Do these comments on the Tigers’ rebuild attempt apply to the Orioles?

Frobby

Sounds like it.  I am willing to let this mess go through this year since covid really screwed everything up.  However, I'm done watching the junk rentals at this point.  They need to get AR, and whomever else can help, in Baltimore in 2022.  I hope that's Gunnar and GrayRod or something like that.  And they need to add at least one real FA.  This should be a .500 team next year.

I feel like my understanding of what comes next is minimal. Are the Orioles for sale at some point soon? And depending on that answer, what kind of payroll will we be working with when we’re maxing out what the organization can produce talent-wise? All the cost cutting makes sense if we’re positioning to sell. If not, is it a warning sign that we’ll never have the payroll competitiveness again that we’ve had since the move to Camden Yards. Without knowing that macro info, I’m pretty clueless about how much we can do in terms of free agency. And how to approach Means/Mancini. And more. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

It is beyond doubt that Elias has either a timeline, or a list of specific goals to be met before he switches from acquiring future assets to present assets.

When this year’s trade season starts it will be interesting to see what he acquires. I’m tired of signing useless players. Cheap but useless. Iglesias was quite good and we traded him. Milone wasn’t very good but we traded him. And a bunch of guys who are useless.

I don’t want extensions or long term contracts but I don’t want the Yolmer Sanchez of the world either.

Edited by Philip

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

It is beyond doubt that Elias has either a timeline, or a list of specific goals to be met before he switches from acquiring future assets to present assets.

When this year’s trade season starts it will be interesting to see what he acquires. I’m tired of signing useless players. Cheap but useless. Iglesias was quite good and we traded him. Milone wasn’t very good but we traded him. And a bunch of guys who are useless.

I don’t want extensions or long term contracts but I don’t want the Yolmer Sanchez of the world either.

Galvis is close to 1 WAR already with career high OPS and solid defense. I would call that useful. Harvey has been useful. I'm not sure who you are expecting as long as the team is under .500.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Galvis is close to 1 WAR already with career high OPS and solid defense. I would call that useful. Harvey has been useful. I'm not sure who you are expecting as long as the team is under .500.

Main goal of Mike’s acquisitions so far has been “inexpensive” I.e. “Cheap” so he’s looking for cheap serviceable players. Sanchez was apparently so bad he was released, But the main goal of the FA acquisitions has been “cheap.” If they produce, that’s literally just a bonus. 

But Cheap is the main focus

I would like to see him focus less on inexpensive players and instead look for well-rounded players who have recent consistent success and who can be counted on to help the team on the field and not to be flipped.

I strongly feel there are easily available players who are better than the guys we are currently putting on the field, not because they are plentiful, but because the guys we have on the field are really that bad.

53 minutes ago, Philip said:

Main goal of Mike’s acquisitions so far has been “inexpensive” I.e. “Cheap” so he’s looking for cheap serviceable players. Sanchez was apparently so bad he was released, But the main goal of the FA acquisitions has been “cheap.” If they produce, that’s literally just a bonus. 

But Cheap is the main focus

I would like to see him focus less on inexpensive players and instead look for well-rounded players who have recent consistent success and who can be counted on to help the team on the field and not to be flipped.

I strongly feel there are easily available players who are better than the guys we are currently putting on the field, not because they are plentiful, but because the guys we have on the field are really that bad.

Such as? As you suggested yourself we are interested in placeholder contracts. Anyone better than Harvey/Galvis/Sanchez will be wanting more years as well as dollars. I think Elias is thinking about value and flipping potential, not exactly the same as cheap.

God.  I have been screaming this in my criticism of Elias and people have just told me I am crazy.

Not just prospects, but Elias assumed nothing was here sold what he had for pennies on the dollar for single A prospects who are mile away.

Not to mention they are trying to do this in the single worst time to do it for the development of prospects in the history of baseball history, if unforeseen.

You are never going to rebuild solely from prospects.  You have to spend money, you have to sign guys to short deals and see if they can be pieces.  This is a lot easier for big market teams, and that sucks, Manfred is doing his best to ruin this game.  But there's no reason you can't take chances on $10 million / 1 year deals or even $15/ 2 year deals (unless ownership is a problem)  The Yankees got an MVP candidate out of it.

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Such as? As you suggested yourself we are interested in placeholder contracts. Anyone better than Harvey/Galvis/Sanchez will be wanting more years as well as dollars. I think Elias is thinking about value and flipping potential, not exactly the same as cheap.

My point is that Mike’s goal at the moment is cheap rather than good. If he signs somebody cheap and they turn out to be good, well that’s great, but it’s not great because it means the team is better, but because it means he can flip the guy for a future prospect. But “cheap” is the main thing. Valaika is awful but cheap, Sisco is awful but apparently cheaper than the guys we have or could easily get( I disagree with that, but that seems to be the party line.) same for Severino, for Ruiz, for Urias. Galvis isn’t worth anything in trade but is worth his cost right now.

So the disappointment in Franco, for instance, is not that he’s terrible on the field, but that he has no trade value.

I am getting a little impatient with the rebuild, and I want him to switch priorities. I don’t want to blast a lot of money on flops such as we’ve already seen in hideous plenty, but I want legitimate good guys who are reasonably priced and can be expected to give value over the full contract length. 
That is not impossible, it’s not even difficult if you move quickly, something that Dan never did.

Also, Mike’s virtue is supposedly high tech analytics, so he should be able to see opportunity in guys that might be missed by other organizations.

I do not think he is actively trying to lose, if he is I will be very angry. But I do think that he is not trying to win, and he is deliberately avoiding things that would improve the on field product, and it’s time for that to stop.

21 minutes ago, Philip said:

My point is that Mike’s goal at the moment is cheap rather than good. If he signs somebody cheap and they turn out to be good, well that’s great, but it’s not great because it means the team is better, but because it means he can flip the guy for a future prospect. But “cheap” is the main thing. Valaika is awful but cheap, Sisco is awful but apparently cheaper than the guys we have or could easily get( I disagree with that, but that seems to be the party line.) same for Severino, for Ruiz, for Urias. Galvis isn’t worth anything in trade but is worth his cost right now.

So the disappointment in Franco, for instance, is not that he’s terrible on the field, but that he has no trade value.

I am getting a little impatient with the rebuild, and I want him to switch priorities. I don’t want to blast a lot of money on flops such as we’ve already seen in hideous plenty, but I want legitimate good guys who are reasonably priced and can be expected to give value over the full contract length. 
That is not impossible, it’s not even difficult if you move quickly, something that Dan never did.

Also, Mike’s virtue is supposedly high tech analytics, so he should be able to see opportunity in guys that might be missed by other organizations.

I do not think he is actively trying to lose, if he is I will be very angry. But I do think that he is not trying to win, and he is deliberately avoiding things that would improve the on field product, and it’s time for that to stop.

I think you are expecting too much. If we aren't signing anyone long term we need to find value. My expectation is some of these guys will over perform and turn into something but the majority will not. Anything we get is bonus as far as I am concerned. I'm pretty happy with Iglesias, Harvey, Milone, Valdez, Galvis. Sure, Franco has been terrible but who was a better player out there that could hold down 3B on a one year deal? You're not going to win them all when you are talking about replacement level guys.