Stay Classy Philadelphia!

ScottieBaseball

I've been to several Eagles and Philles games and I love the atmosphere they have..I love it. But there are jerks at all sporting events I had beer thrown at me from a eagles fan (though they were trying to hit the Cowboys fans sitting next to me) but I still love watching their games. You may hate Philly fans but hey 11 years of losing and they still love the teams and pack their stadiums. Wish I could say the same for my fellow O's.

Not really trying to defend the stupid stuff they do but most fans I've been around don't act as stupid as reported by the media.

11 years of losing? What are you talking about? Philly has competitive teams year in and year out - and when they don't, the fans don't come out at all. Take a look at the Sixers. To say their fans support their teams better then Baltimore fans is absurd. When was the last time Philadelphia had a team with a losing streak like the O's?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been to several Eagles and Philles games and I love the atmosphere they have..I love it. But there are jerks at all sporting events I had beer thrown at me from a eagles fan (though they were trying to hit the Cowboys fans sitting next to me) but I still love watching their games. You may hate Philly fans but hey 11 years of losing and they still love the teams and pack their stadiums. Wish I could say the same for my fellow O's.

Not really trying to defend the stupid stuff they do but most fans I've been around don't act as stupid as reported by the media.

The Phillies haven't had 11 straight losing seasons since 1948. In 2004, when they moved into the new stadium, they were second in the NL in attendance. But the following year, they were 9th in the NL in attendance despite being at least 10 games over .500 both those years.

In 2000, when the Phillies were suffering through their 7th straight losing season, they were 13th of 16 in the NL in attendance (1.6m). In 2004, when the O's were suffering through their 7th straight losing season, they were still 5th of 14 in the AL in attendance (2.7m).

2005: The O's were in their 14th year in their new stadium and their 8th straight losing season (74-88), and drew 2.62m fans. The Phillies were in their 2nd year of their new stadium, were 88-74 and were coming off of 86-76 seasons each of the previous two years. They drew 2.66m fans.

This post is not meant to be a knock against Philadelphia fans. The same is true EVERYWHERE; you keep losing and the fans eventually stop coming. You keep winning and you'll do alright.

Just to sort of wrap this up, I tried to go to the parade yesterday. My wife and I went to take the regional rail into the city, but every one was already full by the time it got to our stop. We saw about 6 go by before we decided to just hit the local bar and celebrate there.

By around 3:30 the place was packed, with a lot of people who went to the parade and then drove back out to my neck of the woods (NW Philly). Everybody seemed to have a great time down there, and I'm sorry I couldn't make it.

During the speeches in the ballpark, Chase Utley said "World F-ing Champions!" to much laughter and applause, though many people are complaining about it this morning (they clearly didn't watch the All Star game and so missed the joke).

All in all I'm happy for the Phillies and their fans. They get way more crap than they deserve, what with people always bringing up the Santa incident (40 years ago -- let it go already), the Michael Irvin incident (people were initially cheering for a hard hit, then a few dopes took it to far), etc. 90% of the fans I've met are just like the quality sort of fans we have here at Orioles Hangout. The other 10% are like Yankee fans. ;)

Baltimore has waited too long to experience this sort of fun. I hope we get there soon.

We agree so completely about this. Being in West Philadelphia right now makes me sick.

By any chance, do you spend most of your days on a playground, chillin' out, maxin', and relaxin' all cool just shootin' some b-ball outside of the school?

You can always move with your auntie and uncle to Bel Air.

Too obvious?

Not at all - you didn't take it far enough, if you ask me!

11 years of losing? What are you talking about? Philly has competitive teams year in and year out - and when they don't, the fans don't come out at all. Take a look at the Sixers. To say their fans support their teams better then Baltimore fans is absurd. When was the last time Philadelphia had a team with a losing streak like the O's?

Your right sorry, I was meaning to apply to the entire city lack of championships for the last 50 years and the fact the Philles have lost more games than anyone. I will haft to say I know nothing about basketball. It was wrong of me to compare fans support. I love the O's but I just admire Phillies/Eagles fans and how into the games they get. I just wish people would realize the stupid stuff Philly fans due happens at every sporting event and their fanbase isn't as horrible as its made out to be.

Your right sorry, I was meaning to apply to the entire city lack of championships for the last 50 years and the fact the Philles have lost more games than anyone. I will haft to say I know nothing about basketball. It was wrong of me to compare fans support. I love the O's but I just admire Phillies/Eagles fans and how into the games they get. I just wish people would realize the stupid stuff Philly fans due happens at every sporting event and their fanbase isn't as horrible as its made out to be.

I agree, Philly has great fans in general. I really don't mind Philly anywhere near as much as I mind Boston. In fact, I think Baltimore and Philly have a lot in common....

Ha, I never realized west Philly was mentioned in those lyrics. I'll be happy to move to Bel Air if Penn moves its campus.

In West Philadelphia, born and raised

on the playground where I spent most of my days...

chilin out maxin relaxin all cool shottin some bbal outside of the school

when a couple a guys...

Archived