly free ballfields for every MLB team.

I love OPACY, but not necessarily that the Maryland government, more-or-less, drummed up half a billion dollars to give to the Angelos family.

Archived