Bring on the Terps

Sports Guy

Nuke, who do you think would go higher in the draft if they both came out - Hansbrough or McRoberts. Hansbrough doesn't impress me so much. He's a real good outside shooter for a 6'9" guy, but he seems soft when he plays inside.

I think McRoberts would go higher on potential. He was the higher ranked guy coming out of HS (#1 overall), and he hasn't done anything to dissuade the scouts from believing he's as good as the rankings indicated. Hansbrough was slightly lower rated (#8 overall), and has certainly made a case that he was the better prospect. But I think he'd still go just after McRoberts in an NBA draft.

BTW, SG, I think you need to remember that Williams is drawing the tougher assignment offensively, so McRoberts might be benefitting from playing against smaller, less athletic guys in many cases. I'm not suggesting that he's not a great player, but I think his numbers this year could be influenced greatly by SheWill's presence in the lineup. He won't have that luxury next year.

For example, against UNC, McRoberts was being guarded by David Noel, who is all of 6'6", while Hansbrough (6'9") took SheWill. Next year, McRoberts would likely draw Hansbrough, a much tougher assignment.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NBADRaft.net has their 2006 and 2007 mock drafts updated each week, and right now, they list McRoberts as the #3 pick in 2007. They don't list Hansbrough in eiether draft, meaning that according to the best info they have, they don't expect Hansbrough to leave UNC after this season or next.

In fact, they have Brandan Wright, who is an incoming freshman for UNC, listed as going #2 overall in 2007, which makes sense. But it just shows me that if they are thinking in terms of HS seniors who will come out after one year, and they STILL don't have Hansbrough listed, he's a real longshot to be declaring early.

ACC players in their mock drafts:

2006: J. Reddick, dook (7); S. Williams, dook (8); G. Diaz, Miami (32); C. Smith, BC (37); E. Williams, WF (43); S. Dockery, dook (60)

2007: B. Wright, UNC (2); J. McRoberts, dook (3); C. Simmons, NCSU (13); C. Collins, VT (35); E. Ibekwe, MD (46); A. Thornton, FSU (52); K. Visser, WF (53); R. Terry, UNC (60)

And, FYI, they have Rudy Gay going #1 in 2006 and Greg Oden going #1 in 2007.

He's definitely not the shot-blocker or defender that Williams is, but I think Williams is vastly overrated for his offense - where he's very mechanical and one-dimensional. He's put up numbers this year because he hasn't had much competition. I think he'll be a very limited NBA player. McRoberts as a frosh is already the better offensive player, imo. He just hasn't gotten the opportunities yet.

Sheldon is the exact same player Boozer and BRand were. They have the 15 foot jumper...Wide, strong bodies...Good footwork...Can shoot with either hand aroudn the basket and has good hands.

Sheldon is a 17-20 ppg/8-11 rebound/3 shot block guy in the NBA.

BTW, i think McRoberts stays at least one more year. He may want one year where he is the man at Duke.

Sheldon is the exact same player Boozer and BRand were. They have the 15 foot jumper...Wide, strong bodies...Good footwork...Can shoot with either hand aroudn the basket and has good hands.

BTW, i think McRoberts stays at least one more year. He may want one year where he is the man at Duke.

While I agree that Sheldon is a better offensive player than McRoberts I would be hesitant to put him in the same breath as guys like Elton Brand or even Carlos Boozer.

While I agree that Sheldon is a better offensive player than McRoberts I would be hesitant to put him in the same breath as guys like Elton Brand or even Carlos Boozer.

I wouldn't...They are very similar players. People said the same thing about Boozer, who you could not put him in the same breath as Brand.

All of them are similar players. Sheldon is probably a slightly better back to the basket guy than Boozer and Boozer has a better face up game but both players are good in the other aspect.

No way is Boozer any better than Sheldon....Brand is likely better than both but not by alot.

I wouldn't...They are very similar players. People said the same thing about Boozer, who you could not put him in the same breath as Brand.

All of them are similar players. Sheldon is probably a slightly better back to the basket guy than Boozer and Boozer has a better face up game but both players are good in the other aspect.

