2021 Orioles Prospect Power Rankings (Top 50)

Tony-OH

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tony, any intel from MiL spring training about who’s been looking good?   I did draw my own inferences about some of the 2019 draftees who got placed at Aberdeen vs. Delmarva.   

It was very hard to get information as even some of my contacts seemed leery on giving up much info, especially anything about injuries or who wasn't pitching. I'm guessing this comes from above.

I got the same thing as some of the Orioles press about Ortiz gaining some weight and really hitting the ball with authority. I saw on some video posted on Twitter that Zach Peek was hitting 94 MPH this spring and supposedly pitching 92-94. Felix Bautista was hitting 100 MPH. Heard Conner Greene started slow but has thrown the ball much better of late and that Fernando Abad and Eric Hanhold both could help the team this year in some roles if needed. 

I'm just glad the season is getting started so we can see for ourselves finally.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

I thought this article on Kyle Bradish by Meoli in the Baltimore Sun yesterday was interesting.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-reset-kyle-bradish-20210503-gtxextizt5egpjo7gx65nl6q2y-story.html

Because of his velocity jump, the delivery work, and the pitch mix, Bradish is one of the top pitching prospects in the organization, at least in the Orioles’ estimation. In the offseason, the consensus within the player development department was that Bradish was in the tier below the Rodriguez/DL Hall duo atop their pitching ranks, but right with Mike Baumann atop the next level.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

I thought this article on Kyle Bradish by Meoli in the Baltimore Sun yesterday was interesting.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-reset-kyle-bradish-20210503-gtxextizt5egpjo7gx65nl6q2y-story.html

Because of his velocity jump, the delivery work, and the pitch mix, Bradish is one of the top pitching prospects in the organization, at least in the Orioles’ estimation. In the offseason, the consensus within the player development department was that Bradish was in the tier below the Rodriguez/DL Hall duo atop their pitching ranks, but right with Mike Baumann atop the next level.

Let's hope that's true. This would be a great development. I'm looking forward to seeing him at Bowie this year.

Here’s a few comments from Luke in the days after the trade:

“ Brnovich  - weird mechanics, big time college performer, deception, blah velocity (BA's 107th overall draft prospect in 2019)”

“Brnovich is more advanced than Bradish in terms of development/pitchability. He's going to start at least as high as Peek and Lucas. He could move very quickly if put in the pen.”

Brnovich is a better version of Gillispie, better out pitch and third pitch.”

“Brnovich and Mattson, maybe 26-30 range, maybe off the 30.”

“Brnovich- the slider is actually a knuckle curve, Fastball 88-92, has been up to 94 in the past”

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Frobby! It must be extra challenging to build this list because of the lost year. Who knows which players made a leap in that time. I love that our system is deep enough that a guy like this isn’t even in our top tiers but could still find a way to the majors. And then add in the international guys who haven’t been assigned.  There’s quality in quantity (yes I stole that). 

11 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Thanks Frobby! It must be extra challenging to build this list because of the lost year. Who knows which players made a leap in that time. I love that our system is deep enough that a guy like this isn’t even in our top tiers but could still find a way to the majors. And then add in the international guys who haven’t been assigned.  There’s quality in quantity (yes I stole that). 

It's part of the reason I decided to try doing power rankings and expanding it 40 plus bubble players so everyone can kinda see how players move around lower on the list and know who to maybe follow a little closer.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It's part of the reason I decided to try doing power rankings and expanding it 40 plus bubble players so everyone can kinda see how players move around lower on the list and know who to maybe follow a little closer.

It’s a great idea and I recall there was one year several years ago now where you did something similar.   Because of the lost MiL season I’m expecting a lot of changes in where guys are initially placed on this list, and maybe some unexpected new entries as the year progresses.   As you said, it’s nice to have some actual games on which to make evaluations.