Angelos wants both Tex and Burnett?

JTrea81

Yeah, driving the price up for two teams that basically have no restrictions when it comes to payroll, that will show them.

And the BJ's already have a 4 year deal on the table, so a 3 year offer won't get it done.

The Blue Jays have indicated privately that they would be willing to go to $16 million per year to keep Burnett but that they would not want to give him a deal that would run past the 2011 season. The Atlanta-Journal constitution reported Friday that Burnett, who is viewed as an option by the Braves if they don't trade for Jake Peavy, was due to receive a four-year, take it or leave it offer from the Blue Jays.

"I haven't heard that and we haven't even gotten around to talking about money at all," Braunecker said Friday night. "That would surprise me, frankly. We've said all along that until A.J. says what he intends to do, we don't expect much to happen."

Source - Toronto Globe, Oct 24

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go all in or go home. Pay top dollar for top talent, or blow the whole thing up and get as much talent you can for Roberts, Huff, Markakis and Guthrie.

If we want to compete in this talented AL East, there is no in between.

The Rays built an inbetween team. Find me the high dollar free agent on that team, and Iwomura doesn't count.

Trading Markakis would be ridiculous. He's young and he's about to be locked up long term.

The Rays built an inbetween team. Find me the high dollar free agent on that team, and Iwomura doesn't count.

Trading Markakis would be ridiculous. He's young and he's about to be locked up long term.

The Rays had 10 years to build that team. Do you really want to wait 10 more years? And the Rays are that much further ahead of us in their scouting and development, as are the Red Sox and Yankees. We just can't catch up that quick so we can't totally rely on the farm system. And our other trade chips just won't bring that much.

Trading Markakis isn't ridiculous when you consider what he could bring back in terms of talent. He could net more than the Bedard trade...

If you could turn Markakis into Kemp, Kershaw and DeJesus, or Laporta, Miller, Hodges and ACab, you'd be hard pressed not to pull the trigger...

The Rays had 10 years to build that team. Do you really want to wait 10 more years? And the Rays are that much further ahead of us in their scouting and development, as are the Red Sox and Yankees. We just can't catch up that quick so we can't totally rely on the farm system. And our trade chips just won't bring that much.

Trading Markakis isn't ridiculous when you consider what he could bring back in terms of talent. He could net more than the Bedard trade...

This myth needs to stop... It didn't take them 10 years to build this team... In the LaMar era they tried to win with bigger name free agents and had Oriolesesque success. It's about as accurate a statement as saying that it took the Orioles 12 years to build a winner if they happened to win next year. It didn't take long at all once they hired the right GM and let him do his job.

This myth needs to stop... It didn't take them 10 years to build this team... In the LaMar era they tried to win with bigger name free agents and had Oriolesesque success. It's about as accurate a statement as saying that it took the Orioles 12 years to build a winner if they happened to win next year. It didn't take long at all once they hired the right GM and let him do his job.

You can't guarantee how positional talent will develop especially in the Orioles system. And what has MacPhail done in the draft to make you think we'll draft position players that are ML ready? He didn't draft Wieters, that was under Duquette and Flanagan. He's focused mainly on building pitching, and I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he's going to be able to find young positional talent that will allow us to compete in the next 4-5 years.

Sign Tex, Burnett, one of Mussina/Wolf/Byrd, Zaun, lock up Roberts and Markakis and trade young pitching and/or Reimold for a SS like Arias or Donald. That's a team that will reach 85 wins at least in 2009 and doesn't have to be retooled much to compete for the next 4-5 years.

It's a lot better than gambling on Andy MacPhail being able to accomplish multiple trades/needle in haystack finds to have a good starting infield in 2010 and beyond...

You can't guarantee how positional talent will develop especially in the Orioles system. And what has MacPhail done in the draft to make you think we'll draft position players that are ML ready? He didn't draft Wieters, that was under Duquette and Flanagan. He's focused mainly on building pitching, and I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he's going to be able to find young positional talent that will allow us to compete in the next 4-5 years.

