How far are the O's away from being a winning team?

wildcard

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I hope this is a joke.  It would be a  shame to think you can't see the talent that is playing now.  There are too many holes to be a winner at this point but that does not diminish some of the talented players on the team.  Add Adley, Grayson, DL and maybe Vavra,  Bradish and Dorrian this off season and the switch will be flipped. 

I don't disagree that there's some good stories this season so far, but there's a long way to go before this team will be competitive. The good thing is there's still a lot of season left for some of the guys I like to turn things around.

How depressing is it to read the Rays trade their starting SS, not to clear room for the #1 prospect in baseball in Franco, but for 2 other highly rated middle infield prospects in Walls and Brujan?  I look forward to the days when we can make similar moves.

I imagine some spokesperson will give this rebuild's variation on the timeless nugget at some point.

“The only thing that keeps this organization from being recognized as one of the finest in baseball is wins and losses at the major league level.” — Rays GM Chuck LaMar, after the club compiled a 451-680 record and six last-place finishes in its first seven seasons

Granted the MLB day-to-day is bad, but it was never not going to be bad early this year.   I think on aggregate the 20 best Orioles doing fair to middlin' at least.

19 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

It is always darkest just before dawn, so hold on to that axiom, and keep holdingggggggggggggggggggggg.  

Don't beat on a wall, and expect it to become a door.

This team is just bad but on the plus side Elias in November told us...

"In last week’s video conference call, Orioles executive vice president/general manager Mike Elias raised expectations for the team when he said he felt there were “not a lot of holes right now.”"

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2020/11/10/32721/

We could very well have a rotation at some point in 2022 of Means, Rodriguez, Hall, Rocker/Leiter, Bradish/etc....

That’s how you maximize Means’ value so you don’t have to trade him. Rodriguez, Hall, and Bradish, might be ready by the end of the year. 

Next year could be real fun if our GM wanted it to be. 

36 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We could very well have a rotation at some point in 2022 of Means, Rodriguez, Hall, Rocker/Leiter, Bradish/etc....

That’s how you maximize Means’ value so you don’t have to trade him. Rodriguez, Hall, and Bradish, might be ready by the end of the year. 

Next year could be real fun if our GM wanted it to be. 

I doubt Rocker/Leiter are in the majors on 2022 but your point is well taken.  Grayson, DL and Adley are key players that could be with the O's next season.  Keeping Means  is going to be important to the timeline of when the O's will contend.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I doubt Rocker/Leiter are in the majors on 2022 but your point is well taken.  Grayson, DL and Adley are key players that could be with the O's next season.  Keeping Means  is going to be important to the timeline of when the O's will contend.

It’s also why giving them, especially Adley, time up here this year is important.

However, the Means point is an interesting one and should definitely figure into the decision of whether you trade him or not.