Rally and announcement 11/12?

SpringBarb

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Viviano said there were around 2500 people at the event. Pretty much as many people showed up to see the new uniforms as they did to watch games the last couple months of the season.

It didn't seem like that many people there to me. I would have guessed 1500. It was hard to tell though because people were on all 5 floors for the event, as well as there were people there just to shop.

Did anyone see Flannigan there, I was standing near the stage at the end, and he walked up and stood next to me.

Also, I dont know who's idea it was to allow autographs right in between the escalators, but there was almost a big accident. People were coming down the escalator with nowhere to go.

Sounds like a good reason, but it just doesn't smell right to me. He has been billed as the face of the franchise for the last few years, but doesn't show up for the offseason uniform rally. Lets face it- if the Orioles had wanted him at the Rally, a workout camp in Arizona would not have stopped it. I think they realize he is not going to sign an extention and will therefore look to trade him.

Brian actually lives in Arizona during the offseason so it's not just a 'workout camp' there for him. If he was originally scheduled for something else and it only fell through very recently, it's more than likely the O's simply made plans with some players they knew could attend the event today rather than hope Brian's other plans fell through. Why would they change all their plans simply because Brian was suddenly free? Would you have gone to Jeremy or Adam and said, "Oh we don't need you anymore...Brian can be here to take your spot"? :confused: I think you've seen one too many conspiracy movies because this doesn't seem like a slight at all to me. The Reds had a unveiling event at Redsfest two years ago for what are now their current uniforms and not all their big name stars were there either. Sometimes it's just all about the schedule of the players and has nothing to do with the 'face of the franchise'.

Brian actually lives in Arizona during the offseason so it's not just a 'workout camp' there for him. If he was originally scheduled for something else and it only fell through very recently, it's more than likely the O's simply made plans with some players they knew could attend the event today rather than hope Brian's other plans fell through. Why would they change all their plans simply because Brian was suddenly free? Would you have gone to Jeremy or Adam and said, "Oh we don't need you anymore...Brian can be here to take your spot"? :confused: I think you've seen one too many conspiracy movies because this doesn't seem like a slight at all to me. The Reds had a unveiling event at Redsfest two years ago for what are now their current uniforms and not all their big name stars were there either. Sometimes it's just all about the schedule of the players and has nothing to do with the 'face of the franchise'.

Maybe you are right. Personally, I just don't know what to think about the whole deal. It just seems like they are trying to push Markakis and Adam Jones as the new faces of the Orioles. There is no sign of Roberts on any of the Orioles' promotion stuff.

As far as trading Roberts, I don't know how I feal about this. I know we could get a good return for him, but I am afraid that we won't be able to get the right pieces back. The middle of the infield is important to a ballclub. We better have a plan for filling the middle infield with some promising young talent ( if we trade Roberts ) or we are going to be in trouble.

It makes perfect sense to me to have three guys who are DEFINITELY going to be here next season and Markakis, Guthrie, and Jones are going nowhere. Roberts on the other hand could very well be gone if he doesn't sign an extension or the right offer is presented to MacPhail this offseason.

Let's face it, unless Brian signs an extension, he's most likely gone.

Overall, I really like the new unis. Especially the new stripes, and I don't mind the Maryland patch (though wickedwitch is right... there's no one outside of Maryland that knows what our flag looks like).

Am I the only one who really likes the new bird? It looks like an actual baseball mascot, rather than a drawing out of a bird-watching book written before the camera was invented.

I am disappointed that they missed the opportunity to bring the cartoon bird hat back for Sundays. That would've been perfect.

Am I the only one who really likes the new bird? It looks like an actual baseball mascot, rather than a drawing out of a bird-watching book written before the camera was invented.

I love the new bird. I liked the old one too so I wasn't too psyched that they were changing it. But this one is definitely an improvement. Looking forward to picking up a hat.

It makes perfect sense to me to have three guys who are DEFINITELY going to be here next season and Markakis, Guthrie, and Jones are going nowhere. Roberts on the other hand could very well be gone if he doesn't sign an extension or the right offer is presented to MacPhail this offseason.

Let's face it, unless Brian signs an extension, he's most likely gone.

He's in Milwaukee in the latest three way trade proposal. :)

Overall, I really like the new unis. Especially the new stripes, and I don't mind the Maryland patch (though wickedwitch is right... there's no one outside of Maryland that knows what our flag looks like).

I am disappointed that they missed the opportunity to bring the cartoon bird hat back for Sundays. That would've been perfect.

I think you'd be surprised. We have one of the more recognizable flags in the country. It also happens to be the best of the 50 state flags, in my opinion. :)

Archived