The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

He will blow his next save opportunity because he is "out of sync" 

Let's see Aaron Judge is back this weekend and Bautista every once in awhile will serve up a gopher ball. I don't care if Judge has been out almost two months if the game is on the line and Judge is at bat you don't give him anything to hit.

If Judge walks then fine, but don't let him beat the Orioles (again).

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Was Bautista really in need of a day off yesterday because not using him last night is looking really bad right now. On the plus side Bautista could pitch all three games against the Yankees now if he's needed.

Yes they didn’t want him throwing 5 out of 7 days and 6 innings in those 5 games  it didn’t matter if they needed him tonight or not that was irrelevant to the decision the team made.  

19 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Again I think the SigBot has a lot of say in these, but I think I'd have went to Bautista last night with the off day tomorrow.  Pitch him last night, then assuming he doesn't go tonight and gets the day tomorrow.  As it is, if he doesn't pitch tonight suddenly it's 4 days where he hasn't pitched.  We probably isn't the worst thing all things considered, I just think he probably could have gone last night and then gotten another 2-day break.

But, I'm fine with the way Hyde handled it last night.  Cano just didn't come through.

This is where I was with that move. Bautista has thrown a lot of innings and is the most valuable relief pitcher the Orioles have. If Mateo makes a routine major league SS play Cano doesn't lose the game. He really only made one or two bad pitches overall. 

Sometimes you have to lose a battle to win the war and maybe getting Bautista four days off going into the Yankees series is not the worse thing in the world.

It stinks because they lost the game then Bradish came out and couldn't stop giving away leads so they lost two out of three to a good Phillies team in Philadelphia.

I really had no qualms at the time with Cano being out there in the 9th but it does highlight the need for more impact arms in that pen.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

7th inning, down by 1. Leadoff double from McCann.

RH reliever comes in.

A) Why are we trying to play for 1 run?

B) Why bunt Mateo (poor bunter) w/ McCann (slow runner) on 2nd. High likelihood, either bunt fails all together or McCann gets thrown out at 3rd.

Frazier is on the bench, and is more likely to make productive out w/ higher chance of getting on base safely.

We got a run and tied it up. Yay. But should have been playing for a big inning after leadoff double and getting into their pen.

I don't necessarily disagree with your thoughts here as a valid way to go, but I think Hyde was just using the best odds of getting McCann in scoring position with a very bad hitter at the plate and no Gunnar to be able to replace him at SS. So I'm guessing Hyde didn't want to lower his infield defense in order to bring in Frazier for Mateo at that point.

On top of it, this offense lately does not give anyone a lot of hope of playing for big innings, particularly with Gunnar and Mullins out of the lineup.

17 hours ago, SteveA said:

One thing I do like, and maybe it shouldn't be in the second guessing thread, is the recent trend of using relievers for more than 1 inning stints rather than use more relievers for 1 inning each.   Coulombe's great 2.1 innings vs the Dodgers, and more recent 2 inning stints by Baumann and Fujinami.

Earlier in the season I was very critical of using 5 relievers an inning each and then having a tired pen the next day.   That seems to have improved.   

Hyde has absolutely made an adjustment on how he's using his relievers for multiple innings now vs using a bunch for one or less than one for matchups. I was very critical of that and I do see that Hyde is using his relievers differently in those 6th and 7th innings.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hyde has absolutely made an adjustment on how he's using his relievers for multiple innings now vs using a bunch for one or less than one for matchups. I was very critical of that and I do see that Hyde is using his relievers differently in those 6th and 7th innings.

Yeah he has made that change. But, this Phillies series notwithstanding, he is still overly dependent on Cano/Bautista in the 8th and 9th, and sometimes 7th. Maybe the blame needs to also be on Elias for not getting him help in the bullpen, but Hyde has to adjust based on the hand he’s dealt. Can’t manage every game like it’s the playoffs. 

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So I'm guessing Hyde didn't want to lower his infield defense in order to bring in Frazier for Mateo at that point.

