Kyle Bradish 2021

Frobby

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Here is a recent interview with Kyle Bradish:

Nice interview - certainly the right call to mute TV during Matt Harvey's death throes.

The growing up in Oregon and being a Little League catcher in parallel with Adley was not something I would have guessed, and not pitching full time until college hopefully means the tank is very full.

4 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Bradish with his first AAA win - one run in five innings.

He's learning that AAA is much tougher than AA. Lot of solid ML caliber hitters on the Knights' roster who have hit a bunch of soft singles and made him work. Held his own today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

He's learning that AAA is much tougher than AA. Lot of solid ML caliber hitters on the Knights' roster who have hit a bunch of soft singles and made him work. Held his own today.

I would imagine so. It seems we've had several struggling in the transition. That's one reason I like to see the pitchers check all the boxes.

On 5/30/2021 at 3:41 PM, LTO's said:

He had a much better outing Sunday than last Tuesday. Stayed in the zone and generally stayed ahead in the count to most hitters. You could tell by the third inning, he was relaxed and pitching to his usual pace. 69 pitches for five full inning is good.

• Thanks 1

I watched all of Bradish's start on Sunday and a few others earlier in the year (i didn't see his AAA debut).

Pros: Has a real nice three pitch mix with the fastball (94 avg), curve and slider. That slider has become a real difference maker as it gives himself something hard (85-87) with some horizontal movement. It compliments well with his fastball and gives the batter two legitimate breaking balls to look for along with his 80-82 hammer.

The change is very hard and more of a slow fastball that comes in the 88-90 mph range. it does not have very good movement and is not a very effective pitch other than to hopefully get the batter's timing off a bit.

Command is what will determine his ultimate role in the big leagues. He needed 89 pitches to get through 5 innings yesterday and wasn't able to get the curveball over effectively low in the zone. The ones he left up got hit. He was missing arm side a lot with the fastball so it looks like maybe a mechanical thing that he can correct. 

He got a decent amount of swing an miss but, his velocity did look like it feel off a bit after the 2nd inning. 

He was holding his 94-95 into 75+ pitches I'd be more excited about his prospects as a starter, but right now I'm going to tamper those expectations a bit until we can see better command and the ability to hold his velocity from the 75-100 pitch point. 

Can he be a starter in the big league if that happens, certainly. The good news is a see a guy who would probably pitch 96-97 pretty consistently with two potential plus breaking pitches in relief so his floor still looks like a major league pitcher. 

He's a nice story though and with some more experience he could really end up something nice out of the Bundy trade.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The change is very hard and more of a slow fastball that comes in the 88-90 mph range. it does not have very good movement and is not a very effective pitch other than to hopefully get the batter's timing off a bit.

I have it on good authority that he has been experimenting with a different grip for his change up. I really like how his slider is developing. It has the horizontal movement that you expect, but also some drop due to his delivery.

Edited by Lurker

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

I have it on good authority that he has been experimenting with a different grip for his change up. I really like how his slider is developing. It has the horizontal movement that you expect, but also some drop due to his delivery.

If he can find a way to come up with an effective change that he can get down to mid 80s and get a little drop or fade, that would really allow all his other stuff to play up.