Turgeon's Decade

On 3/23/2021 at 2:19 AM, Hallas said:

What's your expectations for the Terps?  2 s16?  5?

For what it's worth, I think that most Maryland fans have an inflated sense of self-worth when it comes to our place in the historical basketball pecking order.  And I kind of am leaning toward wanting Turgeon gone now too.

I'm not a Turgeon guy, but I completely agree with you re MD fans.  Turgeon is a good solid defensive coach, but he's an awful offensive coach.  The better college teams run well and shoot well.  Turge typically has a very slow-paced offense even when he has the better athletes, and the offense has lacked PGs who can actually run the offense.  He's always recruited scoring type PG's - rather than passers.  And look at the 2 PGs he recruited last year - neither of them got off the bench, for the most part.  He was always a good recruiter, but now that seems to be tailing off.  

Turgeon does a solid job during the regular season, but he almost always hits a wall early in the postseason.  Still, anyone who thought this Terps team should have beaten Alabama... I've got some beachfront property in Louisiana to sell you.  The problem this year was he didn't recruit anyone to replace Stix.  

13 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I'm not a Turgeon guy, but I completely agree with you re MD fans.  Turgeon is a good solid defensive coach, but he's an awful offensive coach.  The better college teams run well and shoot well.  Turge typically has a very slow-paced offense even when he has the better athletes, and the offense has lacked PGs who can actually run the offense.  He's always recruited scoring type PG's - rather than passers.  And look at the 2 PGs he recruited last year - neither of them got off the bench, for the most part.  He was always a good recruiter, but now that seems to be tailing off.  

Turgeon does a solid job during the regular season, but he almost always hits a wall early in the postseason.  Still, anyone who thought this Terps team should have beaten Alabama... I've got some beachfront property in Louisiana to sell you.  The problem this year was he didn't recruit anyone to replace Stix.  

For what it's worth, if Alabama shot like they did vs UCLA we may have won.  I recall like 7 made 3 balls that were either heavily contested or were shot from another zip code.

That said, Turgeon has shown the ability to be a good in game coach, a good recruiter,  and a good developer of talent.  The problem is that he is never all three at once, and has never shown himself capable of putting it all together. 

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just can't imagine a scenario in which Tergeon leads a team to a championship, or honestly even a final four appearance.

I guess if what he's currently producing is considered good enough than here you go....have some more of it.

Unfortunately it seems like the school can’t afford anyone better.  You’d think that Under Armour / Big Ten money would allow us to pay top dollar for a coach.  Turgeon is good enough for them because he’s cheap and not completely horrible. 

Qudus Wahab and Fatts Russell committed to Maryland today in the transfer portal.  Two amazing additions by Turgeon.

Interested to see if Ayala, Wiggins, or Scott leave.  I don't see any of them getting drafted.  It seems like there is always a transfer on every team every year, so we will see.  If everyone returns this team will be stacked.

21 hours ago, Oriole4Life said:

Qudus Wahab and Fatts Russell committed to Maryland today in the transfer portal.  Two amazing additions by Turgeon.

Interested to see if Ayala, Wiggins, or Scott leave.  I don't see any of them getting drafted.  It seems like there is always a transfer on every team every year, so we will see.  If everyone returns this team will be stacked.

I really don't think Ayala or Scott are going anywhere.  Hart and Hamilton will have to fight for Morsell's minutes, but there's room for everyone.

There's a lot of smoke around the rumor that Wiggins has already decided to go.  If he gets drafted his stock won't be any higher than it is now.  There is almost no benefit to sticking around for 4 years if you have the talent to get drafted.  Even if he doesn't make it in the NBA he could play in Europe.

6 hours ago, Hallas said:

I really don't think Ayala or Scott are going anywhere.  Hart and Hamilton will have to fight for Morsell's minutes, but there's room for everyone.

There's a lot of smoke around the rumor that Wiggins has already decided to go.  If he gets drafted his stock won't be any higher than it is now.  There is almost no benefit to sticking around for 4 years if you have the talent to get drafted.  Even if he doesn't make it in the NBA he could play in Europe.

Morsell can still come back correct? Didn't the NCAA grant seniors one more year of eligibility? Would love to see our entire starting 5 back with a couple of legitimate bench players thrown into the rotation. 

12 hours ago, Hallas said:

I can't knock Wiggins for leaving, I suppose his stock is as about as high as it will get.  Perhaps he could come back and play even better, elevating him into first round territory?  I guess there is always a risk of injury.  If he wants to go play overseas and make some money then more power to him.  I think he needs to get stronger and work a bit on his driving game, plus make that jumper more consistent.  Very talented young man.

Jagwar, I believe you are correct, I also would love to see Morsell come back.  Not sure what his basketball plans are, I am sure there is a league out there that he could play in.  Dude gives 110% every game.  I am excited about next year, I think there could be some serious talent and depth on the squad.  All depends on how Turgeon develops and utilizes it though.  I have not written him off as a legitimate coach yet, although my faith is waning.

2 hours ago, Oriole4Life said:

I can't knock Wiggins for leaving, I suppose his stock is as about as high as it will get.  Perhaps he could come back and play even better, elevating him into first round territory?  I guess there is always a risk of injury.  If he wants to go play overseas and make some money then more power to him.  I think he needs to get stronger and work a bit on his driving game, plus make that jumper more consistent.  Very talented young man.

Jagwar, I believe you are correct, I also would love to see Morsell come back.  Not sure what his basketball plans are, I am sure there is a league out there that he could play in.  Dude gives 110% every game.  I am excited about next year, I think there could be some serious talent and depth on the squad.  All depends on how Turgeon develops and utilizes it though.  I have not written him off as a legitimate coach yet, although my faith is waning.

If Wiggins is even a 2nd round pick there isn't a chance he improves his draft stock by staying.  He raised his profile quite a bit in the last few weeks of the season, and he's old for a junior, which makes him ancient by NBA draft standards.

9 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Morsell can still come back correct? Didn't the NCAA grant seniors one more year of eligibility? Would love to see our entire starting 5 back with a couple of legitimate bench players thrown into the rotation. 

They did grant seniors another year of eligibility, but I'm not sure if Morsell has anything left to show in the NCAA and at Maryland, given that AFAIK he's already finished his degree.  Also I would legitimately worry about a lack of minutes to go around if he didn't graduate with 2 additions that are likely to be starters.

• 8 months later...

Turg never seemed to understand there was a problem - which is probably the biggest reason he had to go.  His offenses were terrible pretty much every year - virtually unwatchable.  And if you're a poor half-court teacher , you can at least make up for that by being a running team - but he insisted on going with the plodding unwatchable offense - even though he had players who can run.  Why would any top recruits want to play that style?  And player development was pretty much non-existent.  

Sounds like Bruce Pearl is a possibility, but maybe Danny Manning can get them on a roll.