MacPhail has TOTAL control? Not what I hear!

Guest Sailor Jerry

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this, in part, is going to be a lot of the problem leaked in all of the info that Tony will be supplying us with at some point.

Everyone was under the impression that MacPhail had a lot more leverage once he came on... but that has never been the real case. He is still limited under Angelos, just like a lot of the past GM's were. I have a feeling that we do not have a lot more of the scouting and department heads like most other successful teams because Angelos felt that that wasn't really important. He is not baseball-business smart.

MacPhail and Angelos still do not see eye-to-eye and we may be seeing another changing of the guard coming soon, yet again.

I think this, in part, is going to be a lot of the problem leaked in all of the info that Tony will be supplying us with at some point.

Everyone was under the impression that MacPhail had a lot more leverage once he came on... but that has never been the real case. He is still limited under Angelos, just like a lot of the past GM's were. I have a feeling that we do not have a lot more of the scouting and department heads like most other successful teams because Angelos felt that that wasn't really important. He is not baseball-business smart.

MacPhail and Angelos still do not see eye-to-eye and we may be seeing another changing of the guard coming soon, yet again.

Anybody have any idea why Angelos is such a cheapskate? He wasn't always that way.:confused::(

• 1 month later...

Oddly enough, I just went back to re-read this thread without knowing it had been bumped in June. Even though my post in this thread doesn't show it, I gave Sailor Jerry's post a lot of consideration. (Enough to go look up the thread two years later) Why? Obviously because we weren't producing major leaguers. For the most part, we still aren't producing major leaguers.

If what you're doing isn't working (Dave Stockstill was the Dir. of Player Development from 2004 to 2009), there must be reasons. I don't pretend to be able to do more than speculate on those reasons. In hindsight, it seems like a no -brainer that MacPhail may have wanted to replace Dave Stockstill.

Swapping John Stockstill into the role (before the 2010 season) seems like such a compromise regardless of whether or not John is doing a good job.

His brother, John, the team’s director of international scouting, will take over some of David's duties. Assistant farm director Tripp Norton and field coordinator Brian Graham will assume expanded roles...

The Orioles will portray the change in a positive light, one source said, but club officials had grown increasingly frustrated with David Stockstill’s communication skills and approach to player development.

Andy MacPhail, the Orioles’ president of baseball operations, inherited David Stockstill when he took over on June 20, 2007. John Stockstill had worked for MacPhail with the Chicago Cubs.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/sources-orioles-reassigning-farm-director

In hindsight, and in the wake of the Bulletproof People section of Actions Speak Louder than Words, the dysfunction (or disfunction if you prefer :)) seems pretty obvious and severe. The whole thing wreaks of something far less than "complete control".

My only hope with the current construction of the team is that Showalter turns out to be an advocate of MacPhail... not that they'll agree on everything but that they'll work together, be on the same page, and support each other internally. Essentially that they'll agree that being a crappy organization has to stop at all costs.

For full disclosure, I thought back in '08 that Sailor Jerry was probably basically correct in his information but was REALLY overstating it as a bigger problem than it was or overstating how it went down. Plus it's one side of a bigger picture. As ScottieB said back in 2008, "The sea has left him a bit salty."

Archived