The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

Hyde said he had a “short ‘pen” in the post game yesterday so why did he pull Gibson at 92 pitches when he was pitching well? He could have given Fuji the last two innings and given Cano another night off and perhaps we win. 

This is my main complaint about Hyde as a manager. Way too often he pulls starters too early. It’s a big reason why our pen is always overworked. 

He said that was why he gave Fuji two innings instead of one. Cano looked fine in previous outing and had a day of rest. Completely reasonable plan that didn't work out. If KG goes 7, I guarantee Hyde's alternative move would have been Fuji for one and Cano to close, he would not put that kind of pressure on Fuji yet.

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He said that was why he gave Fuji two innings instead of one. Cano looked fine in previous outing and had a day of rest. Completely reasonable plan that didn't work out. If KG goes 7, I guarantee Hyde's alternative move would have been Fuji for one and Cano to close, he would not put that kind of pressure on Fuji yet.

At least then Fuji would be available today, since he threw 21 pitches yesterday instead of 7. 

11 minutes ago, dystopia said:

At least then Fuji would be available today, since he threw 21 pitches yesterday instead of 7. 

We have Bautista and plenty of guys available plus an off day tomorrow. Gibson had given up a HR to Bryce and if he gets hit hard the board would be all over him. I don't think Gibson has a higher probability of getting through 7 vs Cano getting through the 9th. 

• Upvote 2

Again I think the SigBot has a lot of say in these, but I think I'd have went to Bautista last night with the off day tomorrow.  Pitch him last night, then assuming he doesn't go tonight and gets the day tomorrow.  As it is, if he doesn't pitch tonight suddenly it's 4 days where he hasn't pitched.  We probably isn't the worst thing all things considered, I just think he probably could have gone last night and then gotten another 2-day break.

But, I'm fine with the way Hyde handled it last night.  Cano just didn't come through.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

A lot of posters questioning Cano in the 9th.  How did you feel about Fuji in the 7th coming off of a pretty shaky outing last time?

I liked it.  Also loved him coming back for the 8th.  And if I'm honest, wouldn't have minded him starting the 9th either.

I'll take him over Baker or Perez right now in a tight spot.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dystopia said:

Hyde said he had a “short ‘pen” in the post game yesterday so why did he pull Gibson at 92 pitches when he was pitching well? He could have given Fuji the last two innings and given Cano another night off and perhaps we win. 

This is my main complaint about Hyde as a manager. Way too often he pulls starters too early. It’s a big reason why our pen is always overworked. 

I agree he tends to err on the side of pulling a starter an inning too soon rather than an inning too late.  But, over a full season it does keep the starters a little fresher.  I would have been fine letting Gibson start the 7th, but I also was okay with the decision to pull him.  My guess is he would have used Cano in the 9th regardless of whether Fuji had pitched 2 innings or 1, and the result would have been the same.

One thing I do like, and maybe it shouldn't be in the second guessing thread, is the recent trend of using relievers for more than 1 inning stints rather than use more relievers for 1 inning each.   Coulombe's great 2.1 innings vs the Dodgers, and more recent 2 inning stints by Baumann and Fujinami.

Earlier in the season I was very critical of using 5 relievers an inning each and then having a tired pen the next day.   That seems to have improved.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree he tends to err on the side of pulling a starter an inning too soon rather than an inning too late.  But, over a full season it does keep the starters a little fresher.  I would have been fine letting Gibson start the 7th, but I also was okay with the decision to pull him.  My guess is he would have used Cano in the 9th regardless of whether Fuji had pitched 2 innings or 1, and the result would have been the same.

It seems they like giving the reliever a clean inning often.  I think they would rather give the reliever a clean inning then one with possibly an out and a guy or two on base.  Now Gibson could have went one, two three and made that point moot anyway but he has only thrown over 98 pitches 2 times all year and 1 of those was just trying to get him past the 4th inning in a start.  They seem to have him maxed out at high 90s so someone would have had to pitch the 7th anyway most likely. 

7th inning, down by 1. Leadoff double from McCann.

RH reliever comes in.

A) Why are we trying to play for 1 run?

B) Why bunt Mateo (poor bunter) w/ McCann (slow runner) on 2nd. High likelihood, either bunt fails all together or McCann gets thrown out at 3rd.

Frazier is on the bench, and is more likely to make productive out w/ higher chance of getting on base safely.

We got a run and tied it up. Yay. But should have been playing for a big inning after leadoff double and getting into their pen.

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Was Bautista really in need of a day off yesterday because not using him last is looking really bad right now. On the plus side Bautista could pitch all three games against the Yankees now if he's needed.

He will blow his next save opportunity because he is "out of sync" 

• Haha 1