Grayson Rodriguez 2021

LTO's

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Depends has he also given up 3 HR?

Just glad they let him go five.

I'm just picturing the 2023 Hangout wondering why he can't maintain velocity past the fourth inning.

2 hits. One unearned run. 

Read my last post.  Looks like they want to keep going 5 with him. 

Got a chance to watch the 5th inning on free Milb.tv, in which Rodriguez struck out the side.   The second strikeout was Riley Greene, overall no. 5 pick in 2019 and top 20-30 prospect in MLB depending which source you look at.      Rodriguez fell behind 3-0, overpowered Greene on a 3-0 fastball, got the benefit of the doubt on a 3-1 pitch that was borderline high, and struck out Greene on a nasty slider that ended up inside and ankle high after starting in the middle of the plate.   

5 IP, 0ER, 12K's out of 15 outs.  I figured they would be looking at 100 IP this year.  It doesn't seem to me he has much more to prove at AA.  Will they move him up for his last 5 or so starts at Norfolk?  I also think it would be interesting to see if they movied him with Adley up at the same time.  Setting it up for them to start AAA together next year and be with the Orioles in May next season.  I think that would be something good to to excite the fan base. 

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Got a chance to watch the 5th inning on free Milb.tv, in which Rodriguez struck out the side.   The second strikeout was Riley Greene, overall no. 5 pick in 2019 and top 20-30 prospect in MLB depending which source you look at.      Rodriguez fell behind 3-0, overpowered Greene on a 3-0 fastball, got the benefit of the doubt on a 3-1 pitch that was borderline high, and struck out Greene on a nasty slider that ended up inside and ankle high after starting in the middle of the plate.   

Yes, I watched that inning as well and that was the AB that jumped out at me. Even after he got down in the count he was not afraid to go offspeed on 2-0 (missed) and 3-2. I love it when pitchers have the command to go offspeed in FB counts. To me that is even more impressive than dominating a guy on an 0-2 slider (like the last guy). 

47 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That should be Grayson's last start at AA.  12 K in 5 innings. Dominating.

Yeah it’s hard to argue with this. Let him see some more experienced hitters. If you’re not going to challenge him with innings, at least challenge him with advanced hitters. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

Yeah it’s hard to argue with this. Let him see some more experienced hitters. If you’re not going to challenge him with innings, at least challenge him with advanced hitters. 

I’m about on board with this too.   I’m not going to complain if he makes another 2-3 starts in AA but he could move now and should move soon.  

Continuing Grayson 2021 stat fun, at 8 Games Started, there are now 38 such Double-A Northeast pitchers.

His 33.0 estimated K-BB% 3rd behind a couple of 25 year old Yankee and Red Sox ringers, having opened a little daylight on Taillon trade guy Roansy Contreras, now at 29.7%.   Those four are FAR ahead of fifth place, which tumbles all the way down to low 20's.

ERA 2nd, K% 2nd, H/9 yielded 1st, he's one of only 4 of them not to have hit a batter for goodness sakes.

Feed him the Yard Goats for a weekend farewell (Friday Fireworks would be very nice, please, if the young man could...gasp...pitch on four days rest) if ye must, but I think fair to say his performance has grown from one of league's best to just plain the best.

• Upvote 2