Looks like the Red Sox will be in play for Teixeira

nadecir

That has to be one of the silliest things I've ever heard. If NY and Boston are both in the bidding, the chance that we outbid both those teams is infinitessimal.

As I've said, Tex will not get above 25 million per season likely for no more than 8 years. The Orioles will be able to beat or at least match any offer under that. The Orioles can go toe to toe with any team for one player, the question is will they, and all signs point to yes...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it comes down to a bidding war between the Angels, Orioles, Red $ox and Yankee$, there is simply no way the Orioles can win. In every regard they're the fourth of those four teams. Time to move on, because there's going to be nothing to see here.

If it comes down to a bidding war between the Angels, Orioles, Red $ox and Yankee$, there is simply no way the Orioles can win. In every regard they're the fourth of those four teams. Time to move on, because there's going to be nothing to see here.

The Orioles won a bidding war with the Yankees for Albert Belle, and with the Red Sox and Yankees for Danys Baez, so they can win bidding wars. Now granted those didn't turn out well, but Tex is a different kind of player. And as for the Angels, the Orioles chose not to win the Vlad sweepstakes as they didn't go all in for him, calling him a "luxury." Tex isn't a "luxury" by any means.

The Angels are very similar to the Orioles of the 90s as they have an owner with deep pockets making up for the revenue they can't produce. Angelos still has deep pockets too, and now that he doesn't have as many years left, he may be motivated to empty them.

none of this surprises me, this is what good front offices do. They have the resources, they have their budget and the spend to the budget to put the best team they can on the field. If a player is available that can upgrade the team, they target that player and se if its possible to make it happen. They dont say, well, we've got Lowell here and he MIGHT be ready next year so lets hope he is and see what happens.

The Orioles won a bidding war with the Yankees for Albert Belle, and with the Red Sox for Danys Baez, so they can win bidding wars. Now granted those didn't turn out well, but Tex is a different kind of player. And as for the Angels. they chose not to win the Vlad sweepstakes as they didn't go all in for him.
You do realize it was 1998 when the Orioles had the highest offer for Albert Belle, right?

The Orioles outdrew the Yankees and the Red Sox both by over one million fans each in 1998. In 2008, the Yankees outdrew the Orioles by over 2.3 million fans. The Red Sox outdrew the Orioles by one million fans with sellouts every game this season. And both teams have much higher ticket prices.

The financial situation of the Orioles, Yankees, and Red Sox is about as different in 2008 versus 1998 as it could possibly be. The Yankees and Red Sox just play in a different league financially than the Orioles.

You do realize it was 1998 when the Orioles had the highest offer for Albert Belle, right?

The Orioles outdrew the Yankees and the Red Sox both by over one million fans each in 1998. In 2008, the Yankees outdrew the Orioles by over 2.3 million fans. The Red Sox outdrew the Orioles by one million fans with sellouts every game this season. And both teams have much higher ticket prices.

The financial situation of the Orioles, Yankees, and Red Sox is about as different in 2008 versus 1998 as it could possibly be. The Yankees and Red Sox just play in a different league financially than the Orioles.

The point is when motivated by his personal interests, Peter Angelos can outbid any other team in baseball for one player. I think we will find Tex is that player. Mark Teixeira will not be paid more than Alex Rodriguez was in 2000. The Orioles can match anything under that. They can offer 8/160 or even 10/230 with options and incentives.

I think people are looking at the Red Sox and Yankees and going oh my, but there is a limitation here.

My position - I'd like to have him on the team, but I'm more than fine with landing a second prize like Dunn for half the price while the Sox and Yankees attempt to outbid each other...

That sounds a lot more like MacPhail's MO too. I want Tex as much as we all do, but the more rumors we hear, and the more bidders, I just don't see AM biting, even if PA pushes him to.

I don't see the Red Sox paying 7/140 or so for Tex when they have Lars Anderson in waiting. Sure, they could trade Lars, but that would only make sense if they didn't have to overpay for Tex, which is exactly what everyone is going to have to do. Maybe Epstein will do it, but I doubt it. Plus that means they'd be completely giving up on Lowell.

I think the Red Sox will be in it until 6/120. After that, it just doesn't make any sense for them.

The point is when motivated by his personal interests, Peter Angelos can outbid any other team in baseball for one player. I think we will find Tex is that player.

I will acccept your point that Peter Angelos has enough money to outbid any other team for Teixeira if he feels like it. But what reason do you have for thinking he'll do it?

I'm amused by anyone who thinks he knows what Angelos is thinking on this subject, or that Angelos has some all-consuming desire to have Teixeira be an Oriole. Everything I've ever seen Angelos do suggests to me that he's a businessman plain and simple. He'll bid as long as it makes sense, and the minute it stops making sense he'll quit.

T, are you in a fantasy land? You know darn well Angelos will never spend that kind of money on one player. When the Sox and the yankees are bidding on Tex he may get up to 200 million. And that would be beyond stupid even if Angelos spent that much. Tex is a great palyer. But if any team wants to spend that kind of money on one player then so be it. Let them screw up their team for years to come. Look at what the Yankees spent on A-Rod. And they have not been to the WS yet. Either thye ahve been beaten in the Playoffs or not gotten there this season. Taht kind of money for a player does not guarantee you a championship or a playoff. I will be happy for a player at 1st base not as good a Tex but good enough to help the team win. And then ahve money for a SS, 3rd and pitchng. IMO.

f any team wants to spend that kind of money on one player then so be it. Let them screw up their team for years to come. Look at what the Yankees spent on A-Rod. And they have not been to the WS yet. Either thye ahve been beaten in the Playoffs or not gotten there this season. Taht kind of money for a player does not guarantee you a championship or a playoff.

While I agree with your basic point, I don't agree with this example. The Yankees haven't failed to go to the World Series, or (this year) get to the playoffs, because they spent too much on A-Rod.

I will acccept your point that Peter Angelos has enough money to outbid any other team for Teixeira if he feels like it. But what reason do you have for thinking he'll do it?

I'm amused by anyone who thinks he knows what Angelos is thinking on this subject, or that Angelos has some all-consuming desire to have Teixeira be an Oriole. Everything I've ever seen Angelos do suggests to me that he's a businessman plain and simple. He'll bid as long as it makes sense, and the minute it stops making sense he'll quit.

It's a combination of things. Why haven't we been serious or gone in on any FA? Notice we didn't tie up more money in Vlad, Delgado, Lee or Konerko. That's four years of not landing a top FA. The Orioles have been saving money, and I bet it was for Tex.

Second, as I've pointed out and Belkast has pointed out, Angelos wants a winner ASAP because he's not getting any younger. He has nothing to gain from watching a rebuilding process. Tex is a huge step in getting a competitive team built. The Orioles already have the foundation with a strong bullpen and strong young offensive core and three top pitchers in the minors only a year away.

Teixeira is a player just about every Oriole fan wants and every Oriole fan knows, his draw and effect would be unique to the area. Tex won't sell more tickets in Boston or NY. But he sure will in Baltimore. He can be the spark to get people to watch MASN, and signing him would be a statement that the Orioles are serious about competing to the fans and to the players like Markakis and Roberts who have had to tolerate years of losing. He'd be the equivalent of when the Red Sox signed Manny Ramirez. That was a statement to he rest of the league that they were going for it. It was looked at as ridiculous money then, but lauded soon after.

Archived