Every now and then, the Sports Gods throw you a bone: John Means' No Hitter

Sanfran327

Was at the gym in the afternoon, planning on catching the last couple innings. Sometime around 430 I realized it was Means pitching today and cut my session short, raced to my favorite bar in Fells Pt and watched the last 4 innings. Me and a couple other guys went nuts on that last out, ran out into the street and were high fiving strangers. 

• Like 2

A bit of no hit trivia.   Of the 10 no hitters by this franchise{Browns/Orioles}, 30% of them had the Final score of 6-0.  This includes multi pitcher no hitters.  Means performance today was IMO  the most dominating no hitter, as judged by only 1 runner on base.  Means is a horse,  and I hope this is only the beginning of his pitching exploits.    

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

First Oriole no-hitter since a combined effort in 1991. Can you name the four Orioles who threw that no-hitter? 

Olson closed it out. It was against Oakland. I remember watching it. 

Flanagan was in it. 

Mark Williamson. 

I want to say Milacki started that game. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Olson closed it out. It was against Oakland. I remember watching it. 

Flanagan was in it. 

Mark Williamson. 

I want to say Milacki started that game. 

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He did.  I was drawing a blank on Williamson.

Milacki got injured during the game and had to be pulled early leading to the combined no hitter that day. 

Will this be replayed on Masn tonight?   If anyone knows?    Work got in the way today and I completely forgot a game was on.   My buddy messaged me in the 9th.   But it was too late.   Regardless, so happy for Means and the O’s!

52 minutes ago, murph said:

Will this be replayed on Masn tonight?   If anyone knows?    Work got in the way today and I completely forgot a game was on.   My buddy messaged me in the 9th.   But it was too late.   Regardless, so happy for Means and the O’s!

Just started 1 minute ago.  

Means looked like he thought the long fly was gone when it was hit.  This is great!

Back in 1969 when Palmer threw his no hitter it seemed the Orioles would always have great pitchers and lots of no hitters.  Palmer, McNally, Cuellar in the rotation that year.  Little did I know I'd wait 52 years until the next one!

Has this been posted yet?  Per MLB.com:

Means became the first pitcher in Major League history to throw a non-perfect no-hitter in which the opposing team did not reach base on a walk, hit-by-pitch or error, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Can't wait to be at Pub Trivia Night when the host pulls out that question!