Gunnar Henderson 2021

Just Regular

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I definitely haven’t forgotten him.  He might have been in AAA but for his injury.   Hopefully he comes back strong.  

Yeah. I wonder where Tony will put him in his actual rankings. Power Rankings are skewed by the now, but I'd rather have Ortiz than some of the people above him for sure. I might be too bullish on him, but I think he might be a solid-avg major league shortstop in a couple of years.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Yeah. I wonder where Tony will put him in his actual rankings. Power Rankings are skewed by the now, but I'd rather have Ortiz than some of the people above him for sure. I might be too bullish on him, but I think he might be a solid-avg major league shortstop in a couple of years.

I like him too if he returns to pre injury form. Ortiz has a higher upside than Grenier, at least. 

22 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Yeah Ortiz may be better served by starting in Norfolk next year. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Henderson has his OPS up to .750.  He just turned 20 at the end of June. You don’t hold him back from Bowie because he had a 0-for his first 11 games. 

Look at the leap he made from 2019 in the GCL, and he lost 2020 to the pandemic. I’m expecting another big leap for next year. 

It’s interesting trying to translate Henderson’s performance.   On the one hand, the Hi A East is a hitter’s league, averaging 5.10 runs/game and a .741 OPS.    On the other hand, within that league, Aberdeen is an extreme pitchers’ park, 77 for runs, 59 for homers, 93 for BABIP.   So, Henderson’s OPS probably would be significantly higher if he played in a more neutral ballpark.   He does have a 30.3.% K rate, though, and that’s not the ballpark.   

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s interesting trying to translate Henderson’s performance.   On the one hand, the Hi A East is a hitter’s league, averaging 5.10 runs/game and a .741 OPS.    On the other hand, within that league, Aberdeen is an extreme pitchers’ park, 77 for runs, 59 for homers, 93 for BABIP.   So, Henderson’s OPS probably would be significantly higher if he played in a more neutral ballpark.   He does have a 30.3.% K rate, though, and that’s not the ballpark.   

Can't do it right now but his home/away splits at Aberdeen might be interesting. 

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Can't do it right now but his home/away splits at Aberdeen might be interesting. 

Yeah, I think you’d have to do that by hand.   BB-ref has home-away splits but it doesn’t segregate Aberdeen from Delmarva.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I think you’d have to do that by hand.   BB-ref has home-away splits but it doesn’t segregate Aberdeen from Delmarva.   

Milb used to give you an splits by each team.  Can't see that option only phone.

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Milb used to give you an splits by each team.  Can't see that option only phone.

Was able to pull Delmarva data from there and reverse engineer Aberdeen.   If my numbers are correct, Gunnar is hitting .192/.342/.376 at Aberdeen.   On the road in HiA he’s hitting .270/.336/.450.   Interesting how often he walks when playing at Aberdeen.   Maybe because he knows that fly balls are just going to die, so he’s more patient?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Was able to pull Delmarva data from there and reverse engineer Aberdeen.   If my numbers are correct, Gunnar is hitting .192/.342/.376 at Aberdeen.   On the road in HiA he’s hitting .270/.336/.450.   Interesting how often he walks when playing at Aberdeen.   Maybe because he knows that fly balls are just going to die, so he’s more patient?

This to me, is another reason to get him out of Aberdeen and playing in Bowie to start next season. 

Two things in the discussion I'd like to highlight. 

Aberdeen needs to bring their power alleys in about ten feet. if you pull the ball to either side you are fine, but anything left-center to right-center takes an absolute bomb to get out.

The other thing is I think Henderson's placement next year is dependent upon a few things but my guess is he will start the year in AA. I'd like for the Orioles to decide what position they think he will play in the major league (3B or SS ) and keep him there for most of the year and not bounce him back and forth between the two. 

While Henderson has the arm to play on the left side of the infield, he has some questionable hands and he doesn't throw particularly well on the move. Neither Westburg or Henderson have the range you would like to have at the position so neither may end up at SS at the major league level with Henderson most likely ending up at 3B (if the hands come around) and Westburg at 2B. Saying that, Westburg is pretty steady over all at SS so if he can get the bat going, the Orioles might be willing to lose a little range at SS to get his bat in the lineup there. 

Ortiz should be back so he's in the equation somewhere at Bowie and Grenier could always come back as well though I think they will push him to AAA due to his glove being ready. 

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Two things in the discussion I'd like to highlight. 

Aberdeen needs to bring their power alleys in about ten feet. if you pull the ball to either side you are fine, but anything left-center to right-center takes an absolute bomb to get out.

The other thing is I think Henderson's placement next year is dependent upon a few things but my guess is he will start the year in AA. I'd like for the Orioles to decide what position they think he will play in the major league (3B or SS ) and keep him there for most of the year and not bounce him back and forth between the two. 

While Henderson has the arm to play on the left side of the infield, he has some questionable hands and he doesn't throw particularly well on the move. Neither Westburg or Henderson have the range you would like to have at the position so neither may end up at SS at the major league level with Henderson most likely ending up at 3B (if the hands come around) and Westburg at 2B. Saying that, Westburg is pretty steady over all at SS so if he can get the bat going, the Orioles might be willing to lose a little range at SS to get his bat in the lineup there. 

Ortiz should be back so he's in the equation somewhere at Bowie and Grenier could always come back as well though I think they will push him to AAA due to his glove being ready. 

Mateo may be hard to move off SS if he gets more reps there and becomes more consistent.

Keeping Henderson and Westburg at one position appears to be counter culture for Elias.   

Just now, wildcard said:

Mateo may be hard to move off SS if he gets more reps there and becomes more consistent.

Keeping Henderson and Westburg at one position appears to be counter culture for Elias.   

Thats one thing Mateo does have is range. Just needs his hands to stay consistent.