On top of it, this offense lately does not give anyone a lot of hope of playing for big innings, particularly with Gunnar and Mullins out of the lineup.

Well, it would be Frazier at 2nd and Westburg at SS if he makes that move. 

If Frazier we to come through with a hit, it's either a tie game with one on or 1st and 3rd w/ no out and O'Hearn (the hottest hitter) at the plate and Hays on deck. Seems like as good of setup as any for a big inning.

19 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Yeah he has made that change. But, this Phillies series notwithstanding, he is still overly dependent on Cano/Bautista in the 8th and 9th, and sometimes 7th. Maybe the blame needs to also be on Elias for not getting him help in the bullpen, but Hyde has to adjust based on the hand he’s dealt. Can’t manage every game like it’s the playoffs. 

Well, who else do you feel good about in those situations with the current pen? 

Coulombe has allowed runs in 4 of his 8 July appearances and batters are hitting .345/.367/.517/.884 off him with just 4 ks over those 7 innings.

Baker has been pretty good in July if you take away the Dodgers meltdown, but he's allowed 47% of his inherited runners to score in July so he needs to come in with a clean inning. He's probably the guy I'd consider giving some 8th innings too if Cano keeps getting barreled. 

Baumann has bee pretty dominant over his last 12 games going back into June, but he can give you some length and walks can be an issue for him at times. 

Perez is clearly a box of chocolates. 

Fuji was really good the last time but I need to see him be consistent before I'm trusting him in those situations in anything other than an absolute need like the other day.

So really there are not a lot of other options for Hyde and right now, Cano is still getting guys out just not like he was earlier in the year.

• Upvote 1

I'm confident process wise they will try and get the emotion out of it.

Today's overworked relievers have helped the Club play .600 ball, but entering August if they are your A list relievers will they deliver the performances of a .550 team?    .475 team?    .350 team?

Its an exhausting grind.    Except for the top stars, it has relay race aspects of it.    The extent of this year's success is sudden.    We've seen Brad Brach be an All-Star and mostly useless in the second half.

21 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I'm confident process wise they will try and get the emotion out of it.

Today's overworked relievers have helped the Club play .600 ball, but entering August if they are your A list relievers will they deliver the performances of a .550 team?    .475 team?    .350 team?

Its an exhausting grind.    Except for the top stars, it has relay race aspects of it.    The extent of this year's success is sudden.    We've seen Brad Brach be an All-Star and mostly useless in the second half.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Sense of dread that the dogfight begins this weekend.

How in Gods name do you take out Grayson, after a fantastic night, with a 1 for 35 Springer up.  You bring in a guy with control problems and two men on base?!?!?  Ridiculous.  GRod had just hit 100 multiple times, shows no signs of tiring, and was a strike away from the 3rd out on the two toughest ABs  in the lineup.  I don’t normally complain about his decision, but that was beyond stupid. Hyde let that one get away tonight.  Rant over.  

19 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

How in Gods name do you take out Grayson, after a fantastic night, with a 1 for 35 Springer up.  You bring in a guy with control problems and two men on base?!?!?  Ridiculous.  GRod had just hit 100 multiple times, shows no signs of tiring, and was a strike away from the 3rd out on the two toughest ABs  in the lineup.  I don’t normally complain about his decision, but that was beyond stupid. Hyde let that one get away tonight.  Rant over.  

Maybe because Grayson walked two guys in a row and Hyde trusted Fuji to get one out? It didn't work out but doesn't seem unreasonable to me. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Maybe because Grayson walked two guys in a row and Hyde trusted Fuji to get one out? It didn't work out but doesn't seem unreasonable to me. 

He didn’t just lose his command all of the sudden or look fatigued.  It was a pitch around 9 pitch battle of an AB.  

6 hours ago, emmett16 said:

He had a 24 pitch inning in the 4th and was at 26 pitches in the 6th, had just walked two guys, was at the point of the game where he had fallen apart in all of his starts, Springer had just gotten an RBI single in his last AB.

Of course he needed to come out. Ridiculous to think otherwise.

• Upvote 1