The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The press hardly ever asks "Why didn't you..." questions.  

They want to keep their press credentials.

There are ways to ask those questions without sounding like a second-guessing jerk.  Any self-respecting journalist should be able to do it.  

• Upvote 1

Hyde seems to be prioritizing giving everyone in the bullpen work over winning ballgames.  Why bring Nick Vespi into a game in the 7th when you are only down by one run?  For that matter, why take Cano out of a tie game yesterday after only throwing 14 pitches?  Yeah, it sucks to not have many reliable options in the bullpen, but when you have a close game you have to lean on your best guys to give yourself a chance to win.  

9 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Hyde seems to be prioritizing giving everyone in the bullpen work over winning ballgames.  Why bring Nick Vespi into a game in the 7th when you are only down by one run?  For that matter, why take Cano out of a tie game yesterday after only throwing 14 pitches?  Yeah, it sucks to not have many reliable options in the bullpen, but when you have a close game you have to lean on your best guys to give yourself a chance to win.  

If we didn’t play so many “close games,” Hyde probably would use Cano down 1. But give that the O’s oh-so-rarely bury the  other team, Hyde is forced to spread innings around so he doesn’t kill his guys.

He didn’t run Vespi out there just to get work. He did it because he’s got 5 more games to play this week with no day off and he’s got to find some sort of balance in that.

• Upvote 1

You can’t manage a bullpen with just 2 guys that you can really trust and another guy that you can usually trust but stunk last night.  An offense that is sputtering to score runs with average starting pitching that doesn’t go deep and terrible middle relief is a disaster waiting to happen.  Hyde has managed to hold the pen together best he can but if no one else is going to be reliable you have to go get some help.  The offense has been an issue l lately but we’re strong early on.   The relief pitching has been terrible for almost the entire year.  Elias needs to go get someone.  You have all this farm system depth use it.  You don’t even need to use a top 10 guy to get a more reliable bullpen arm.  

16 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

He didn’t run Vespi out there just to get work. He did it because he’s got 5 more games to play this week with no day off and he’s got to find some sort of balance in that.

But of all the guys to bring in to a one-run game, why Vespi?  Were Coulombe and Baumann deemed to be not available ahead of time?  

27 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

But of all the guys to bring in to a one-run game, why Vespi?  Were Coulombe and Baumann deemed to be not available ahead of time?  

Because you can’t pitch those guys everyday.  You are at the bottom of the order so that is a good spot to put him in hoping he can at least retire a struggling rookie, a backup catcher and a lefty.  At this point blaming Hyde about bullpen use is worthless imo.  Some complain he overused the back end guys but then if he brings in the other guys they don’t get job done and he gets blamed by the other half for bringing in the other guys.  These other guys have to pitch better or you have to get someone else in here that can get people out consistently.  I always believe you need 5 solid guys to have a good bullpen we have 2.5 

It doesn’t matter what Hyde does right now. The players are either  underperforming or they’re returning to career norms. They can’t hit right now.  They can’t pitch right now. They’re sucking pretty bad at the moment. 

It looks to me like they’re just trying to get through this week to the break. Unfortunately it looks like the Yankees are going to catch them in the win column by the end of this series and pass them by the weekend. 

They’re just not very good right now and I don’t see any urgency from management to remedy it, which is my biggest gripe. Maybe they’ll do something when the team falls below .500 by the end of this month. 

Edited by banks703

The problem with yesterday was pulling Wells prematurely. He was at 86 pitches and facing 7-9 after a pretty easy sixth. No reason at all to go to baumann there. Going to a mediocre reliever prematurely, then pulling cano prematurely, then using coloumbe against righties. Just bad management. 

• Upvote 3

In my opinion,this series isn't on Hyde - it's on Elias. As I said in another thread, Hyde was sent into New York with two position players on day to day and a taxed bull pen. That's not counting other under performers. I'm not known as a Elias critic, but Hyde is in a no win situation. Blame Hyde all you want but he is not the architect of this squad. 

1 minute ago, Too Tall said:

In my opinion,this series isn't on Hyde - it's on Elias. As I said in another thread, Hyde was sent into New York with two position players on day to day and a taxed bull pen. That's not counting other under performers. I'm not known as an Elias critic, but Hyde is in a no win situation. Blame Hyde all you want but he is not the architect of this squad. 

I agree with this take and was sort of the tone that I was intending to communicate. Mike Elias is a phenomenal GM. He’s rebuilt a farm that was in dire straits when he came onboard. The team has the third or fourth best record in baseball right now. But they’re pissing away opportunities to improve the club in favor of veterans who (as Cakes said during the game yesterday regarding Jorge) they hope turn it around. 

I stated the other day; if Hays was going to miss any significant amount of time (if he’s out again tomorrow, to me that’s not nothing while on a road trip in NY while the team is falling hard) then he should have brought up Cowser. Ced is mired in a 5-32 since coming off the DL (did he rush things too fast?). They had Frazier in RF yesterday because their Major League outfielders weren’t available, while McKenna sat. I mean, JFC it doesn’t take an elite GM to see that something needs to change. McKenna has no value to this club. Period. He does not provide enough on defense to make up for his lack of offense and they simply need more from that roster spot. Make the GD move already. 

I’ve stated it recently multiple times, he is slow to make moves. Why? Is it that his analytics are the be-all end-all to their decision making and the data says that Jorge is going to break out any day? They’re 1-6 over the last week and have been outscored 38-17 in that stretch. Is the data telling them that McCann is poised to break out? I think they may be too reliant on the data. 

July is a buzzsaw and I fear that their lack of doing ANYTHING of significance, outside of promoting JW is going to bite them in the butt. Make no mistake the Yankees are going to catch them this week. When they get swept in Minnesota they’re going to go into the break only single digit number of games over .500. The Yankees last year were a much better team than this year’s O’s and their collapse was pretty epic. We’re witnessing the same thing happening to the O’s in real-time. Only they don’t have enough ML talent to weather the storm. At this rate they’ll be out of playoff contention by the middle August. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Too Tall said:

In my opinion,this series isn't on Hyde - it's on Elias. As I said in another thread, Hyde was sent into New York with two position players on day to day and a taxed bull pen. That's not counting other under performers. I'm not known as a Elias critic, but Hyde is in a no win situation. Blame Hyde all you want but he is not the architect of this squad. 

I blame Hyde for how he uses the pen, but Elias certainly deserves some blame for the lack of decent options for middle relief.  It's not his fault that Tate and Givens are hurt or that Baker and Perez suck this year, but the problems with middle relief have been evident for a while, and it's also evident that the answers are not going to come from our farm system.   Just because the trade deadline isn't until August 1 means that you have to wait until August 1 to make a move.  Make a move now before this slump becomes a tailspin.  

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

PH Mountcastle for O’Hearn in the FIFTH INNInG!

I thought that was awful!     LOL

Amazing how many of his moves actually work.   

What I loved was, we replaced O'Hearn's spot in the lineup twice in that inning. Once with Mountcastle, and then with Cowser pinch running for Mountcastle. So the lineup didn't get appreciably worse having replaced that spot in the lineup twice. This is why McKenna getting optioned was a good move. The depth on this team is kind of incredible. 

Edited by interloper