Bring on the Terps

Sports Guy

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think UCLA wins all of those titles with restrictions on scholarships and a 64 team tourney field?

Does it matter? Even in that era, it was far beyond anything that had ever been done before. The best run before UCLA was three in four years by Kentucky so even without the large fields or the scholarships it was an inconceivable run. Surely you are not comparing Duke to UCLA.

And Duke's number one seeds are not all that impressive when they result in a flameout in the Sweet 16.

Does it matter? Even in that era, it was far beyond anything that had ever been done before. The best run before UCLA was three in four years by Kentucky so even without the large fields or the scholarships it was an inconceivable run. Surely you are not comparing Duke to UCLA.

And Duke's number one seeds are not all that impressive when they result in a flameout in the Sweet 16.

Yes i am and i am not the only one. This has been a topic of debate over the last few years...Many people think there is a legit comparison here.

Joe Lunardi wrote a great article about this 2 years ago( i think it was 2 years ago).

ND...That was an incredible run but again, how many years of that was when the field was 64?(can't remember what year the field expanded..1986??)

Yes i am and i am not the only one. This has been a topic of debate over the last few years...Many people think there is a legit comparison here.

Joe Lunardi wrote a great article about this 2 years ago( i think it was 2 years ago).

ND...That was an incredible run but again, how many years of that was when the field was 64?(can't remember what year the field expanded..1986??)

If by lots of people you mean yourself, Joe Lunardi, Dick Vitale, and the residents of Durham, NC then yes, lots of people have posited that argument.

How are three titles in twenty years more impressive than 10 in 12 years? Even beyond the titles, what about the unbeaten streak of UCLA? Dook certainly didn't do that.

Again, no scholarship restrictions and not a deep tourney field.

What UCLA did in their time was impressive but what Duke is doing in their time may be even more impressive.

BTW, i am not saying one way or another which team was mopre impressive. But to push the idea aside is a joke.

The field expanded in 1985. So it's 9 in a row with 2 wins to reach the Sweet 16 and 4 prior to that with only 1 win. And in those 4 years, they were a #1 seed twice and a #2 seed twice. You care to suggest that they'd have lost in a first-round game in any of those 4 years?

What UCLA did in their time was impressive but what Duke is doing in their time may be even more impressive.

I love how you use the present tense, and yet, their recent NCAA play is nothing special. They had an outstanding run in the late '80 and early '90's. But otherwise, what they've done on a national level in the past 11 years isn't all that spectacular, certainly nothing worth comparing to UCLA.

On the other hand, their run in the ACC tournament has, unfortunately, been historic, and is worthy of all the praise you seek. There can be no denying that.

Sports Guy are you Dick Vitale ? You are such a expert on Duke maybe you should move to Durham and room with K's buttboy Wojo

Seeing how you seem to be totally classless, i can see how you are a Terps fan.

ND, not suggesting UNC would have lost....My point is though, when you look at teams from the era of "the field of 64", accomplishments of teams, even if it is just final 4's, are impressive.

Are you saying that Mich St has not been impressive? Just because they have only won 1 title does not take away from the brilliance of their tourney play.

Are you saying that Mich St has not been impressive? Just because they have only won 1 title does not take away from the brilliance of their tourney play.

There's a difference between impressive and comparing them to UCLA. You want to talk about the run up until about '94? Fine, we can discuss whether that is comparable to UCLA's run. But to say that "what Dook is doing in their time" includes a period that cannot stand up to the scrutiny of the comparison you made.

There's a difference between impressive and comparing them to UCLA. You want to talk about the run up until about '94? Fine, we can discuss whether that is comparable to UCLA's run. But to say that "what Dook is doing in their time" includes a period that cannot stand up to the scrutiny of the comparison you made.

Since the 1985-86 season(tourney field expanded by then):

ACC tourney titles: 9...Finalist 4 other times

NCAA titles: 3...Most in that time period

Final 4's: 9

Sweet 16's: 15 times

25+ win seasons: 15(3 seasons of 24, 1 of 23)

Not sure how many #1 seeds they have but i think it is around 8-10.

Taking that whole body of work, there is a case that, in this era of the sport, that Duke accomplished more than UCLA. UCLA had it easier. Just the way it is. But, they still won and won and won.

Since the 1985-86 season(tourney field expanded by then):

ACC tourney titles: 9...Finalist 4 other times

NCAA titles: 3...Most in that time period

Final 4's: 9

Sweet 16's: 15 times

25+ win seasons: 15(3 seasons of 24, 1 of 23)

Not sure how many #1 seeds they have but i think it is around 8-10.

Taking that whole body of work, there is a case that, in this era of the sport, that Duke accomplished more than UCLA. UCLA had it easier. Just the way it is. But, they still won and won and won.

And yet, if you go back just a few more season to 1982, you'll find that UNC can nearly match that (3 titles, 8 Final Fours, 17 Sweet 16s, etc.). So the level of dominance is not such that you can make a comparison to UCLA's run.

You could make the case that Dook's run from '86-'94 with 7 Final Fours, 5 Finals, and 2 titles, including the last back-to-backs, all in a 9-year stretch is comparable, although I still think it doesn't mach what UCLA managed.

And yet, if you go back just a few more season to 1982, you'll find that UNC can nearly match that (3 titles, 8 Final Fours, 17 Sweet 16s, etc.). So the level of dominance is not such that you can make a comparison to UCLA's run.

You could make the case that Dook's run from '86-'94 with 7 Final Fours, 5 Finals, and 2 titles, including the last back-to-backs, all in a 9-year stretch is comparable, although I still think it doesn't mach what UCLA managed.

Heck, you can put UNC in the discussion. I am not one to demean the accomplishment of a school, even if i dislike the school.

But some of UNC's accomplishments were done in the pre field of 64 era. But nonetheless UNC deserves to be considered somewhat of a dynasty as well. I think college bball can be measured in differently than other sports...I do not think you have to win a bunch of titles to be considered a dynasty.

Archived