Renato Nunez cut by Tigers

Jammer7

Nunez was cut by the Tigers. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/detroit-tigers-set-opening-day-roster-renato-nunez-out-harold-castro-akil-baddoo-in/ar-BB1f1PXD?ocid=uxbndlbing

Núñez appeared in 11 games before last night and went 5-for-26 (.192) with two doubles, one home run, no walks and 10 strikeouts.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/03/more-thoughts-on-spring-training-roster-trends-and-surprises.html

It’s too bad, seems like a good guy. Got maligned for his poor defense again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I predict at least 3 OH members will lobby for us to re-sign him.

And.......go!

Fwiw i think this ship has sailed.

He’s the Os home run leader. He needs to be resigned and hit 4th! Just like Akin deserves the number 3 spot in the rotation! 

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Defense is important.

A lot of people wanted to keep Nunez. 
I am glad we did not.

Defense isn’t important for DH.  

Part of the reason some of us wanted Nunez kept was because of injuries...Stewart already showing that to be true.  

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Defense isn’t important for DH.  

Part of the reason some of us wanted Nunez kept was because of injuries...Stewart already showing that to be true.  

I wanted him to go because we don’t need a dedicated designated hitter. A dedicated DH clogs the roster with a limited player, eliminates roster versatility, eliminates the opportunity for players to get a little bit of rest from being in the field, and Stewart Doesn’t turn my crank either. As I’ve said many many times, I want Mountcastle and Mancini trading off at first/designated hitter, and three genuine outfielders in the outfield. I did not see any reason to keep Nunez, especially at the price that was being discussed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Philip said:

I wanted him to go because we don’t need a dedicated designated hitter. A dedicated DH clogs the roster with a limited player, eliminates roster versatility, eliminates the opportunity for players to get a little bit of rest from being in the field, and Stewart Doesn’t turn my crank either. As I’ve said many many times, I want Mountcastle and Mancini trading off at first/designated hitter, and three genuine outfielders in the outfield. I did not see any reason to keep Nunez, especially at the price that was being discussed.

A lot of this is false but it’s fine if that’s not what you want.

5 hours ago, Aglets said:

I predict at least 3 OH members will lobby for us to re-sign him.

And.......go!

Fwiw i think this ship has sailed.

I'd have zero issues with him being signed and sent to AAA to play 1B and DH. I'd rather have him as a fall back option at first base or DH (though I believe the Orioles will rotate Santander, Mountacstle and Stewart there now) than Tyler Nevin or Rio Ruiz.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

A lot of this is false but it’s fine if that’s not what you want.

I’m right. We didn’t need him and I was right. He duplicates what we already have, he clogs the roster, and nobody wants him, not even the Tigers, so I was right when I said he had no trade value.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m right. We didn’t need him and I was right. He duplicates what we already have, he clogs the roster, and nobody wants him, not even the Tigers, so I was right when I said he had no trade value.

I do believe it was erroneous to believe he had/has trade value. Getting cut by Detroit does clear that up.

But, I'd be just fine getting him back.  Davis is already off the roster and I don't want to rain on anything, but while we all root for Mancini, there are no guarantees he is fully back.  After being cut by Detroit, maybe he signs for AAA deal.

Remember, a big reason I wanted him back is because I didn’t trust the health of some of the other players around him.

Santander and Stewart were 2 of those guys and they are already hurt.  If they are both out on OD, that probably keeps Ruiz on the team and Franco is your DH.  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Remember, a big reason I wanted him back is because I didn’t trust the health of some of the other players around him.

Santander and Stewart were 2 of those guys and they are already hurt.  If they are both out on OD, that probably keeps Ruiz on the team and Franco is your DH.  

Geez.  That is really going to hurt their playoff chances.

• Haha 1