Jason Grey on Matusz

TakebackOPACY

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand how you could quantify Hamels as a #2. He's definitely an ace in my eyes, and is proving it with his dominating performance in the playoffs.

Totally what I was going to say. 29IP 5 ER 27K

4-0 1.55ERA 8.3K/9. IN THE PLAYOFFS. If that's not a #1, then it doesn't exist.

When I first started writing poetry, my first teacher offered me a metaphor. He said, think of your talent as a "house", and think of your success as dictated by just how much of that house you are able to occupy. Great writers have enormous "houses" and manage to fill them. Many writers have enormous houses, but fill only a small part of them. They're failures. And many writers have smaller houses, but are able to occupy a large portion of them. These writers are often very successful. At times, moreso than the guys with bigger houses. For comparison, my teacher pointed to a guy who was winning all of the undergrad writing awards. He told me that my house was much bigger than his, but that I was (at the time - I'd only been writing a short time) essentially occupying a single room. The other guy, he said, had erected his house long ago, in high school (he'd been writing a long time) and it was smaller, but he managed to occupy a lot of it (a precocious amount) for a college undergrad.

Pitchers are the same way - what Stotle has laid out is not about results, it's about trying to measure a pitcher's potential dominance and his actual success. Thus, Stotle's equation that a #1 pitcher has:

1. Two pitches that grade out as fringe-plus-plus to plus-plus and another above-average to plus

2. Perhaps one more pitch that is average or better (though depending on the above, this might not be necessary)

3. Plus command

4. Advanced pitchability (knowledge of the "art" and how to gameplan and execute)

5. Durability (both in-game and in-season -- loosely I'll say he has a reasonable chance at 6+ IP each outing, with shorter outings due to effectiveness and not stamina)

6. Usually all of this adds up to high ability to miss bats, but I wouldn't say that missing bats is a requisite (more often, not missing bats is illustrating a shortcoming in 1-4)

...essentially equals a giant house. Hamels doesn't have two plus-plus pitches and one other plus pitch. And neither does Matusz. None of this, however, is indicative of their results. Rather than a mansion, both Matusz and Hamels may turn out to be examples of folks whose "house" is smaller, but who manage to occupy 95% of it. They fully realize their potential.

Thus, in their best years, their success will likely mimic that of guys who Stotle thinks are a #1. (Which, I'm guessing, aren't many.) David Price is a true #1. Hamels may be better every year than Price, as they go forward in their careers, but Price's upside (his house) will always be bigger than Hamels'.

In essence, what I'm saying is that Frobby and Mackus are using an entirely different metric than Stotle - this isn't about looking at performance and determining who the top 1%-10% of performers are. It's about identifying the components of top-tier, Hall-of-Fame dominance and setting it aside. It's not a prediction that this level will be reached, but rather an attempt to create an objective strata for that (very rare) skillset.

Which is exactly why - I imagine - you'll never hear Stotle disparage a guy for "only" being a #2. Especially a guy like Matusz, who seems to know exactly what his strengths are, and pitch to them. A #2 who can occupy the entire "house" of his talent will always be more valuable than a #1 who occupies far less of his own.

When I first started writing poetry, my first teacher offered me a metaphor. He said, think of your talent as a "house", and think of your success as dictated by just how much of that house you are able to occupy. Great writers have enormous "houses" and manage to fill them. Many writers have enormous houses, but fill only a small part of them.

Which is exactly why - I imagine - you'll never hear Stotle disparage a guy for "only" being a #2. Especially a guy like Matusz, who seems to know exactly what his strengths are, and pitch to them. A #2 who can occupy the entire "house" of his talent will always be more valuable than a #1 who occupies far less of his own.

Great post. I'd rep you if I could.

What's it like to be articulate?

In essence, what I'm saying is that Frobby and Mackus are using an entirely different metric than Stotle - this isn't about looking at performance and determining who the top 1%-10% of performers are. It's about identifying the components of top-tier, Hall-of-Fame dominance and setting it aside. It's not a prediction that this level will be reached, but rather an attempt to create an objective strata for that (very rare) skillset.
I totally agree with Stotle's description of what a #1 starter should be and what skillsets one should have.

What I disagree with is discounting a guy as only a #2 because they don't fit that description, despite having the numbers and performance that obviously indicates that they are a #1.

Cole Hamels is an ace. That's inarguable, IMO. He's a dominant starter that pitches lots of innings, keeps his team in nearly every game, and comes through in the clutch. He doesn't exactly fit the stereotypical skillset of what a true ace should be, but with what skills he does have he definitely fulfills the requirements of what a #1 should do.

I totally agree with Stotle's description of what a #1 starter should be and what skillsets one should have.

What I disagree with is discounting a guy as only a #2 because they don't fit that description, despite having the numbers and performance that obviously indicates that they are a #1.

Cole Hamels is an ace. That's inarguable, IMO. He's a dominant starter that pitches lots of innings, keeps his team in nearly every game, and comes through in the clutch. He doesn't exactly fit the stereotypical skillset of what a true ace should be, but with what skills he does have he definitely fulfills the requirements of what a #1 should do.

Then you're defining #1 and #2 differently than he is. There's no harm there - but you shouldn't try to make his definition fit yours. Your point ignores my entire argument, which is that Stotle's breakdown asserts that it is necessary to distinguish pitchers based on something more than results. You don't have to do that. As he said, he's not trying to convince anyone.

But the difference is clear - and I don't see why you can't understand where he draws the line. It's as if you think that he's saying that a #2 can't win the Cy Young, or be in the Hall of Fame, or sign an enormous contract. He's not. Plenty of #2s make it into the Hall of Fame. It's not a slight. He just weighs scouting and projection more than you do.

