A game we had to win - for my sanity

Frobby

There were a lot of high points in today's games (and some low ones), but one that I haven't heard mentioned -- and I was tuned to YES for the game and the post-game -- was the final play: Hicks' throw, with the game on the line, was 30 feet up the line, maybe more. Jack Cust could have scored on that throw. Hmm, he might have scored. 

The NYYs are a real good team, but they've got some holes, and it's enjoyable to see them get exposed. 

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Considering we went 3-7 against them last year and 2-17 in 2019, I’m feeling pretty good about 3-4.

That was kind of my point. 3 games against them already is a pretty good start.

Not your father's Yankees...

12 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

There were a lot of high points in today's games (and some low ones), but one that I haven't heard mentioned -- and I was tuned to YES for the game and the post-game -- was the final play: Hicks' throw, with the game on the line, was 30 feet up the line, maybe more. Jack Cust could have scored on that throw. Hmm, he might have scored. 

The NYYs are a real good team, but they've got some holes, and it's enjoyable to see them get exposed. 

They mentioned it on the MASN broadcast.   Unfortunately, Hicks had TJ surgery a year or two ago and his arm just hasn’t bounced back.   He also made a bad throw on the Hays double that scored Mullins.   

Great game for Trey last night; OPS up to .773! Also, I notice he seems to hit better when he's DH'ing. Maybe Hyde should make him the DH more often, especially this season as he works his body back to 100%.

In 2021:

OPS when DH'ing: 1.054

OPS when playing 1B: .692

Over his whole career:

OPS when DH'ing: .887

OPS when playing 1B: .835

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Philip said:

The Yankees are making dumb plays on the bases, their catcher is lousy, defense on the infield can be spotty... hmmmm. Or am I talking about the Orioles?

There pitching will probably get them back in the race, but from what I've seen their defense will keep them from winning anything major. Can't keep Judge in the OF, Hicks is over the hill, not even sure who there regular LF'er is but I've seen Gardner out there. Not the Yankee way from the Jeter years.

20 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Jack Cust... now there's a name I haven't heard in a while.  Say what you want... he knew how to get on base.  Classic Oakland A's type player. 

Hicks contract extension and play so far are the type that kill mid level spending teams but for the Yankees they can just eat it if they have to and go get someone else.  He has been hurt much of it and very poor play when he is in lineup.  He can’t throw anymore his speed has dropped off and the bat isn’t much.  He also still has 4.5 years left at about 50 million left for a 32 year old outfielder clearly past his prime.  As I have said before it isn’t just the big spending teams advantage to give out huge money for stars they can gamble on mid level guys and it won’t kill them for years they will just eat it if they have too.  They don’t really have replacement in system but I expect they look for one if this year ends up like the last two.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

There pitching will probably get them back in the race, but from what I've seen their defense will keep them from winning anything major. Can't keep Judge in the OF, Hicks is over the hill, not even sure who there regular LF'er is but I've seen Gardner out there. Not the Yankee way from the Jeter years.

They still got 4.5 years left on Hicks contract too.