2021 Orioles Prospect Power Rankings (Top 50)

Tony-OH

21 hours ago, seak05 said:

Henderson has greater potential defensive value then Mayo, has performed at a higher level, he's also only 6 months older. 

Henderson will probably be on nearly all top 100 lists this year, Mayo is a guy they'll be watching. They had a BA guy on the OTV podcast and asked about Mayo, basically what's holding him off of top100 lists is skepticism he'll stay at 3b and also his swing against better velocity.

Personally I think their is a lot of bias towards where guys were ranked in the draft, and it takes a couple years for prospect lists to lose the bias & base it on pro performance. If Mayo had been a first/second round draft pick, he'd be on top 100 lists 

If Mayo was a first round pick he'd be easy on top 100 lists. Remember, these guy don't watch all these guys, they can't. They look at drafted status, bonus, and then stats. Take all these top 100 lists with a huge grain of salt.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If Mayo was a first round pick he'd be easy on top 100 lists. Remember, these guy don't watch all these guys, they can't. They look at drafted status, bonus, and then stats. Take all these top 100 lists with a huge grain of salt.

Mayo and the other draft successes gives me confidence in our FO. They’ve had to play by new rules, and limited scouting of players, but still look like they’re 3/3 in hitting home runs in drafts. 

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mayo and the other draft successes gives me confidence in our FO. They’ve had to play by new rules, and limited scouting of players, but still look like they’re 3/3 in hitting home runs in drafts. 

Its still early but there are some promising hitters drafted for sure. I wish the pitching was deeper though.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Its still early but there are some promising hitters drafted for sure. I wish the pitching was deeper though.

I like the risk adverse strategy of drafting hitters and letting someone else spend the resources developing pitchers. After all, when it’s time to compete, you only need 5 SP. Other than Kjerstad having a fluke condition, the only other long term injury was Joey Ortiz. Meanwhile, look at Hunter Harvey, and look at DL Hall. I’d say both Harvey and Hall were draft successes big time by our org, but it’s just so much to develop and keep a arm healthy. 

I like loading up on the bats and then using the extra bats as currency to acquire established SP. 

Elias has been on the money other than having AR up for September, losing Pop, and Kjerstad having a fluke injury. 

We definitely have 6 top 100 prospects right now in AR, GR, Hall, Cowser, Mayo, and Gunnar. Westburg is right there. So is Stowers. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like the risk adverse strategy of drafting hitters and letting someone else spend the resources developing pitchers. After all, when it’s time to compete, you only need 5 SP. Other than Kjerstad having a fluke condition, the only other long term injury was Joey Ortiz. Meanwhile, look at Hunter Harvey, and look at DL Hall. I’d say both Harvey and Hall were draft successes big time by our org, but it’s just so much to develop and keep a arm healthy. 

I like loading up on the bats and then using the extra bats as currency to acquire established SP. 

Elias has been on the money other than having AR up for September, losing Pop, and Kjerstad having a fluke injury. 

We definitely have 6 top 100 prospects right now in AR, GR, Hall, Cowser, Mayo, and Gunnar. Westburg is right there. So is Stowers. 

?

You forgot someone.  I'm not going to tell you because I'm a jerk like that.

17 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm okay with the strategy on paper, but I want to see how it actually plays out which we won't know for a few years (or until we see a trade or two of our positional talent for an arm or two). I think as part of the strategy we also need to see if an arm or two from each draft (where we take the arms in bulk late) steps up as someone who can at least help out in the pen. If it turns out that we are developing plenty of offensive talent, using it when needed to acquire starting pitching, and getting some cost-controlled, serviceable middle inning arms, that would be the dream scenario. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 4:08 PM, RZNJ said:

Rutschman

Rodriguez

Hall

Cowser

Kjerstad

Mayo

I think there are 6 really good cases there.

Henderson

Stowers

Westburg

Possible but not as likely as the top 6, IMO.

Who else?

Next guy on my list for a chance at the top 100 sometime next year would be Pinto.

My Orioles Top 20 Prospects

1. Adley
  2. Grayson
  3. Cowser
  4. DL Hall
  5. Mayo
  6. Henderson
  7. Stowers
  8. Kjerstad
  9. Westburg
  10. Baumann
  11. Bradish
  12. Rom
  13. Vavra
  14. Norby
  15. Pinto
  16. Neustrom
  17. Brnovich
  18. Bautista
  19. Mundy
  20. Alex Wells
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, wildcard said:

My Orioles Top 20 Prospects

Bautista, Mundy, Alex Wells

Great list. Edited it down to the debatable part. I would just tend to go with players with higher ceilings then Bautista, Mundy, and Alex Wells. Players like,

OF John Rhodes - 3rd rd pick from our most recent draft. He was only eligible because the draft got pushed back from June to July. Big time stats at Kentucky, in a big time conference. Rhodes was on track to touch first rd status next draft. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=rhodes004joh

P Carter Baumler - Coming off TJS, but again another guy with first round talent. 

C Samuel Basaillo - pretty much did everything you could ask for from a 16 yo big bonus Catcher. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=basall000sam

It’s a good system when you leave off a 20/20 CF in AA.  At this point the Dashbachs, Welks, Dorrians, and relievers of the world have to really put up big time numbers in AAA for me to consider them legit prospects. Just too low of ceilings.