Of course not, you can't guarantee anything... You can't even guarantee that signing Tex is going to mean we can pencil in a .900 OPS performance from our 1b. There has been one draft in the MacPhail era and he took the best available player. I haven't seen anything that makes me think he won't take the best available player next year and whose to say the best available player won't be a college hitter.

The Rays had 10 years to build that team. Do you really want to wait 10 more years?

We'll have to agree to disagree about trading Markakis.

I think we have a good situation building here with or without Teixeira. I'd love to have him, but I'm not going to have a meltdown if he goes elsewhere. I agree that Burnett would be a nice addition and despite his wildness, would stabilize the rotation and take a little pressure off of Guthrie for a few years until the cavalry arrives.

If the cavalry doesn't arrive, you could have 3 Mark Teixeira's and it wouldn't matter.

I wasn't talking about spending that money on trash, certainly not the level of talent they have been spending that money on. But if you can take the money that you would have paid Tex and go out and sign 3-4 players who have a much better than average chance of being type B and possibly type A free agents after 2-3 year contracts than why not do that.

Look at some of the free agent classes coming up. With the strength of the pitching in the FA class this year I think it would be more than easy to sign a few pitchers who could shore up the rotation and bring draft picks when they left.

I think it is debatable whether that plan is not just straight better than signing Tex for 8 years.

Sign Tex, Burnett, one of Mussina/Wolf/Byrd, Zaun, lock up Roberts and Markakis and trade young pitching and/or Reimold for a SS like Arias or Donald. That's a team that will reach 85 wins at least in 2009 and doesn't have to be retooled much to compete for the next 4-5 years.

It's a lot better than gambling on Andy MacPhail being able to accomplish multiple trades/needle in haystack finds to have a good starting infield in 2010 and beyond...

Good lord, man. MacPhail has presided over ONE DRAFT in Baltimore.

One draft. That statement is reactionary even for you.

Of course not, you can't guarantee anything... You can't even guarantee that signing Tex is going to mean we can pencil in a .900 OPS performance from our 1b. There has been one draft in the MacPhail era and he took the best available player. I haven't seen anything that makes me think he won't take the best available player next year and whose to say the best available player won't be a college hitter.

Have you seen the mock drafts? We are looking at possibly taking another pitcher again. The 2009 draft is very weak in positional players.

We had a chance to fill 1B with Smoak and take the cheaper alternative and we took Matusz instead. Well now we can sign Tex and still get our 1B man albeit a whole lot pricier.

And I'll take my chances on Tex reaching that .900 OPS in 2011, more than I would Billy Rowell...

Have you seen the mock drafts? We are looking at possibly taking another pitcher again. The 2009 draft is very weak in positional players.

We had a chance to fill 1B with Smoak and take the cheaper alternative and we took Matusz instead. Well now we can sign Tex and still get our 1B man albeit a whole lot pricier.

And I'll take my chances on Tex reaching that .900 OPS in 2011, more than I would Billy Rowell...

When you're penciling in our 2009 draft pick based on a mock draft, that's should just about tell you all you need to know.

We took the best player available and that is always a good thing whether it's a Catcher like two years ago or a pitcher like this year.

When you're penciling in our 2009 draft pick based on a mock draft, that's should just about tell you all you need to know.

Anything can happen in the draft, but the point is when it is weak in positional players, it's a long shot for us to get anybody that will contribute right away at the ML level. More than likely we'll pick another ML ready pitcher and more projects for the lower levels.

And if that's the case, we are going to need FA and/or ML ready players to fill that gap while those picks develop.

Anything can happen in the draft, but the point is when it is weak in positional players, it's a long shot for us to get anybody that will contribute right away at the ML level. More than likely we'll pick another ML ready pitcher and more projects for the lower levels.

And if that's the case, we are going to need FA and/or ML ready players to fill that gap while those picks develop.

Bro, the 2009 NCAA football season hasn't even ended.

Nobody has the faintest idea who's gonna step up and who's gonna peter out. A lot has to happen before any blogger or baseball america talking head can sit there and say, "This will be your top 10." Right now, they're basing off of what they saw last year.

Archived