Angelos wants both Tex and Burnett?

JTrea81

Anything can happen in the draft, but the point is when it is weak in positional players, it's a long shot for us to get anybody that will contribute right away at the ML level. More than likely we'll pick another ML ready pitcher and more projects for the lower levels.

And if that's the case, we are going to need FA and/or ML ready players to fill that gap while those picks develop.

Possibly, but why do you think MacPhail is incapable of finding players like the Rays found their 1b or the Cubs found their 1b or the Padres found their 1b?

Why do you think MacPhail couldn't find players to fill other holes like he filled the LF hole and CF hole this year? Why the assumption that if not Teix everything is hopeless?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We took the best player available and that is always a good thing whether it's a Catcher like two years ago or a pitcher like this year.

Matusz was the best pitcher available, not necessarily the best player available. That could have been Posey or even Smoak, but Matusz was not hands down the best player the Orioles could have got IMO.

Possibly, but why do you think MacPhail is incapable of finding players like the Rays found their 1b or the Cubs found their 1b or the Padres found their 1b?

Why do you think MacPhail couldn't find players to fill other holes like he filled the LF hole and CF hole this year? Why the assumption that if not Teix everything is hopeless?

What did he do this year to fix the hole at SS? He traded Tejada in December and yet the best he could do was Juan Castro in July.

And everything is not hopeless, provided we have a firesale and get as much young ML ready talent on the team as possible.

Matusz was the best pitcher available, not necessarily the best player available. That could have been Posey or even Smoak, but Matusz was not hands down the best player the Orioles could have got IMO.

There were differing opinions but with most of the rankings I saw Matusz graded out higher than either of those two.

What did he do this year to fix the hole at SS? He traded Tejada in December and yet the best he could do was Juan Castro in July.

Rome wasn't built in a day... He plugged 2 holes last offseason, with that track record, why do you think he's incapable of doing the same this offseason?

Rome wasn't built in a day... He plugged 2 holes last offseason, with that track record, why do you think he's incapable of doing the same this offseason?

He plugged two holes and opened up a gaping hole in the rotation and another at SS, and he filled neither. The rotation hole I can understand because we thought our younger pitchers were ready, but the hole at SS is completely inexcusable.

He plugged two holes and opened up a gaping hole in the rotation and another at SS, and he filled neither. The rotation hole I can understand because we thought our younger pitchers were ready, but the hole at SS is completely inexcusable.

If he doesn't address that hole this offseason you'll have a valid complaint... But again, there is no reason to think he isn't going to address it this offseason.

If he doesn't address that hole this offseason you'll have a valid complaint... But again, there is no reason to think he isn't going to address it this offseason.

It shouldn't have taken him last offseason, the whole season and into this offseason to address the SS hole, that's my complaint and it's certainly valid because any competent ML GM should have been able to fill that hole a lot sooner than he did. Heck we knew the Luis Hernandez experiment wouldn't work in April...

No, there isn't.

I wonder how we'd all feel if Jason Barlett was our starting SS. I'm sure we'd be clamoring for a new SS that could hit or something, because who can live with a .690 OPS....

It shouldn't have taken him last offseason, the whole season and into this offseason to address the SS hole, that's my complaint and it's certainly valid because any competent ML GM should have been able to fill that hole a lot sooner than he did. Heck we knew the Luis Hernandez experiment wouldn't work in April...

There was no reason to make a panic move during the season. Not like SS prevented us from contending... Patience is a virtue but again, if he doesn't address it this offseason it will be a valid complait.

No, there isn't.

I wonder how we'd all feel if Jason Barlett was our starting SS. I'm sure we'd be clamoring for a new SS that could hit or something, because who can live with a .690 OPS....

A .690 OPS would have been an improvement over the dreck we were putting out there. Heck our SS's couldn't even field. At least Bartlett can field...

The bottom line is I am extremely skeptical MacPhail can build a team that can compete within the next 4-5 years without supplementing via FA, and Tex and Burnett are two prime opportunites to do so.

We can't use the next 4-5 years to rebuild and hopefully Peter Angelos feels the same way and goes all in for both of them and extends Roberts and builds around the core we already have. It's a lot quicker and more surfire than relying on Andy MacPhail to build a competitive team within that same timeframe.

Archived