What is your realistic ideal team makeup

kidrock

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not making any roster decisions based on what won't happen until you get named commissioner and head of the PA at the same time.

Right now I'm coming up with some semi-plausible post-apocalyptic scenarios where that's exactly what happens.  So you might want to at least sketch some tentative plans out.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Is there such a thing as a team in 2021 that emphasizes OBP over power?  I guess a team like the '20 Nats, they only averaged a bit over one homer/game with a reasonably good OBP.  But their OBP was heavily influenced by Soto and Turner, who also were 1st and 2nd on the team in homers and SLG.  Players we used to identify as leadoff hitters, .350-.400 OBPs with little power, are nearly extinct.

I had a feeling that was the case.  Not surprising.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure.

But give me the choice between dongs and winning or doing the little things and losing, give me the dongs.

Also, I don't want to ever see our pitchers "Pitching to contact".  Miss bats.

I was speaking more so on a team approach than what will win more games. I’ll take whatever approach will win more games when it comes down to it. 

And I like pitch to contact as long as there’s good defense out there. An out is an out and if I’m watching highlights I’d much rather see some diving plays, slick DP, etc than a K. Makes the game more exciting IMO. 

But yeah, just win. I figured that was a given when talking up preferred team makeup.

If AL East has a lot of smaller parks prone to HR's (including Camden Yards), stands to reason you would want pitchers who are high groundball/high strikeout/low fly ball pitchers, and conversely for batters you would want guys that hit a lot of fly balls and don't strike out. High OBP would turn more of the fly balls into 3 run HR's, although OBP probably plays well in any context. 

If you do have groundball pitchers, you would want to invest in good infield defense. Outfield speed and arms would be slightly less of a premium. 

Top 10 Fly Ball % Hitters in 2019:

Hoskins, Trout, Belt, Odor, Kepler, Jose Ramirez, Nunez, Bregman, Rendon, Moustakas

Top 10 Lowest K%:

Alberto, Fletcher, Brantley, Gurriel, Newman, Rojas, Segura, Bregman, Reddick, Frazier (Iglesias #13, Ramirez #16)

Interesting to see Nunez and Alberto on those lists with Iglesias close. Bregman and Jose Ramirez would seem to truly fit this prototype. Yes, I would take either of them. 

Top 10 GB% Pitchers:

Hudson, Castillo, Anderson, Stroman, Fried, Soroka, Strasburg, Gray, Ryu, Keller (No O's in Top 30).

Top 10 K% Pitchers:

Cole, Verlander, Scherzer, Giolioto, Degrom, Ray, Darvish, Morton, Boyd, Bieber (No O's in Top 30). 

Looks like the pitching needs work. I would think it would be easier to find value with GB pitchers than K pitchers. A SP equivalent of Britton...