Angelos wants both Tex and Burnett?

JTrea81

The bottom line is I am extremely skeptical MacPhail can build a team that can compete within the next 4-5 years without supplementing via FA, and Tex and Burnett are two prime opportunites to do so.

We can't use the next 4-5 years to rebuild and hopefully Peter Angelos feels the same way and goes all in for both of them.

I agree about supplementing via FA... Build a strong foundation from within and supplement what you have by adding the final piece or two that you haven't been able to develop internally. And again you are greatly exaggerating how long building internally would take. With the org where it is you can cut that timeframe in half.

It's building through FA that doesn't work out well IMO.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The bottom line is I am extremely skeptical MacPhail can build a team that can compete within the next 4-5 years without supplementing via FA, and Tex and Burnett are two prime opportunites to do so.

We can't use the next 4-5 years to rebuild and hopefully Peter Angelos feels the same way and goes all in for both of them.

Who's saying don't supplement the team via free agency?

I'm certainly not saying that. I am saying that if you don't get everything you *WANT* don't have a temper tantrum and trade everything you've got. Markakis is one of the best young players in baseball. You lock him up long term.

We can't use the next 4-5 years to rebuild and hopefully Peter Angelos feels the same way and goes all in for both of them and extends Roberts and builds around the core we already have. It's a lot quicker and more surfire than relying on Andy MacPhail to build a competitive team within that same timeframe.

You are drastically overrating Burnett.

Who's saying don't supplement the team via free agency?

I'm certainly not saying that. I am saying that if you don't get everything you *WANT* don't have a temper tantrum and trade everything you've got. Markakis is one of the best young players in baseball. You lock him up long term.

I just don't see us drawing any prime FA's here to Baltimore besides those two, so that's why I am saying if we pass on both, then we've got to find another way to get talent into the system.

And trading Markakis is the best route IMO. I realize because he's the best homegrown player to come out of the Orioles system in some time that people have an attachment to him, but it's it's his status that makes him such a valuable trade chip.

I could see teams emptying their farm systems for Markakis. Other than the fact that he's a fan favorite, why wouldn't you want to deal your best trade chip for some teams best young ML ready prospects? Now that's truly rebuilding.

Name another FA pitcher with Burnett's talent that wants to play for the Baltimore Orioles.

I don't care...Going the route of FA for starters is usually a piss poor idea.

AJ isn't worth more than 3 years because of his history...I am ok with going for 4 years because of our need and his desire to be here.

But you are basically saying to give him a blank check..give him 5 years, etc...

That is just horrible on every level.

I just don't see us drawing any prime FA's here to Baltimore besides those two, so that's why I am saying if we pass on both, then we've got to find another way to get talent into the system.

And trading Markakis is the best route IMO. I realize because he's the best homegrown player to come out of the Orioles system in some time that people have an attachment to him, but it's it's his status that makes him such a valuable trade chip.

I could see teams emptying their farm systems for Markakis. Other than the fact that he's a fan favorite, why wouldn't you want to deal your best trade chip for some teams best young ML ready prospects? Now that's truly rebuilding.

How about he's our best player who's already proven it at this level and his best is yet to come?

Trading Markakis would be ridiculous. He is and will continue to be one of the cornerstones of this franchise for a long time.

I don't care...Going the route of FA for starters is usually a piss poor idea.

AJ isn't worth more than 3 years because of his history...I am ok with going for 4 years because of our need and his desire to be here.

But you are basically saying to give him a blank check..give him 5 years, etc...

That is just horrible on every level.

All FA pitching contracts are horrible to get good pitchers. But you can't bank on all of the big three staying healthy and productive and reaching their potential either.

Good FA pitching is going to be expensive, that's just the nature of it, but in order to compete, we can't just rely on our homegrown arms. And I doubt you'll be able to get the same performance out of Randy Wolf or Paul Byrd. Those two would be good 1 year deals but Wolf will get a multi year deal and Byrd isn't on Burnett's level.

Why do you think prime FA's is the only way to go? The Rays did a good job filling their 1b hole w/a less than prime FA. Red Sox did the same to plug their hole until Youk was ready. What is it that makes you think MacPhail and the O's are incapable of doing something similar?

How about he's our best player who's already proven it at this level and his best is yet to come?

Trading Markakis would be ridiculous. He is and will continue to be one of the cornerstones of this franchise for a long time.

Trading Markakis is a bad idea this offseason(unless you are completely blown away).

However, if he fails to sign an extension this offseason, we should look to deal him between now and ST of 2010...That would be 6-12 months of trying to convince him to stay and if he doesn't want to, then you trade him.

What good is having one AS player in the OF when you have nobody in the infield besides Wieters under contract for 2010?

Markakis is a luxury on a rebuilding team.

If we are going to be serious about rebuilding this team, and forgoing FA until we are "ready to compete." Then Markakis just like any other player on the team should not be untouchable.

All FA pitching contracts are horrible to get good pitchers. But you can't bank on all of the big three staying healthy and productive and reaching their potential either.
You can't bank on AJ being healthy either but that is an 80 million dollar risk potentially.
Good FA pitching is going to be expensive, that's just the nature of it, but in order to compete, we can't just rely on our homegrown arms.
No, you rely on home grown and making trades.

Why do you think prime FA's is the only way to go? The Rays did a good job filling their 1b hole w/a less than prime FA. Red Sox did the same to plug their hole until Youk was ready. What is it that makes you think MacPhail and the O's are incapable of doing something similar?

Because the Orioles don't have the scouting staff of the Rays or Red Sox, and those FO's don't have a micro-managing GM that can only work on one deal at a time.

What good is having one AS player in the OF when you have nobody in the infield besides Wieters under contract for 2010?

Markakis is a luxury on a rebuilding team.

If we are going to be serious about rebuilding this team, and forgoing FA until we are "ready to compete." Then Markakis just like any other player on the team should not be untouchable.

24 year old players who are the best at their position(or one of the best) are never ever luxuries.

No, you rely on home grown and making trades.

What can we trade to get a possible TOR, because that's what Burnett is or would be for the Orioles. Roberts or Huff will not net one. Guthrie might, but I doubt it.

We just don't have trade chips to deal for all the talent we need to compete with the division.

Archived