May 14: Yankees back in town

SteveA

Just now, Il BuonO said:

Lakins was outer half the entire AB to Urshela, never changing the the eyeliner to come inside. Part of it is Severino not being very good at sequencing and the other is the guys throwing three ball don’t have an idea. 

This. Later pitch, Seve put the glove down and away, and Laikins missed way up and in. He STILL just fouled it off.

Why Plutko wasn't used for 2 or 3 innings we'll never know? Seems like the perfect role for him. Then he bails on Sulser quick when he's been better than Lakins all year. 

Hyde wants to use a bunch of relievers which means he takes the chance that one will throw up a cookie like Lakins did.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Why Plutko wasn't used for 2 or 3 innings we'll never know? Seems like the perfect role for him. Then he bails on Sulser quick when he's been better than Lakins all year. 

Hyde wants to use a bunch of relievers which means he takes the chance that one will throw up a cookie like Lakins did.

Agreed. There's your "quick pull". Let him pitch 2 at least.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm sure the media will ask probing questions as to Hyde's strategy.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As I recall, when Plutko joined the team, much was made of the fact that the Orioles needed guys who could pitch multiple innings, and Plutko supposedly was able to do just that.

Can't do it when he's pulled after only one inning, though.

• Upvote 1

When you 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed. When you use  a succession of relievers who aren't very good -- and these guys after Plutko aren't very good -- the chance that one of them will screw up is pretty good. As long as you're not witching L/R, you're better off using fewer mediocre pitchers in a game.

25 minutes ago, Natty said:

I just keep wondering if Mounty can hit ML pitching. 

I think he’ll turn it around.  He’s got all the bat speed in the world.  He just needs to adjust to the off-speed stuff.  The guys I worry are the ones who struggle with the plus fastball (e.g. Chance Sisco).