Bedard on the block?

JTrea81

So we complain about not having a steady ace and when we finally get one we wanna trade him? Oh okay..

No one is proposing to give him away. You can keep your steady ace and wait for a good team to fall in his lap if you want. But, I'd deal him ONLY if I was blown away by a package of young, ML ready talent. Otherwise, he stays.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So we complain about not having a steady ace and when we finally get one we wanna trade him? Oh okay..

What good does a steady ace do on a 4th place team?? Especially a steady ace who may very well leave as soon as his current contract is up!

I'm by no means saying trade Bedard just to get rid of him. I love watching him pitch. He is an ace, and I'll say that all day. However, our team just isn't that close to being very good right now, and if you can get two young stud positional players and a good young pitcher for Bedard, I think you have to do it. We need a bunch more good players to be competitive, and the way to get those guys is dealing guys like Bedard.

Can we win w/what we have now by adding through FA and trading off spare parts? If your answer to that is yes, then it makes no sense to trade him. Personally, I just don't see that as being a possibility.

I think this team has so many holes, so many players on the downside of their careers that we have to seriously consider giving up a high quality piece in exchange for a quantity of quality. I don't think this team will ever win trying to build via FA and by the time the farm is really ready to contribute Bedard might be on his way out the door as a FA.

I hate the argument that we have been waiting for such and such, so therefore we shouldn't trade it.

This team has so many damn holes that we should trade anyone in the right deal.

Now, obviously some players are going to take a lot more than others but still, we stink and we have stunk for 10 years...Time to get better.

The point is all the contenders are looking for pitching since no impact bats except for Tex and Dunn are available and even they are being deemed too expenisve because of their rent a player status. Bedard could take a contender to the WS and you'd have him for two years. Teams like the Mets or Dodgers would be willing to overpay to have him on their staff. He's a luxury on this Orioles team and could fetch a pitcher that could be even better than him plus two other potential cornerstones.

You may as well get as much as you can for him because it has been stongly rumored that once his time is up here in Baltimore he will wearing a Canadian uniform next. I wish I could find the article that strongly suggested just that scenario.

I have never heard anything one way or the other that he is not happy in Baltimore.....but......the guy sure doesn't appear happy.

You may as well get as much as you can for him because it has been stongly rumored that once his time is up here in Baltimore he will wearing a Canadian uniform next. I wish I could find the article that strongly suggested that just that scenario.

This is not really directed at you but can we please stop with this crap?

We saw one article talking about how some Orioles exec thinks Bedard will go to the BJs and everyone assumes he wants to bolt.

I am not even saying this isn't true but we need a lot more than this to start actually believing this to be true.

With Bedard you have a known product. Right now he's one of the best pitchers in baseball. It's a crap shoot with the young players we may get in return. Wonder how many who were bashing the front office last year for not trading Tejada for Santana and Abyar are once again wanting to sell off our few quality parts for unknowns. Another thing is that most decent GMs don't give away their best young talent in deadline deals. To put this to rest you can take it to the bank that Bedard will not be traded.

I am just telling you what I read and it didn't come from an O's exec. I know there will be a million rumors that will surface between now and the next two years.....but we discuss rumors about everything else. Why not Bedard? Damn...I wish I could find that article. ;)

I am just telling you what I read and it didn't come from an O's exec. I know there will be a million rumors that will surface between now and the next two years.....but we discuss rumors about everything else. Why not Bedard? Damn...I wish I could find that article. ;)

No, it came from a Canada newspaper that was quoting an O's exec.

With Bedard you have a known product. Right now he's one of the best pitchers in baseball. It's a crap shoot with the young players we may get in return. Wonder how many who were bashing the front office last year for not trading Tejada for Santana and Abyar are once again wanting to sell off our few quality parts for unknowns. Another thing is that most decent GMs don't give away their best young talent in deadline deals. To put this to rest you can take it to the bank that Bedard will not be traded.

Thank You! Because I can think of one major proponent for that deal who is once again advocating shipping out our best talent for unknowns. Some people never learn.

Thank You! Because I can think of one major proponent for that deal who is once again advocating shipping out our best talent for unknowns. Some people never learn.

Yea, we should just keep what we have, assume our pathetic organization will be able to build around the aging talent and injured pitching and think we can contend with that!

Much better plan.

You are right, some people don't learn....10 years in a row worth of not learning jack poopie.

Decent GMs consider trading off stud starting pitchers when their teams have so many holes that they aren't going to win with them. I'm sure that for example fans in Cleveland are sure happy that they had a GM like Mark Shapiro in charge who didn't take that kind of shortsighted approach you seem to be advocating.

Archived