When I first started writing poetry, my first teacher offered me a metaphor. He said, think of your talent as a "house", and think of your success as dictated by just how much of that house you are able to occupy. Great writers have enormous "houses" and manage to fill them. Many writers have enormous houses, but fill only a small part of them. They're failures. And many writers have smaller houses, but are able to occupy a large portion of them. These writers are often very successful. At times, moreso than the guys with bigger houses. For comparison, my teacher pointed to a guy who was winning all of the undergrad writing awards. He told me that my house was much bigger than his, but that I was (at the time - I'd only been writing a short time) essentially occupying a single room. The other guy, he said, had erected his house long ago, in high school (he'd been writing a long time) and it was smaller, but he managed to occupy a lot of it (a precocious amount) for a college undergrad.

Pitchers are the same way - what Stotle has laid out is not about results, it's about trying to measure a pitcher's potential dominance and his actual success. Thus, Stotle's equation that a #1 pitcher has:

...essentially equals a giant house. Hamels doesn't have two plus-plus pitches and one other plus pitch. And neither does Matusz. None of this, however, is indicative of their results. Rather than a mansion, both Matusz and Hamels may turn out to be examples of folks whose "house" is smaller, but who manage to occupy 95% of it. They fully realize their potential.

Thus, in their best years, their success will likely mimic that of guys who Stotle thinks are a #1. (Which, I'm guessing, aren't many.) David Price is a true #1. Hamels may be better every year than Price, as they go forward in their careers, but Price's upside (his house) will always be bigger than Hamels'.

I've got house envy. I'd give you some rep if I could. Great post.

I think this is mostly a question of what you mean when you say a guy is a "#1." If you mean that he's good enough to be the best pitcher on most teams, then obviously Hamel qualifies. If your standard is stingier than that, then perhaps he doesn't. Stotle is defining this in a different way, looking at the guy's array of pitches rather than how good his results are.

Now Stotle did say he didn't think Hamels would do as well if he were in the AL. I'll agree with that, only because virtually any NL pitcher wouldn't do as well in the AL. But a 24-year old with a 3.09 ERA in the NL is still a no. 1 in my mind. If he were in the AL maybe his ERA would be closer to 3.50, which would be plenty good enough for me.

Then you're defining #1 and #2 differently than he is. There's no harm there - but you shouldn't try to make his definition fit yours. Your point ignores my entire argument, which is that Stotle's breakdown asserts that it is necessary to distinguish pitchers based on something more than results. You don't have to do that. As he said, he's not trying to convince anyone.

But the difference is clear - and I don't see why you can't understand where he draws the line. It's as if you think that he's saying that a #2 can't win the Cy Young, or be in the Hall of Fame, or sign an enormous contract. He's not. Plenty of #2s make it into the Hall of Fame. It's not a slight. He just weighs scouting and projection more than you do.

If that's the case then I'd have to strongly disagree with his definition of a 1. By this measure Cabrera should be a 1 just because his stuff is filthy, and he can eat innings. This is clearly not the case.

His definition of a 1 would be much more representative of potential rather than actuality. In actuality all anyone cares about are results. While although Hamels doesn't have as big a house as others he gets the results of a 1, and is therefore a 1 because results are all that matters. Cabrera, with his mansion is a 5 because he gets the results of a 5 and results are all that matters.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this matter.

If that's the case then I'd have to strongly disagree with his definition of a 1. By this measure Cabrera should be a 1 just because his stuff is filthy, and he can eat innings. This is clearly not the case.

His definition of a 1 would be much more representative of potential rather than actuality. In actuality all anyone cares about are results. While although Hamels doesn't have as big a house as others he gets the results of a 1, and is therefore a 1 because results are all that matters. Cabrera, with his mansion is a 5 because he gets the results of a 5 and results are all that matters.

Well there's a #1 ceiling, which is the most common point of contention, and the status as an actual #1. I was, obviously, talking about ceiling. As for true #1s, they'd have to harness the required command and pitchability that the role requires. Cabrera obviously wouldn't be.

He's looking at how a guy gets results. I'm look at what results a guy gets. Thats the basic difference here.

I don't think considering someone a #1 should be based on style, just rather results. Guys who have the skills that Stotle talked about are much more likely to become #1's than guys who don't have those abilities, no argument there, but I just think he's discounting guys who do things differently. When you are looking at prospects and ceilings, I'll take the guy with more of those premium qualities that Stotle is talking about, but once they are at the major league level, all that really matters is their ability to get things done, however they do it.

Now Stotle did say he didn't think Hamels would do as well if he were in the AL. I'll agree with that, only because virtually any NL pitcher wouldn't do as well in the AL. But a 24-year old with a 3.09 ERA in the NL is still a no. 1 in my mind. If he were in the AL maybe his ERA would be closer to 3.50, which would be plenty good enough for me.
My way of looking at it would be something like this:

How many teams, with everybody rested, would start someone else in Game 1 of the World Series if they added Hamels to their team. How many teams can legitimately say that they've got someone they are more confidant in. I'd say a handful or so.

If you're on the short-list to answer the question of who do you want starting for you in an important game, then you're an ace, IMO.

Cabrera doesn't have command or pitchability. Not sure how my definition would make him a #1...

Cabrera doesn't have command or pitchability. Not sure how my definition would make him a #1...

I think that was my definition being allocated to you. Though Cabrera also didn't have two plus-plus pitches and one good-to-plus pitch.

He had (at one time) two plus-plus pitches and one average-to-below. As well as the command and pitchability issues.

Though his ceiling might arguably have been a #1 (arguably).

Quick question - what about a pitcher like Kevin Brown?

Archived