Adam Plutko acquired in trade

eddie83

8 hours ago, Pushmonkey said:

Would you rather have him or larkins?

Probably Lakins but my real answer is neither.

This is probably Elias saying I don’t want to run out my young guys all year (ie, he shuts guys down), he wants guys like this to finish out the season.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The only positive thing I can find about Plutko (strictly performance/numbers based) is that he throws a lot of strikes.  This keeps his walk rate down and his K/BB ratio is better than 2:1.

You’re right and that seems to be the mantra of Holt & maybe through out the organization .  Throw strikes or goodbye

14 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Looking at his stuff ion baseball savant, not a lot to like. Below average stuff across the board with some ability provide length. I don't see what role he would have on this team and he's out of options. I guess he's deep early starting depth for AAA.

I hear you but in 37 starts over two seasons his ERA is around 5. Seems like he’s a serviceable back end starter.

10 hours ago, Pushmonkey said:

Would you rather have him or larkins?

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Probably Lakins but my real answer is neither.

This is probably Elias saying I don’t want to run out my young guys all year (ie, he shuts guys down), he wants guys like this to finish out the season.

Dunno. Assuming track records hold, Plutko is a replacement level starting pitcher and Lakins Sr. is an average relief pitcher. Both are young and controlled for several years. IMO, people who can be starting pitchers (even at "replacement" level) are harder to find than average-ish relievers. Also, if Elias feels there's more to be unlocked with Plutko and Lakins Sr. is what he is, that's worth something, too.

It's close, but I'd probably go with Plutko. Pretty good chance he's Lakins Sr. if you converted him to a one-inning reliever anyway

17 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Looking at his stuff on baseball savant, not a lot to like. Below average stuff across the board with some ability to provide length. I don't see what role he would have on this team and he's out of options. I guess he's deep early starting depth for AAA.

After hearing Elias's comments, it sounds as if Plutko is on the team for now. Obviously more move could and probably will come, but for now he looks to have a long man spot and could make some starts this year.