Angelos wants both Tex and Burnett?

JTrea81

It shouldn't take 4+ years to get there and that's the pace we're on (if all goes right) if we pass on top FA's or don't completely blow the team up IMO.

Slow and steady won't win the AL East...

The 2008 Tampa Bay Rays have proven this statement patently false.

Sustainability is a different question. Right now, the Red Sox are the most consistent model and the budget differential between them and the Orioles is around 2:1. In my opinion, this makes comparisons meaningless in the short term.

Slow and steady is the only option for the Baltimore Orioles for sustained progress barring a radical increase in budget - something that so far exists only in the realm of speculation.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, Markakis will be entering his prime at 30-31 years old, but Roberts and Huff are going to start to decline at 31 and 33 and must be traded? Seems like a double standard ;).

But, on a serious note, we must lock up Markakis to atleast a 6 year deal. I'd prefer 7.

Yeah, you're right...though I've never claimed to know when a player is entering their prime and when their production may or may not start to slip.

Rome wasn't built in a day... He plugged 2 holes last offseason, with that track record, why do you think he's incapable of doing the same this offseason?

He may have plugged two holes, but the USS Oriole hit an iceberg 10 years ago, and the gaping hole needs a lot more caulk!

I'm still not convinced that Nick will sign an extention, not without seeing some progress on this team.

The way I see it we have two choices:

1. Go for it over the next 3 years with Markakis, Jones, Wieters, sign Roberts to an extention and sign Tex.

2. If you don't sign Nick to an extention this off season, and Tex is not signed, then build for 4+ years from now by dealing Nick and Roberts.

Yeah, you're right...though I've never claimed to know when a player is entering their prime and when their production may or may not start to slip.

It's different for every player. However, if you ask me, Nick is entering his prime right now. The next six years are likely to be the best six of his career. I'd love to lock him up at least that long, if not a bit longer.

Tex is in his prime right now,and probably has a few seasons before he begins to slip. He's at a high enough level where he will still be far above average even when he starts to slip.

I'm still not convinced that Nick will sign an extention, not without seeing some progress on this team.

The way I see it we have two choices:

1. Go for it over the next 3 years with Markakis, Jones, Wieters, sign Roberts to an extention and sign Tex.

2. If you don't sign Nick to an extention this off season, and Tex is not signed, then build for 4+ years from now by dealing Nick and Roberts.

He'll either sign an extension or he's an idiot. No way do you turn down huge guaranteed money when you're one day away from being guaranteed nothing for the remainder of your career.

Personally I don't think Nick is an idiot, so I think he definitely signs. I think he'll be able to milk a few more dollars out of the O's playing the "I'm not sold on the direction of the franchise" card, but there will never be a point in time where he'll actually consider turning down $70M+ guaranteed, he'll just use that card to try and get the monetary value up even higher, which will probably work.

He'll either sign an extension or he's an idiot. No way do you turn down huge guaranteed money when you're one day away from being guaranteed nothing for the remainder of your career.

Personally I don't think Nick is an idiot, so I think he definitely signs. I think he'll be able to milk a few more dollars out of the O's playing the "I'm not sold on the direction of the franchise" card, but there will never be a point in time where he'll actually consider turning down $70M+ guaranteed, he'll just use that card to try and get the monetary value up even higher, which will probably work.

You may be right...but young people usually underestimate injury risk, and he may be thinking he only has one "prime of his career". Would it be better spent playing on a 4th/5th place team, or playing on a WS contender.

Personally I don't think Nick is an idiot, so I think he definitely signs.

I am sure Nick Markakis has purchased insurance against a career ending injury, so he is protected from being guaranteed nothing for the remainder of his career. Any reputable agent will make sure this is the first thing that any young professional athlete does.

Nick will be guaranteed to be a multi-millionaire in about 4 months from now after he either agrees to a contract (either one year or long term), or he has his arbitration case settled. Nick has two nice houses, so I doubt he is hurting for money now.

I don't think any premier player who decides to play out his initial arbitration years without signing a long term deal would be considered an idiot. Mark Teixeira has had several opportunities to sign lucrative long term deals during his arbitration years. Does that make him an idiot for waiting until free agency? Picking your place to play and then having multiple teams vie for your services could very well be an intelligent way to go.

The chances of Nick Markakis signing a $100 million dollar plus contract if he decides to file for free agency in three years is pretty high. The chance of him having a career ending injury, or even a significant long-term performance decline in the next few years is pretty low.

Nick may choose to accept nice salary increases through his arbitration years, then file free agency in 3 years allowing him to choose where he plays and signing a huge contract in the process. I wouldn't call him an idiot for doing so.

You may be right...but young people usually underestimate injury risk, and he may be thinking he only has one "prime of his career". Would it be better spent playing on a 4th/5th place team, or playing on a WS contender.

I'm hoping he puts pressure on the orgamnization to improve before he signs anything. Not likely to happen, but I can hope...

Having Surhoff and Baines on the team in the mid 90's helped get them to the playofffs. If PA didn't can Davey Johnson and Gillick and fill the rotation with guys like Drabek, Ponson and Kemieniecki they maybe we wouldn't have had eleven straight losing seasons.

Having Surhoff and Baines on the team in the mid 90's helped get them to the playofffs. If PA didn't can Davey Johnson and Gillick and fill the rotation with guys like Drabek, Ponson and Kemieniecki they maybe we wouldn't have had eleven straight losing seasons.

Guh? Gillick is the one who signed Drabek and Kamieniecki, and brought Ponson to the majors for the first time. In fact, Kamieniecki was a mainstay in the O's rotation in their wire-to-wire season in '97. Bad examples there.

I am sure Nick Markakis has purchased insurance against a career ending injury, so he is protected from being guaranteed nothing for the remainder of his career. Any reputable agent will make sure this is the first thing that any young professional athlete does.

I'm curious, I know teams can purchase insurance for players they've contracted with. But can players really purchase insurance based on potential earnings?

I'm curious, I know teams can purchase insurance for players they've contracted with. But can players really purchase insurance based on potential earnings?
College basketball players do it all the time when they decide to return for a year rather than jump to the NBA.

Of course, the policies are for far less than their potential earnings. A handful of millions, not dozens.

Archived