4-3 vs the Hated Bosox!

HowAboutThat

o

ADAM GREGORY PLUTKO

Plutko entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base, 2 outs, and the Orioles desperately clinging to a 1-run lead ...... he got the team out of the jam by retiring Xander Bogaerts to end the inning, and wound up throwing 2.33 shutout innings overall. 71% of the outs that he recorded (5 out of 7) came via the Strikeout and the Groundout.

o

6 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

Maybe Cesar needed a few more warm-up throws ......

o

Palmer said that it was almost like somebody else was in his uniform for the first couple of batters, and then he reclaimed the orange-and-black outfit for himself after that.

o

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Nice to open the season against the worst team in the division.

Allow our guys the chance to get their confidence up before playing good teams.

I checked the MLB power rankings yesterday. Sawx were 20th. Not expected to do crap.

We were 29th btw... ahead of PITT.

1 minute ago, OFFNY said:

o

Palmer said that it was almost like somebody else was in his uniform for the first couple of batters, and then he reclaimed the orange-and-black outfit for himself after that.

o

Good thing he showed up when he did!

19 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Why was he swinging at that 3-1 pitch ???

o

Better them than us ...... if the situations were reversed and an Oriole batter did that in the same situation, the game thread would have exploded. Some posters might have needed to purchase a new television set.

o

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

I beg to differ. Stanhouse walked A LOT of batters.

Just looked it up: 455 walks in 760.3 innings!

Yes, he walked a lot of batters. I haven't checked, but I bet he averaged a walk per appearance. He drove Weaver crazy, leading to Stanhouse's nickname of "Fullpack."

But in his good years Stanhouse had really good command. He just didn't want to throw strikes to good hitters, especially with the bases empty or just one on. He nibbled, trying to get swings on pitches out of the zone. If guys got on, and he usually put somebody on, he could and did throw strikes when he was on his game. And when he was at his peak, he was almost always on on his game.

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

I bet Valdez doesn’t pitch tomorrow.

Meanwhile, that was a lot more trouble than it should’ve been. But the icing on the cake as always is going to over the monster and watching them embrace the hate.

Sort of compensated for by how smooth Plutko and Tate were. Can't have everything. It's real baseball--and more fun.

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Yes, he walked a lot of batters. I haven't checked, but I bet he averaged a walk per appearance. He drove Weaver crazy, leading to Stanhouse's nickname of "Fullpack."

But in his good years Stanhouse had really good command. He just didn't want to throw strikes to good hitters, especially with the bases empty or just one on. He nibbled, trying to get swings on pitches out of the zone. If guys got on, and he usually put somebody on, he could and did throw strikes when he was on his game. And when he was at his peak, he was almost always on on his game.

Ok. Sorry--I see what you mean. And the strategy.