Do these comments on the Tigers’ rebuild attempt apply to the Orioles?

Frobby

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

They both should have been dealt after 2016.

What they got for them really wasn’t that bad.

Britton wasn’t pitching that great and had some injury issues in 2018.  To get someone with even decent upside like Tate wasn’t a bad trade.

Same With Manny.  Diaz was a top 50 guy (and is still good but can’t stay healthy) and guys like Bannon, Kremer and Pop all had/have upside to be valuable players.

If they don’t work out, that doesn’t change the process of the trade.

The only question I have, w/r/t Manny is could they have gotten more talent if they accepted less quantity.  I wanted Lux and May for him.  Both were in A ball and neither was a top 100 guy.  That doesn’t mean LA would have dealt either but just saying, if they had, quality over quantity would have been warranted imo.

Otherwise, I don’t see that they got bad returns for them.

As for the other trades, the Angelos family screwed up the 2018 trades, especially Gausman and we still have to wait and see on the Bundy return.  Those guys have barely played since we got them.

I wanted Britton to be shopped around after 2016 because he was coming off the best single season for a closer ever. And very few relievers will have a run of success like Mariano Rivera or Trevor Hoffman so why not cash in while you can.

When you don’t have the budget of the Yankees you need to be forward thinking. Britton in 2016 would have landed quite the package of prospects in return. 

Manny should have been traded sooner too since at least publicly the O’s never indicated they wanted to sign Manny long term. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I wanted Britton to be shopped around after 2016 because he was coming off the best single season for a closer ever. And very few relievers will have a run of success like Mariano Rivera or Trevor Hoffman so why not cash in while you can.

When you don’t have the budget of the Yankees you need to be forward thinking. Britton in 2016 would have landed quite the package of prospects in return. 

Manny should have been traded sooner too since at least publicly the O’s never indicated they wanted to sign Manny long term. 

They waited too long to trade Johnson.  I was hoping they wouldn't repeat the mistake.

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They waited too long to trade Johnson.  I was hoping they wouldn't repeat the mistake.

Trading a guy early (and on time) is something that Tampa has figured out.  They would rather err on the side of being too early.  If the Orioles want to emulate them they can't afford to get attached to players and have to recognize what a sustainable level of replacement player is.

On 5/17/2021 at 8:30 AM, SteveA said:

We traded 3 months of Manny Machado and we got Kremer, who may wind up in our rotation for a few years, and Diaz who still has potential.  For 3 months of Manny, I think that's a pretty good return.

The Gausman/O'Day deal was pretty much a salary dump, yet we may have gotten a pretty decent pitcher in Zimmermann.  Given the nature of that deal, if we get a major league contributor, that's a plus to me.

Britton deal might be a failure, that damn offseason injury hurt his value. 

Bundy too soon to tell but given that he is having multiple years in the Angels rotation it looks likely we won't have gotten enough value back in that one.

But on the whole, I wouldn't say those deals are quite as bad as you characterize them.

All the usual disclaimers apply: we could have done better by dealing Manny and Britton earlier.  Gausman deal was about money and not rebuilding.  But given those constraints, I don't think we did that badly.

As to Bundy, right now his ERA is at 6.02.   He’s been horrible in his last few starts.    He’s a free agent at the end of the year.    Meanwhile two of the players we got, Bradish and Brnovich, are doing very well in AA and high A, respectively.   Too soon to tell on them, but Bradish got a lot of rave reviews last year at the alt site.   

I agree with the talk of being proactive on trades and that means Means needs to go at the deadline. His trade value will likely never be higher and I wonder if pushing him back to miss NYY was, at least in part, done to keep his numbers up as they start taking offers. 

4 hours ago, vab said:

I agree with the talk of being proactive on trades and that means Means needs to go at the deadline. His trade value will likely never be higher and I wonder if pushing him back to miss NYY was, at least in part, done to keep his numbers up as they start taking offers. 

What makes you think John Means would not have had a good start vs the Yankees?