2021 Orioles Prospect Power Rankings (Top 50)

Tony-OH

On 5/4/2021 at 9:32 AM, jabba72 said:

I haven't read anything about Westburg this offseason, is the team pretty high on him to rank him at #5?

It's where he falls on the list after removing Mountcastle (graduated), Baumann (injured), and Hjerstad (injured).

Tony, thanks for putting this together. Great idea! Many intriguing players and pitchers to see for ourselves, finally. 

Beyond the more acclaimed prospects, the pitchers that were drafted in 2019, along with those acquired in trades under Elias, are of particular interest for me. 

OF Rob Neustrom is a guy who has swung the bat well in Bowie, so far. (SSS and all) He will not be 25 until November. Fifth round pick in 2018. He was my breakout candidate for 2020, before COVID. 

https://www.milb.com/player/robert-neustrom-680438

Seven new players enter the power rankings as injuries and roles have caused seven players to be dropped.

This was Opening Day Power rankings:

Orioles Prospect Power Rankings
Rk Name  Pos Team Up/Down
1 Adley Rutschman C Bowie (AA)  
2 Grayson Rodriguez RHSP Aberdeen (A+)  
3 Gunnar Henderson 3B/SS Delmarva (A-)  
4 DL Hall LHSP Bowie (AA)  
5 Jordan Westburg SS/3B Delmarva (A-)  
6 Dean Kremer RHSP Baltimore  
7 Zac Lowther LHSP Norfolk (AAA)  
8 Keegan Akin LHSP Norfolk (AAA)  
9 Yusniel Diaz RF Norfolk (AAA)  
10 Terrin Vavra 2B/OF Bowie (AA)  
11 Hudson Haskin CF Delmarva (A-)  
12 Alex Wells LHSP Norfolk (AAA)  
13 Drew Rom LHSP Aberdeen (A+)  
14 Darrell Hernaiz 2B/SS Delmarva (A-)  
15 Brenan Hanifee RHSP Bowie (AA)  
16 Adam Hall 2B/SS Aberdeen (A+)  
17 Jahmai Jones 2B Bowie (AA)  
18 Kyle Bradish RHSP Bowie (AA)  
19 Kyle Stowers RF Aberdeen (A+)  
20 Kevin Smith LHSP Bowie (AA)  
21 Bruce Zimmerman LHSP Baltimore  
22 Anthony Servideo SS/2B Delmarva (A-)  
23 Ryan McKenna OF Norfolk (AAA)  
24 Adam Stauffer RHSP Delmarva (A-)  
25 Rylan Bannon 3B  Norfolk (AAA)  
26 Tyler Nevin 1B Norfolk (AAA)  
27 Zach Peek RHSP Delmarva (A-)  
28 Leonardo Rodriguez RHSP Delmarva (A-)  
29 Garrett Stallings RHSP Aberdeen (A+)  
30 Joey Ortiz SS/2B Aberdeen (A+)  
31 Zach Watson CF Aberdeen (A+)  
32 AJ Graffanino SS Aberdeen (A+)  
33 Toby Welk 3B Aberdeen (A+)  
34 Connor Greene RHP Norfolk (AAA)  
35 Eric Hanhold RHP Norfolk (AAA)  
36 Grey Fenter RHP Bowie (AA)  
37 Blaine Knight RHP Aberdeen (A+)  
38 Maverick Handley C Aberdeen (A+)  
39 Jaylen Ferguson OF Bowie (AA)  
40 Kevin McGee LHSP Aberdeen (A+)  
BB Isaac Mattson RHP Norfolk (AAA)  
BB Cody Sedlock RHP Bowie (AA)  
BB Griffin McLarty RHP Delmarva (A-)  
BB Dallas Litscher RHP Aberdeen (A+)  
BB Felix Bautista RHP Aberdeen (A+)

On 5/8/2021 at 12:28 PM, Tony-OH said:

My goal is to update this weekly. 

Guys in consideration to move into the poll. Kyle Brnovich, Nick Vespi, Brandon Young, Johnny Rizer, and Cadyn Grenier. 

I for one LOVE this idea. I’m sure it will come with it’s own challenges, but it always feels (in normal times) like prospect lists are antiquated after a month or so. I’m sure this year it will be even more variable. 

• Upvote 1

Gotta wonder where AR is at the end of this year. Not that I don't like him, but his hitting transition takes some luster off for sure, and there's 3 guys looking like real studs right behind him. 

Conversely, it seems like Joey Ortiz could be the highest riser of the group.

On 5/17/2021 at 6:01 PM, Tony-OH said:

Updated as of 17 May. Some movement at the bottom of the list as I'm not ready to make much adjustment at the top over a week or two.

Will Mundy ever rise to prospect status? Just watching him he seems like a solid contact guy that will take a wall.

Updated as of 17 May. Some movement at the bottom of the list as I'm not ready to make much adjustment at the top over a week or two.

The smart thing is to give it time before you make changes unless something notable in the profile changes. After all, if Wells comes out throwing 95, we have a different prospect on our hands.

The internet thing is to move guys a few spots up and down based on hot/cold small samples. In the end, it'll come out in the wash. By that standard, we're looking at Grayson, Gunnar, Hall, AR ...

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

Will Mundy ever rise to prospect status? Just watching him he seems like a solid contact guy that will take a wall.

Looks like he has a pretty good eye and his bat has potential, but at first glance he looked pretty rough in the field. And he could use some time in the gym. 

8 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Looks like he has a pretty good eye and his bat has potential, but at first glance he looked pretty rough in the field. And he could use some time in the gym. 

He's certainly a stocky fellow. I enjoy watching him along with the obvious guys on Salisbury.

Lol, isn't the whole idea of "power ranking" to overreact on a real time basis to small sample sizes?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I like his swing. It's compact, doesn't have a ton of miss, and he seems to generate decent pop. I want to see him perform over a month or so before putting him on the scene, but I'm paying attention to him no doubt.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Lol, isn't the whole idea of "power ranking" to overreact on a real time basis to small sample sizes?

Kinda. I guess I'm more willing to move guys around lower on the list just because they are a little more volatile. I never intended to move say Rutschman off #1 just because he had a few bad weeks. 

I've already moved Vavra up because I really like the bat so as we get closer to a month into the season, I will start moving guys around a little more at the top of the list.

4 hours ago, LookinUp said:

The smart thing is to give it time before you make changes unless something notable in the profile changes. After all, if Wells comes out throwing 95, we have a different prospect on our hands.

The internet thing is to move guys a few spots up and down based on hot/cold small samples. In the end, it'll come out in the wash. By that standard, we're looking at Grayson, Gunnar, Hall, AR ...

Yeah, I don't see the top 5 or 6 being very volatile but I think I will start moving some guys around below that.

Also, Zimmerman, Kremer and maybe Akin should graduate the list before the All-star break anyways. Mckenna is theory could as well with amount of time on the 40-man, but he should go back down once Santander is ready.