Losing Loewen?

tywright

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hearing anything about Kakes?

I was actually talking to them a couple days ago regarding what gives about a Markakis extension. They just reiterated that he's signing for a long time and doesn't know what's taking so long regarding an announcement about it. I asked if it was because of the World Series, and they said that could be the issue at hand. I'm a bit hesitant to believe that, because this would be a minor drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of MLB, but, then again, it'd be a big deal regarding the Orioles.

That's a bit overly dramatic, don't you think? I'd let someone put a screw in my elbow and agree never to pitch again in exchange for $5 mm. In fact, I'd do it for $2 mm.

That analogy might make sense if you were once one of the best pitching prospects in baseball. And if we're talking dollars, Loewen could have landed Barry Zito money one day if he panned out, so I don't think he would have done the screw for $5 million trade if he had a choice.

I just don't think he owes them anything outside of listening to what they have to offer. And one way or the other, it probably doesn't matter where he goes, because we're likely to never see him in a Big League uniform ever again.

Let me ask this question:

If the Orioles didn't have a commitment from Loewen that he would sign with them, why on earth would they send him to the instructional league where other teams could watch him hit?

If they were at all worried they could have kept him hitting in the cage in the basement of Camden Yards until they released him. Why allow the rest of the world to get a look at him? Obviously you'd like him to face live pitching as soon as possible, but for that sort of risk, you can wait a couple months.

Loewen will resign with this team. You can bank on it.

I'm glad to hear that. And I'd like to think that he'd give the O's the home team discount after failing to produce for the big money they gave him. Granted, the stat guys tell us it's almost a certainty that he won't make it, but I think - based on the scouting reports when he was in college - and on seeing how competitive and strong he is - there's enough upside to invest a fair amount in his future.

Cot's Baseball Contracts has him removed.

For 2007 - www.baseball-reference.com

For 2008 - ESPN Adam Loewen Player Page

His original 5 year contract was probably heavily backloaded.

Here is what Cot's previously said:

Adam Loewen of-lhp

1 year/$0.816M (2008)

re-signed 1/18/08 (split contract paying $0.663M in minors)

award bonuses: $0.1M each for Cy Young, WS MVP; $75,000 for LCS MVP; $25,000 for All Star

1 year/$1.02M (2007)

4 years/$4.02M (2003-06)

signed major-league contract 5/03

$3.2M signing bonus, $0.8M salary spread over 4 years

drafted 2002 (1-4)

agent: Michael Moye

ML service: 1.113

http://74.125.45.104/search?q=cache:fTgkMMe9dW4J:mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/baltimore-orioles_112321768568552760.html+adam+loewen+signing+bonus+cot%27s&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

So if that's accurate, Loewen was cut the maximum 20% last year. I stand corrected about what I said before. Of course, he was still making $361,000 more than Nick Markakis, even though Markakis has more major league service time and was the healthier, better player of the two. But that's not due to the Orioles' generosity in 2008, it's just a function of his original deal when he signed and MLB's contract rules.

I was actually talking to them a couple days ago regarding what gives about a Markakis extension. They just reiterated that he's signing for a long time and doesn't know what's taking so long regarding an announcement about it. I asked if it was because of the World Series, and they said that could be the issue at hand. I'm a bit hesitant to believe that, because this would be a minor drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of MLB, but, then again, it'd be a big deal regarding the Orioles.

Not sure where you get your info, but I hope you are correct. In all the dozens of "what should be do threads" I stated that the Markakis and Roberts extensions should be done prior to free agnecy opening up, and I said hopefully they are just waiting until after the WS. MLB is funny with these announcements, even minor ones. They want the focus of the baseball world to be on nothing but the WS. Lets hope your source is correct and an announcement should then be forthcoming late next week!

Has there been a single signing announced by any team since the regular season ended? I can't think of one.

If it is going to take more than a $100k to get him to sign with us, I think we should be smart and put the money away for next year's draft. I'd like our odds a whole lot better in that situation. I don't like the idea at all of giving him any kind of bonus to remain in the organization. Get paid what a minor leaguer makes, or if someone is willing to offer a better deal, good for him, he should grab it.

If it is going to take more than a $100k to get him to sign with us, I think we should be smart and put the money away for next year's draft. I'd like our odds a whole lot better in that situation. I don't like the idea at all of giving him any kind of bonus to remain in the organization. Get paid what a minor leaguer makes, or if someone is willing to offer a better deal, good for him, he should grab it.

We have to be completely rational in what we do. Let's say some team offers him a $250,000 signing bonus - that is basically 4th round money. Do we think Loewen at age 25 next season is as good a bet as a 4th round pick, or not? It's not a matter of whether he "owes us" anything, or whether we "owe him" anything. Is that $250,000 best spent on Loewen, or somewhere else? Let's leave it to the guys who have been watching him hit, and have a better idea of how good or bad his chances really are.

Has there been a single signing announced by any team since the regular season ended? I can't think of one.

There have been a handful of waiver claims and a couple of options picked up or declined.

Tribe picked up the option on Jamey Carroll. Oakland re-signed Mark Ellis.

Archived