The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

6 hours ago, emmett16 said:

He didn’t just lose his command all of the sudden or look fatigued.  It was a pitch around 9 pitch battle of an AB.  

There is no such thing as a pitch around 9 pitch battle. He was throwing middle, middle fastballs that he was fortunate to only have fouled off, and he couldn’t make a competitive off speed pitch.

7 hours ago, emmett16 said:

How in Gods name do you take out Grayson, after a fantastic night, with a 1 for 35 Springer up.  You bring in a guy with control problems and two men on base?!?!?  Ridiculous.  GRod had just hit 100 multiple times, shows no signs of tiring, and was a strike away from the 3rd out on the two toughest ABs  in the lineup.  I don’t normally complain about his decision, but that was beyond stupid. Hyde let that one get away tonight.  Rant over.  

I usually don't complain much either but I agree.  2 outs.  Grayson was pitching well.  He lost it a bit walking Belt.  But he came back and made some tough pitches that Vlad kept fouling off.  

I think Hyde pulled Grayson because of his emotional display.  He was angry at himself for walking Vlad.  Being able to refocus after each pitch/batter is key for a pitcher's control.  But that's how some guys "get it out" so they can actually refocus.  If nothing else, that was a good spot to let Grayson work through some adversity.

That said, it was also a good spot for Fuji to be the fireman we hope he can be too.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He had a 24 pitch inning in the 4th and was at 26 pitches in the 6th, had just walked two guys, was at the point of the game where he had fallen apart in all of his starts, Springer had just gotten an RBI single in his last AB.

Of course he needed to come out. Ridiculous to think otherwise.

He didn’t have to. Plenty of reasons to let him pitch to one more guy. Also plenty of reasons to take him out.

I don’t think there is a wrong answer to that one. 

The better question is, was it smart (without using hindsight) to go with a guy with control issues to come in and pitch when there are already 2 guys on?  Fuji had looked good the last few outings, so you understand the confidence in him but still, that’s risky.

6 hours ago, emmett16 said:

He didn’t just lose his command all of the sudden or look fatigued.  It was a pitch around 9 pitch battle of an AB.  

The idea is to remove a pitcher before they are gassed. A long AB in the 6th resulting in a walk is even more reason to remove him.

• Upvote 2

Grayson was up to 97 pitches and just walked two guys. You definitely take him out there. If he stayed in and Springer hit a three run homer, then it would be complaints saying he was gassed - what was Hyde thinking.

i was hoping for him to get Belt and then come back out for the 7th. It is a learning experience for him. He should have challenged Belt. He treated Belt like he was Aaron Judge. Belt has nine homers on  the season and he was extremely careful to him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Camden Yards said:

Grayson was up to 97 pitches and just walked two guys. You definitely take him out there. If he stayed in and Springer hit a three run homer, then it would be complaints saying he was gassed - what was Hyde thinking.

i was hoping for him to get Belt and then come back out for the 7th. It is a learning experience for him. He should have challenged Belt. He treated Belt like he was Aaron Judge. Belt has nine homers on  the season and he was extremely careful to him.

Coincidentally, Grayson and Belt know each other and are from the same small town in Texas. Of course, you're absolutely correct that he should have challenged him.

3 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Coincidentally, Grayson and Belt know each other and are from the same small town in Texas. Of course, you're absolutely correct that he should have challenged him.

Belt was the only guy who actually had a hit against him of any substance.  He had doubled hard down the line.

It's a tough call on whether to pull him. There's been a few times this year that I wanted Hyde to let the starter go after one or two more batters. But they have all the data in The dugout and they're seeing things I'm not seeing

I believe the thing that frustrated me most about last night was watching Fuji implode while Aaron Hicks came in and dominated for the Blue Jays. I really felt we missed an opportunity to bring in another good reliever to help this bullpen. It showed last night. I think getting another reliever was more important than getting a starter

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

It's a tough call on whether to pull him. There's been a few times this year that I wanted Hyde to let the starter go after one or two more batters. But they have all the data in The dugout and they're seeing things I'm not seeing

I believe the thing that frustrated me most about last night was watching Fuji implode while Aaron Hicks came in and dominated for the Blue Jays. I really felt we missed an opportunity to bring in another good reliever to help this bullpen. It showed last night. I think getting another reliever was more important than getting a starter

We hit Hicks (Jordan) hard the night before. And Fuji has had some good outings where he showed good control.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

The idea is to remove a pitcher before they are gassed. A long AB in the 6th resulting in a walk is even more reason to remove him.

I agree.  Taking him out before bot 7 would have been ideal.   I don’t see any good arguments to putting Fuji in that situation when Grayson was performing as he was.