The Catching Situation

Legend_Of_Joey

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I disagree with Tony that those wild pitches were on Sisco.  One of them in particular took a nasty hop in the opposite direction of the side Lakins yanked the pitch to.   Sisco shifted his body in the direction the ball was headed and the ball spun the other way.   Not his fault IMO.   

Based on casual observation, I feel pitch blocking is one area where Sisco is half decent.   Of course I haven’t looked at any numbers.   

As an Oriole, Sisco is -1.5 blocking runs, Severino -4.9, per Baseball Prospectus.   

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Thanks man. I actually did look up the box score. But then got distracted before I could post.

Certainly there are wild pitches that the catcher can prevent.   Wieters in his GG prime was very good at it.   One of the two in the 11th possibly could have been blocked better.   On the other Sisco really had no shot, IMO.

Lakins was yanking almost every other pitch in the 11th.    Really a bad outing from him.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I disagree with Tony that those wild pitches were on Sisco.  One of them in particular took a nasty hop in the opposite direction of the side Lakins yanked the pitch to.   Sisco shifted his body in the direction the ball was headed and the ball spun the other way.   Not his fault IMO.   

Based on casual observation, I feel pitch blocking is one area where Sisco is half decent.   Of course I haven’t looked at any numbers.   

I never said both pitches were his fault. That comment was about the first one which was 100% on him. The scone one did take a weird bounce.

On 4/9/2021 at 1:52 PM, Philip said:

Exactly what does that mean? What does “not trying to win games” mean?

The issue is that you are intentionally taking the GMs statement that the Os are not measuring success by wins as meaning something else....that the Orioles are not trying to win games. And then extrapolating that into the Orioles are trying to lose games. 

That simply isn’t what is going on. And I think you know that. I think in general folks are on board with the rebuild. We are also at the point where we are about as far from being competitive as we have been in a long time.   

I don’t know how much the pandemic has effected the rebuild, but minor leagues have been shut down for a loooong time.  I can’t help but think it probably cost us a full year. 

I don’t know if Hyde will be the manager in 2 months or 2 years.  I really don’t worry about that at all. Right now, I just want to see the Os get better and develop talent. 

I would say this is the last year the Os can continue with a mindset of we are not measuring success with wins. I think it is likely that success next year will be marked by small improvement to something along the lines of 75-80 wins. 

I am trying to enjoy the moments. 

The moments Mancini reminds us of what he can be. The moments Mountcastle reminds us that he could be in the mix for ROY. The moments John Means looks like a real #1 or #2. And yes the moment we get to see AR, Diaz and others crack the lineup. 

It’s not the same as fretting over when Hyde rests Santander or who he pitches in the 8th or 9th. But this ain’t Toronto and whether or not we use our historically good closer in the 6th, 11th or ever. Hyde is gonna learn or he won’t. In the end, of the GM gets the talent part, getting someone to manage will be a breeze. 

• Upvote 1

Currently, the pitching staff is 14th in WAR (in the majors), 10th best in walk rate, 17th in total ERA and 7th in BP ERA.

Nice numbers considering we apparently have the worst catchers in baseball.  I’m shocked that they could be this awful defensively, game calling, framing, etc...and yet we are finding some early success after building on last year, which wasn’t as bad as suspected.

It’s almost as if the catchers defense can be overcome by other factors! (Or people are just clueless as to how to actually judge a C defense)

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm.... ready to just option Sisco for Wynns. Just to get a little more defense and the ability to foul some pitches off. Sisco is LOST. 

Honestly, it may be worth it to send him to the alternate camp and get him some different gloves and see if there are other positions he can play. If he can get his bat going and he can learn to play OF or something, he may find a niche as a 26th guy on the bench able to serve as a 3rd catcher in a pinch and give a manager some flexibility with his other two backstops. It's a long cry from a top-100 prospect, but I think that's his best case long-term outlook at the moment. 

The issue is if you give up on Sisco, then you have to DFA him but the 40-man roster is full. The only other choice would be to DFA Valaika who might make it through waivers and still be able to to be kept in the organization. With Martin doing so well in the alternate camp, the time may have passed for needing Valiaka, especially if the organization wants to give Urias this year to see what he can do.

Personally, I'm a defense first guy at catcher unless the stick is special, and if Sisco is not going to hit, he's definitely not going to help the team.

I'd rather the pitchers have a good guy to throw to even if I don't think Wynns or Ciuffo are anything more than back ups.