O's need a better offense.

wildcard

6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

So in 10 of their now 14 losses the Orioles have scored 2 runs or less. And the only hope is some of the players on the roster start heating up because help is not on the way. 

I don't look at it like that.  Santander will be back in 3 weeks.  Diaz brings a bat with him.   The bar is not set that high at 2B for Jones and Martin to step over.   Adley is on this way.  The guys on the current roster will run out of chances if they don't perform well. 

If they do anything it should be to find a replacement for Ruiz.  The guy looks like a hitter but for parts of 3 seasons now he hasn't hit.  I'm not really sure why the O's are so infatuated with the guy.  It's not like he mashed in the minors and we are just waiting for him to figure it out.  Please let's try anything else at this point.

Edited by turtlebowl

24 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

If they do anything it should be to find a replacement for Ruiz.  The guy looks like a hitter but for parts of 3 seasons now he hasn't hit.  I'm not really sure why the O's are so infatuated with the guy.  It's not like he mashed in the minors and we are just waiting for him to figure it out.  Please let's try anything else at this point.

Ruiz did mash the last time he was sent down to AAA, but with that idk if he is more than what he’s shown. 

The offense has been a big disappointment. It’s what made games fun last year. We’re at the point where we have our best guys out there. You could argue Diaz, Jones, and AR, but this is pretty much what we are for the next few years. The first wave of bats have all arrived. They just need to produce. 

How many games will Santander and Hays be in the same lineup together?  They are both always hurt. 

51 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ruiz did mash the last time he was sent down to AAA, but with that idk if he is more than what he’s shown. 

The offense has been a big disappointment. It’s what made games fun last year. We’re at the point where we have our best guys out there. You could argue Diaz, Jones, and AR, but this is pretty much what we are for the next few years. The first wave of bats have all arrived. They just need to produce. 

How many games will Santander and Hays be in the same lineup together?  They are both always hurt. 

About 80.

Here’s how I see it:

Overperforming: Mullins, Galvis

Meeting expectations: Franco

Somewhat below expectations: Hays, Mancini, Severino, Stewart

Way below expectations: Mountcastle, Sisco, Ruiz, Santander, Urias

My view is, most players find their level eventually.   The offense is highly likely to get better from here over the season    It will still be a below average offense when it’s all said and done.    

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ruiz is way below expectations?  I expect him to not be good and that’s what he is.

2019 OPS:   .682

2020 OPS:  .713

2021 so far:  .495           (.653 for his career)

I question if he is performing on par with your pre-season expectations.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ruiz is way below expectations?  I expect him to not be good and that’s what he is.

So you expect a 27-year old with a career OPS of .667 (before this year) to post a .495 OPS?   OK, got it.    

If a .667 OPSer posts a .495, that’s just about as impactful to the team as if an .800 OPSer is suddenly posting .628.   Sure, Ruiz was a bad hitter to begin with, but he’s way below his usual bad level.   

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

But who cares?  660 OPS or 500 OPS?  Are you still terrible either way.  You are a negative player.

I expect him to be one of the worst position players on the team and probably in the league.  Whether or not his awful OpS is more awful than expected is irrelevant.

He was on pace to be a positive player (in Wins Above Replacement) in 2020 and 2019.   So far he is negative in 2021.  That is a change.    He was roughly a 1/2 WAR player in 2019 over a good chunk of the season.....which sure.....is not great.   But if you project his 2021 start to that same number of games...... he is on pace for -1.2 WAR.     Again, that is a change and I think significant.