Some Os pitching stats so far

Sports Guy

Some of the stats we are seeing from the pitching staff the far(MLB rankings in parentheses):

Team ERA: 3.99 (13th)

FIP: 4.15 (17th)

WAR:  3.0 (9th)

BB rate: 3.29 (13th)

K rate:  8.73 (24th)

HR rate:  1.22 (19th)

Starters ERA: 4.71 (23rd)

Relievers ERA: 3.06  (5th)

• Upvote 3

Nice to see all these stats.

I've got to say, it's so much more fun watching a team that is pitching (pretty) well. 2017-2019 were just brutal...

O's Team ERA and MLB rank:

2017- 4.97 (27th)

2018- 5.18 (30th)

2019- 5.59 (30th)

Would love to see us stay in the top 15 or so for team ERA all year.

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Some of the stats we are seeing from the pitching staff the far(MLB rankings in parentheses):

Team ERA: 3.99 (13th)

Starters ERA: 4.71 (23rd)

Relievers ERA: 3.06  (5th)

Mid-point value between starters and relievers 3.89, meaning bullpen has near the same amount of IP.  That seems bad in my head, but I feel like the MLB has gone more and more towards shorter starts. 

Any which it's nice to see some improvement over the last few years.  Still hopeful that some of these young guys come in and make this better. 

Some random numbers that I like to look at from some of the pitchers:

Means:  str%: 65%...swingstr: 21.4%
Harvey: str%: 61.9%..swingstr: 15.2%
Zimmerman:  65%...20.8%
Tate:  62.3%...12.3%
Scott:  55.1%...26.8%
Valdez: 67.3%...27.7%
Kremer: 61.9%..15.6%

Few observations:

1). Harvey has been missing more bats lately.

2) Scott has 6 walks in his last 2 innings.  We all know the talent is there but the command and control can be off.  That obviously has to improve.

3) I like Tate’s arm but if he doesn’t start to miss more bats and throw more strikes, he will find himself out of baseball.

4) Means is for real..just a matter of how good will he end up.

5) Zimmerman’s stats are a pleasant surprise.  Being a legit 4th type starter would be very nice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Tate:  62.3%...12.3%

3) I like Tate’s arm but if he doesn’t start to miss more bats and throw more strikes, he will find himself out of baseball.

On the other hand, his exit velo is top 1%, so that's something.

24 minutes ago, Ripken said:

If Scott finds some control and Harvey ever stays healthy, and both are problems, that could be a nasty bullpen.

I’m at the point with Harvey that I’d never plan on him being healthy.   It’ll just be found money if he’s ever able to stay healthy and effective.   

As to Scott, I gave my thoughts in another thread.    I honestly don’t know that he’ll ever be able to avoid having some games where he’s got no sense of where the ball is going.    He’s a useful reliever who can be dominant when he has a feel for the strike zone, but some days that just doesn’t happen.  

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Are you saying here that contact off of him is weak?  (Sorry, just making sure I’m clear on what you are saying)

That's Melewski's take: "He is doing a pretty remarkable job of getting weak contact to this point, with an average exit velocity against of 81.5 mph. That ranks in the top one percent in the big leagues."

I do recall a discussion here awhile back about that stat (or was it BABIP?) not being as significant as we might think. Weak contact and low exit velo both sound good to me...

11 minutes ago, now said:

That's Melewski's take: "He is doing a pretty remarkable job of getting weak contact to this point, with an average exit velocity against of 81.5 mph. That ranks in the top one percent in the big leagues."

I do recall a discussion here awhile back about that stat (or was it BABIP?) not being as significant as we might think. Weak contact and low exit velo both sound good to me...

Well, I don’t know that there is much evidence that suggests that is a repeatable skill.  That’s the issue iirc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

If Scott finds some control and Harvey ever stays healthy, and both are problems, that could be a nasty bullpen.

I forgot about Hunter Harvey. I like him, but it's a long shot he ever stays healthy enough to put together any kind of career. I won't write him off, but anything Harvey provides will be a bonus to the team. 

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, I don’t know that there is much evidence that suggests that is a repeatable skill.  That’s the issue iirc.

And to clarify further, are you referring to BABIP or exit velo (or both?)