Grayson Rodriguez 2021

LTO's

You can probably chalk a lot of this outing up to trying too hard. He clearly had his adrenaline thumping throwing 103 (!). First home start at his new digs. Center of attention. Marketing him like crazy. Newly minted top pitching prospect in baseball. He was definitely amped up. He'll settle in. He's too good not to.

Didn’t think the ump was as bad as everyone else in the stadium did, but there’s no doubt he was inconsistent and squeezing early then opened the zone way up in the last few innings. Grayson seemed to be relying on the FB/CU combo for the most part. Both pitches looked nice, though he was barreled a few times and seemed to let too many hitters hang around fouling pitches off in the first couple innings.

9 hours ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

You can probably chalk a lot of this outing up to trying too hard. He clearly had his adrenaline thumping throwing 103 (!). First home start at his new digs. Center of attention. Marketing him like crazy. Newly minted top pitching prospect in baseball. He was definitely amped up. He'll settle in. He's too good not to.

Oh my. Cannot wait to see this kid.

I was at the game last night. Grayson looked good and threw an easy 99-100.

He seemed to throw a lot of off-speed pitches. I'd say he threw more off-speed than fastballs last night but not sure, seemed like maybe he was working on stuff.

He threw some back door sliders on the outside corner to lefties that were un-hittable.

I was a little surprised how often he got to two strikes and the batter would foul off 3-5 pitches, didn't seem like he had his strikeout stuff as much last night. But overall he looked good and am still very excited for him. I didn't even catch him on an "A-game night".

1 hour ago, scbalt52 said:

I was at the game last night. Grayson looked good and threw an easy 99-100.

He seemed to throw a lot of off-speed pitches. I'd say he threw more off-speed than fastballs last night but not sure, seemed like maybe he was working on stuff.

He threw some back door sliders on the outside corner to lefties that were un-hittable.

I was a little surprised how often he got to two strikes and the batter would foul off 3-5 pitches, didn't seem like he had his strikeout stuff as much last night. But overall he looked good and am still very excited for him. I didn't even catch him on an "A-game night".

Lack of sticky stuff alert?  

I see 2 HR the only hits yielded to bottom of lineup guys, in both cases their first HR on the season.

This gives the impression of Rodriguez's power providing the over the fence energy for AA guys a bit better equipped to square up the ball.

68 pitches a trim number to get through the 5 IP, with .000 BABIP and >40 K-BB% for the day.

Austin Martin's team tied with Adley's for league's top offense in next week.

4 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I see 2 HR the only hits yielded to bottom of lineup guys, in both cases their first HR on the season.

This gives the impression of Rodriguez's power providing the over the fence energy for AA guys a bit better equipped to square up the ball.

68 pitches a trim number to get through the 5 IP, with .000 BABIP and >40 K-BB% for the day.

Austin Martin's team tied with Adley's for league's top offense in next week.

Might mean he simply trying to overpower them with fastballs and getting burned.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Might mean he simply trying to overpower them with fastballs and getting burned.

I am okay with him only very lightly respecting AA hitters until they give him enough of a reason not to.

Just box score reading, today seems like just a little bit of a reason.   Maybe he can practice sequencing with Martin, Groshans and Moreno next weekend.

Hopeful we'll hear a MurphDogg eyewitness account if he made it today.