No way is Boozer any better than Sheldon....Brand is likely better than both but not by alot.

Brand is much much better than Boozer. Brand is a legit MVP candidate.

A healthy Boozer can give you 18/10..Brand is giving you 24/10.

End of the day, it is not a huge difference.

But Brand is having an awesome year this year, thats for sure.

How many 18/10 guys are there in the league (if Boozer is even one, which I dont think he's proven consistently yet)? Compare that to how many 24/10+ guys there are.

Brand is much better than Boozer.

Not even close, SG, imo. I could see Boozer's and Brand's offensive low post instincts the first time I saw them. They were phenominal from the beginning. Williams just doesn't have those instincts - or hands, btw. He's a much better defender than Boozer, but offensively - there's no comparison. And while a good defender, he's not going to be a big shot-blocker in the NBA - just because he's not going to have the size advantage that he has in college. Remember Dale Davis of Clemson (you're probably too young, wippersnapper)? That's what Shelden Williams is.

NBADRaft.net has their 2006 and 2007 mock drafts updated each week, and right now, they list McRoberts as the #3 pick in 2007. They don't list Hansbrough in eiether draft, meaning that according to the best info they have, they don't expect Hansbrough to leave UNC after this season or next.

In fact, they have Brandan Wright, who is an incoming freshman for UNC, listed as going #2 overall in 2007, which makes sense. But it just shows me that if they are thinking in terms of HS seniors who will come out after one year, and they STILL don't have Hansbrough listed, he's a real longshot to be declaring early.

ACC players in their mock drafts:

2006: J. Reddick, dook (7); S. Williams, dook (8); G. Diaz, Miami (32); C. Smith, BC (37); E. Williams, WF (43); S. Dockery, dook (60)

2007: B. Wright, UNC (2); J. McRoberts, dook (3); C. Simmons, NCSU (13); C. Collins, VT (35); E. Ibekwe, MD (46); A. Thornton, FSU (52); K. Visser, WF (53); R. Terry, UNC (60)

And, FYI, they have Rudy Gay going #1 in 2006 and Greg Oden going #1 in 2007.

Good stuff. I'm surprised theey have Ibekwe going even that high. Dockery will probably go higher.

Not even close, SG, imo. I could see Boozer's and Brand's offensive low post instincts the first time I saw them. They were phenominal from the beginning. Williams just doesn't have those instincts - or hands, btw. He's a much better defender than Boozer, but offensively - there's no comparison. And while a good defender, he's not going to be a big shot-blocker in the NBA - just because he's not going to have the size advantage that he has in college. Remember Dale Davis of Clemson (you're probably too young, wippersnapper)? That's what Shelden Williams is.

You are very wrong...First of all, he is a MUCH better shooter than Dale Davis ever was.

Williams will be as good or better than Boozer.

Of course, everyone told me(included NBA execs) that Boozer would not be any good. I was right there and i will be right with Sheldon.

And to say he does not have good hands is wrong...He does not have BRand's hands but they are soft. He catches everything.

He also runs the floor as good as any big man in college.

You are very wrong...First of all, he is a MUCH better shooter than Dale Davis ever was.

Williams will be as good or better than Boozer.

Of course, everyone told me(included NBA execs) that Boozer would not be any good. I was right there and i will be right with Sheldon.

And to say he does not have good hands is wrong...He does not have BRand's hands but they are soft. He catches everything.

He also runs the floor as good as any big man in college.

As well.

You keep saying shooting, but it's the low post moves and instincts that are what I'm talking about. Williams is much more mechanical than Boozer. And don't include me with those who poohpoohed Boozer. I said all along back then that he'd be a great low post scorer in the NBA. And the criticism on him was athleticism - It probably wasn't a valid criticism, but that was the criticism.

I'm surprised you remember Davis from his Clemson days. He was a helluva player there. But his offensive weaknesses were soon exposed in the NBA - though he was still a good NBA player. The same will happen with Williams. Bank on it.

Archived