TB on the verge of a dynasty?

oriole_way

Certainly the Rays have benefited from their high picks, but I would note that most of the first rounders listed above are not on the current team. (Beckham, Young, Hamilton, Brazelton, Niemann) It bugs me to hear over and over again the theme on Son of Sam Horn fo the last few months, that of course the Rays are good... they draft first every year.

I know I am terribly biased, but it seems to me that is giving short shaft to the incredible good job the front office has done assembling talent. Sure, they used some good players as trade bait, but they used them to acquire the right players. Sure, Carlos Pena was out there for everyone. But they got him.

I will let someone smarter than me argue for me...

Anyone who thinks the Rays are merely a product of high draft picks isn't paying attention. The Rays were built on trades big and small, minor-league free agents, even low-round draft picks. Many of their players, at one time or another, were available to every club at little cost.

Other teams shouldn't be envious when assessing the Rays' success. They should be embarrassed.

Four major-league free agents — closer Troy Percival, designated Cliff Floyd, second baseman Akinori Iwamura and reliever Trever Miller — signed for a total of $24.95 million, including the fee for Iwamura's rights.

The Mets paid more for second baseman Luis Castillo last winter.

The bottom line is yes they have some very good players because of where they drafted. But it is more than that. And I don't want to hear my team, the Os, use the Rays draft picks as an excuse for why they are good and we are not. There is a lot more going on down there than the draft picks.

Certainly the Rays have benefited from their high picks, but I would note that most of the first rounders listed above are not on the current team. (Beckham, Young, Hamilton, Brazelton, Niemann) It bugs me to hear over and over again the theme on Son of Sam Horn fo the last few months, that of course the Rays are good... they draft first every year.

I know I am terribly biased, but it seems to me that is giving short shaft to the incredible good job the front office has done assembling talent. Sure, they used some good players as trade bait, but they used them to acquire the right players. Sure, Carlos Pena was out there for everyone. But they got him.

I will let someone smarter than me argue for me...

The bottom line is yes they have some very good players because of where they drafted. But it is more than that. And I don't want to hear my team, the Os, use the Rays draft picks as an excuse for why they are good and we are not. There is a lot more going on down there than the draft picks.

I'm glad you made this point... Discounting the Rays success and saying that their model requires 10 years of ineptitude to be successful has bothered me as well. We should learn from the Rays have accomplished not discount it.

Archived