The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I still say an opener during the rain game would have allowed better use of Irvin, allowing us to avoid Akin today.

How many pitches did Irvin throw on Monday, 40ish? Why was Zimmermann available out of the pen but not Irvin?

9 hours ago, O's84 said:

Would have been his 3rd day in a row though.  Someone mentioned he'd never done that before.

If we had done what I was suggesting, Baker isn't needed in the rain game so he would have been available. I feel like the opener strategy is a good idea in itself, but especially when you have rain coming. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

If we had done what I was suggesting, Baker isn't needed in the rain game so he would have been available. I feel like the opener strategy is a good idea in itself, but especially when you have rain coming. 

An opener would not have helped in the rain game.  The game was delayed after our starter pitched 3 innings.  What could would an opener have done someone start the first inning or two then you still need Irvin and trying to guess when the rain delay was going to be or how long it will last is just dumb with pop up storms.  

23 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

An opener would not have helped in the rain game.  The game was delayed after our starter pitched 3 innings.  What could would an opener have done someone start the first inning or two then you still need Irvin and trying to guess when the rain delay was going to be or how long it will last is just dumb with pop up storms.  

Exactly. Go pitcher to pitcher until the rain hits, then Irvin. Start Zimmerman instead, then go Akin or Perez if needed. I know I'm on an island here but I'm convinced this is the way to go. 

12 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I don’t think he will ever bring Felix back out after he throws 22 pitches in the previous inning.

The most Felix ever threw in a game last year was 33 pitches, and that was in a game where he blew a save.  And then he pitched one more game six days later and was shut down with shoulder fatigue.  Hyde is going to be very careful with Bautista.  He’s already on pace to pitch about 10 more innings than last year.  

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Exactly. Go pitcher to pitcher until the rain hits, then Irvin. Start Zimmerman instead, then go Akin or Perez if needed. I know I'm on an island here but I'm convinced this is the way to go. 

"Opener" usually implies 1-2 innings and then you switch to the typical SP. Which is when you'd be at even more risk of Irvin only going 1-2 innings. 

Going pitcher to pitcher, or basically treating it like a bullpen game until the delay, could work if you have high confidence there's going to be a delay ~an hour in.