Albert Puljos DFAed!

scOtt

24 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Summer maybe, if we're REALLY playing. The Bros are pretty tight tho, for all their good traits. Team needs to really step it up or we're consigned to the duration I'm afraid. DL or not...

If the season actually starts in time and they’re playing a full season, at that point it doesn’t really cost anything to cut him, other than paying some other player a pre-Arb salary to take his spot.   

It’s not as though the team has never eaten a final year of a contract.   They ate Brady Anderson’s, which was much smaller than Davis’, but a big number by the standards of 2002.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If the season actually starts in time and they’re playing a full season, at that point it doesn’t really cost anything to cut him, other than paying some other player a pre-Arb salary to take his spot.   

It’s not as though the team has never eaten a final year of a contract.   They ate Brady Anderson’s, which was much smaller than Davis’, but a big number by the standards of 2002.

Probably not even that since I'm guessing he's going to be spending time on the IL if he's on the roster.

• Upvote 1

Yes I was thinking about exactly this question. If the angels are brave enough to dump Albert, and eat the rest of his money, because he’s taking playing time from other more deserving players, can the Orioles do the same, even though the money involved is a tremendous amount? I vote yes.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Yes I was thinking about exactly this question. If the angels are brave enough to dump Albert, and eat the rest of his money, because he’s taking playing time from other more deserving players, can the Orioles do the same, even though the money involved is a tremendous amount? I vote yes.

I guess the Orioles are keeping Davis on the roster and not cutting him on the rare chance Davis decides to retire and the Orioles are off the hook of the remaining monies.  

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

I guess the Orioles are keeping Davis on the roster and not cutting him on the rare chance Davis decides to retire and the Orioles are off the hook of the remaining monies.  

I think that if Davis was going to walk away he'd have done so by now.  I think they are more interested in the expiring CBA.

Wow, what a precipitous drop.   Everyone knew the last years of the contract would be problematic, but the fact that his first year with the Angels was significantly worse than his worst year with St Louis, and that he pretty much got worse every year thereafter, made it especially bad.

Perfectly understandable if he’s actually 4 or 5 years older than he claims. 

17 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Oh I know they’re keeping him around for financial reasons, they are hoping that the CBA problem results in a work stoppage, they don’t have to pay during the work stoppage and they can save some money that way.

3 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Wow, what a precipitous drop.   Everyone knew the last years of the contract would be problematic, but the fact that his first year with the Angels was significantly worse than his worst year with St Louis, and that he pretty much got worse every year thereafter, made it especially bad.

Perfectly understandable if he’s actually 4 or 5 years older than he claims. 

Long-term contracts are generally stupid. This was one of the most stupid.

I'm sure Angels management did not make this decision hastily or with any satisfaction.  From a business standpoint, it made total sense.  But from a human standpoint, I'm sure it was agonizing.  Everything I read about Pujols and his work with charities, the community, and in the clubhouse is he is a positive influence and great human being.  It's easy to cut a jerk, but a guy like Pujols has to be difficult.  He is a bright guy and has a lot to offer the world after his baseball career is over, whenever that may be.  I would like for him to retire, because he is 2 hits behind Eddie Murray on the all-time list and I'd like to keep him there.

I think it is similar for Davis.  Chris is a good guy that is very active in charities and the community.  It's tough to kick those people out the door.  On the other hand, the Orioles are paying a lot of money for the privilege of having a "nice guy" around that doesn't contribute any more than that.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the only thing keeping him on the roster is the possibility that they won't have to pay him his full salary in 2022.

I don't see how this would happen.  I'm sure they're going to play a full 162 next year.  

But whatever, I'm assuming they're going to bring him back later this summer and ruin whatever somewhat good juju they've got going on right now.

14 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

I'm sure Angels management did not make this decision hastily or with any satisfaction.  From a business standpoint, it made total sense.  But from a human standpoint, I'm sure it was agonizing.  Everything I read about Pujols and his work with charities, the community, and in the clubhouse is he is a positive influence and great human being.  It's easy to cut a jerk, but a guy like Pujols has to be difficult.  He is a bright guy and has a lot to offer the world after his baseball career is over, whenever that may be.  I would like for him to retire, because he is 2 hits behind Eddie Murray on the all-time list and I'd like to keep him there.

I think it is similar for Davis.  Chris is a good guy that is very active in charities and the community.  It's tough to kick those people out the door.  On the other hand, the Orioles are paying a lot of money for the privilege of having a "nice guy" around that doesn't contribute any more than that.  

Albert Pujols has a quarter of a billion dollars in the bank, he is certainly not going to stop with any of his charity work, And he’s definitely going into the Hall of Fame. I can’t think of any reason to be upset about telling a guy who is done, and who has been done for years, that he is done.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't see how this would happen.  I'm sure they're going to play a full 162 next year.  

But whatever, I'm assuming they're going to bring him back later this summer and ruin whatever somewhat good juju they've got going on right now.

Do you know something about the upcoming labor negotiations that I don't?

I think we have a pretty fair chance to have some sort of work stoppage.